360 August price cut confirmed?

that will boost holiday sales for sure..

it would be crazy if both nintendo and sony drop..

however.. nintendo wouldn't drop cause demand is still high lol..

I already have an Xbox360.. hopefully more people discover how good of a system it is.. i was a big doubter of the 360. but i had to swallow my pride after i got one lol..

50 off is nice I suppose. I wonder whether the elite and core will likewise drop. If they core drops to 249 it'll be in wii price competition.
Current rumour says that it's just the premium getting $50 off. Looks like being:

Core: $279
Premium: $349
Elite: $449

Which is madness, so it's likely to be 99% certain (I think core should have got $50 and elite $80 off alongside a drop in the price of the harddrives.)

279 would be a 20$ drop on the core, it's still 299 everywhere I've seen.

That's what I'm saying. Current info says it's just the premium getting the $50 drop.

They should drop the 20GB HD price to $50 if only the premium is being cut, as any smart consumer would not buy a core if it stays at $299, since it would still cost them $399 if they bought the core and 20GB. Plus, that's Microsoft's justification for the HD prices, 20GB = price difference between core and premium and 120GB = price difference from core to elite.

Or, this could be their first step in killing the core.

I just want to see the 120GB HD drop in price.

Yeah, the price on that is frankly insane. Better than a price drop on it I'd like to see MS release a caddy that you can use with any laptop drive.

Ditto... I will buy the 120GB hard drive if it went down in price. The 20GB is still 99 bucks though, and that's INSANE!

I have the Premium 360, and although my hard drive isn't filled yet, I have a feeling by the end of this year it might be getting close. Of course that's if I don't remove videos off my harddrive, which thanks to have your gamertag linked to the content you download, you can always re-download it later, but that's a little bit of a pain.

Drop the price of the 120 Microsoft!!!

Well, it's a 12.5 % reduction in price, as opposed to a 16% price reduction for the ps3 (if you even view what they did as a price reduction), so it's pretty standard. 100 bucks off would be nice (I bought mine on sale for 299), but I think its unrealistic to expect such huge increments in price reduction.

I agree though that they should do something like bundle an oem copy of kameo or PDZ or one of their throwaway titles. Costs them a few cents for the dvds, and it looks like a big deal to the average buyer.

they can't afford to put it any lower i think, but they still wanna get some hype up

Worthless price cut.

Why is it worthless? because it's a 12.5 % cut instead of a 16% cut for the ps3? Huge difference there. 50 dollars off a 400 dollar product is a significant decrease. Besides, the ps3 wasn't a price cut, it was a "get 40 more gigs for the same price" sale.

It's hardly worthless, whether you like the 360 or not.

Why is it worthless? because it's a 12.5 % cut instead of a 16% cut for the ps3? Huge difference there. 50 dollars off a 400 dollar product is a significant decrease. Besides, the ps3 wasn't a price cut, it was a "get 40 more gigs for the same price" sale.

It's hardly worthless, whether you like the 360 or not.

It's got nothing to do with percentage differences. The 360 has been around for nearly two years, and MS is just now doing a price cut......for all of $50.

For one thing, it makes the Elite's price look even more bloated, and it makes the Core look like shit. For another thing, the PS3 has already been outselling the 360 in Europe without any price cut, and certain retailers had already cut the price of the 360 to 349 Euros/PS.

A $249 Core also wouldn't help the 360 compete with the Wii, because the former doesn't have that kind of mass appeal. The console and its software library appeal to a very core(no pun intended) demographic(older American males). Even at $249, that would still be the case, and that demographic wouldn't waste their time with a handicapped 360 when they could spend another $50 and get the total package.

I'm not saying that this price cut won't move more units, but a $100 price cut earlier would have been a hell of a lot more effective, and this was obviously just a knee-jerk reaction to the PS3 price cut.

I don't think it's worthless either. Drop it $50, generate some buzz, release Halo 3, generate more buzz and then drop it more a few months later once sales slow again.

My take on this is that they didn't plan to drop before Halo 3, but Sony's price-cut forced their hand. It would have made more sense to switch to 65nm, release Halo 3, and after they have some added revenue in the bank from both they would cut the price. However, with Sony stealing all the press they felt they needed to do something.

I'm not saying that this price cut won't move more units, but a $100 price cut earlier would have been a hell of a lot more effective, and this was obviously just a knee-jerk reaction to the PS3 price cut.

You should let MS know. I'm sure the reams of sales data and market research they've done is useless when compared to your suppositions.

Look, the PS3 SKU switch (aka the price cut) was a desperation move becuase they're getting outsold by more than double by the 360 in the US. The 50 dollar cut for MS is just another dagger at the ps3, and not a necessary one in my (as equally as uninformed as your) opinion.

We shall see. The 360 already had double the monthly sales of the ps3 at the standard introductory prices. Even if sony increased sales by 100% they're still outsold in the US by the 360, so I don't think MS is too worried atm that you can term the price drop a desperate reply to sony.

You should let MS know. I'm sure the reams of sales data and market research they've done is useless when compared to your suppositions.

I wouldn't go to MS(or Sony or Nintendo) because the only thing they'd know is what was sold through to retailers, not to consumers.

Look, the PS3 SKU switch (aka the price cut) was a desperation move becuase they're getting outsold by more than double by the 360 in the US. The 50 dollar cut for MS is just another dagger at the ps3, and not a necessary one in my (as equally as uninformed as your) opinion.

What was the first dagger? The 360 had sold slightly more than 6 million 360's at the time the PS3 launched, which is exactly where the difference stands today.

We shall see. The 360 already had double the monthly sales of the ps3 at the standard introductory prices. Even if sony increased sales by 100% they're still outsold in the US by the 360, so I don't think MS is too worried atm that you can term the price drop a desperate reply to sony.

Not only is it a reaction to the PS3 price cut, it's probably also being done to divert attention from all of the bad press they've been getting from the RRoD and disc-scratching.

Seriously, they could have delivered that dagger you mentioned by dropping the price $100much earlier than this, but instead they wait nearly two years and drop it by only $50 right after the PS3 drops $100(and outsells the 360 in N. America the last two weeks effectively achieving that 100% increase you mention) and their faulty hardware issues blow up in their face? I can put two and two together.

I wouldn't go to MS(or Sony or Nintendo) because the only thing they'd know is what was sold through to retailers, not to consumers.
Yeah... the console companies don't get any data back for numbers sold to customers. Never. What?

What was the first dagger? The 360 had sold slightly more than 6 million 360's at the time the PS3 launched, which is exactly where the difference stands today.
That you think being able to hold the gap against the previous 120 million selling winner of the console wars is nothing?

Not only is it a reaction to the PS3 price cut, it's probably also being done to divert attention from all of the bad press they've been getting from the RRoD and disc-scratching.
You said it yourself, they've been at full price for nearly 2 years now. But suddenly this is a knee-jerk reaction? I don't buy it, I've been saying for a long time that dropping the price before halo 3 and GTA was the most sensible thing they could do.

Of course, the actual amount of the price drop is batshit mental and nigh on pointless - I agree with you there. But that's not to say they wont drop again before xmas (there's a fairly believable rumour out there right now that says they will.). Would that be knife enough for you?

rofl
Everyone scoffs at a $50 price cut. But if MS decided to start including a free game coupon with all 360's, I bet there would be a different attitude.
XD

So funny.

Screw that, i just wish consoles came with two controllers like they did back in the day.

As for the price drop, i'll get a 360 if they every fix the red ring pf death problems. If not, i may end up with a ps3 next year.

Back