Spiderman 3 (Black)

Conano

Limp Gawd
i'm not totally sure how this mod will come out. It's not really even a mod. More like custom Paint job. I am attempting to do a spiderman 3 theme case. I like the look of the black spiderman, so i thought i would give it a shot. After much talk and a lot of debate with the wife who is a painter we decided that doing the theme totally exact wouldnt work. Problems i've run into so far are.

1) Finding a netting to the do the black hexagonal patterns took a very long time to find. i must have looked over atleast 50 sites. most of which were chineese based sites that wanted to charge like 50$ shipping for only 10 bucks worth of netting.

2) at first i used a gloss black, followed by a dark grey primer to give a contrast between the hex patterns and hex outlines. But once i added a gloss coat to seal it, the grey became almost invisable. Although that might have been a good idea, it just int show up enough to even stand out. when i say invisiable, i mean you had to strain to see it.

So after that little set back, the wife an i decided to do the hexagonal pattern in a crome paint. but instead of solid chrome, we decided to shoot it from a distance basiclly causing an overspray look. Then fallowed up with an overspray of gloss black to tone it down some.

3) this problem i still have not been able to solve. Although i'm not going to use the square type pattern of the spiderman costume, i do intend to add webs. But the problem is what material do i use? I thought about creating a pattern and cutting it out of acrylic, but that would be a massive undertaking. Having it outsourced to a company would likely be time consuming and very exspencive. I would have loved to use aluminum plate, then have it powder coated a gloss black, then assembled to the case. But after some calls and such that was going to easilly run over 250$. Not a good bargin if i say so myself. So we hav enot hashed that out yet.

Ok, to get on with it, i bought a thermaltake Xazer III case a few years ago, Black. But have grown somewhat tired of it since. So i decided i would redo it.

Original case:
01_v1000a.gif

After dissasembeling, which i might add is a very complicated case, not your run of the mill basic design. But i didnt get pictures of dissasembly. Didnt think about it till i had started painting the case. So i'll show those pictures now.

SD533375.jpg

SD533376.jpg

SD533373.jpg

SD533383.jpg

Those are pictured of the basic black. Now i have some of the hex pattern that i added as well....

SD533398.jpg

SD533372.jpg

SD533396.jpg

I will add more later as i get more of the case assembled. There is a window that goes into the case. I belive i will use a UV Reactive paint with a UV cold Cathode to create the Spider Emblem that Spiderman is so well known for. But this isnt decided yet. I was also concidering one made out of acrylic and painted gloss black.

For now, i hope you enjoy what i'm trying to create here, and please feel free to pipe in suggestions. I could use the knowledge of those out there with more experiance than i have. :)

I really like that detail. Brings out the black spidey-carbon fiber look.

That pattern looks awesome. I'll tune in to see how you progress, awesome work.

thats a very cool effect. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. And I'd recommend not just painting, but also while you have the chassis torn down, mod any fans to 120, make any cuts for routing wires etc. Now is a great time for that.

the Thermaltake Xazer 3 came with 7 fans stock.... i may change out the fans, to some more apropriate in color. Red perhaps. but more fan holes? this case doesnt need lol... Now, Adding filters and such thats a diff story.

I am Still having problems Finding something to use as the Webbing. I am guessing i'm going to have to break down, Draw my pattern out on thin plywood, then use a router to cut the pattern out of acrylic sheet. Unless anyone can think of something else.

Sorry i havent updated this in a while. There havent been any updates really, i've been serching all over for what i need.

I really like the hex pattern job you did!

looks really good so far...good luck

News. I Finally found a guy Locally with a CnC Machine. I am supposed to go sometime next week to talk to him about doing the desing for the webbing. If his price is outta my range i plan to scrap the whole Spiderman Black Theme and go with a Tranformers Bumblebee Theme instead.

I am sorry this has taken soooo long. I know how dissapointing it is to not get to see the finished product. but i'm working on it :)

That's looking really nice...I was thinking of airbrushing my case, but I'm scared :D

More pics of your progress!
Looks like a great theme to work on, i'm jealous.

Wow, very creative. Nice use of netting, it gives a really cool effect!

Sorry for no updates on this. Due to stupid hurricanes all work was lost on this project. kinda sux. Cause i had totally gone a different direction and decided to do an ironman theme instead. I had gotten the Gold painted, as well as was working on the Red using duplicolor's red anodized spray. But Work slowed down the progress, and by time i got to get around to it. Gustav ended it.. :(.

Sorry for no updates on this. Due to stupid hurricanes all work was lost on this project. kinda sux. Cause i had totally gone a different direction and decided to do an ironman theme instead. I had gotten the Gold painted, as well as was working on the Red using duplicolor's red anodized spray. But Work slowed down the progress, and by time i got to get around to it. Gustav ended it.. :(.

Man that sucks... sorry to hear that... :(

sorry to hear that, and it was looking good as well Xaser 3 is a good case though.

Back