Gigabyte P965 DS3 Rev.1 not for E6850!

DerComissar

Limp Gawd
I confirmed this today when I received my E6850.
No great surprise there, as Gigabyte's cpu compatibility list states that 1333 fsb cpu's are not supported on the Rev.1 version. I tried to boot my E6850 on my Rev.1 today but it does not post. Using my existing E6400 I flashed to the latest F12 Bios, cleared cmos, set fsb at 333 but no luck.
The later revision P965 DS3 boards should work though.
Just have to decide on a good replacement mobo, considering the Asus P5K, Gigabyte P35 DS3R, or an Abit IP35 Pro.
Suggestions welcome:D

My only wonder is will the rev 1.3? Newegg lists it as 1066/1333 so if it doesn't i might just exchange it for shits and giggles... And futureproofing. :D

My only wonder is will the rev 1.3? Newegg lists it as 1066/1333 so if it doesn't i might just exchange it for shits and giggles... And futureproofing. :D

Ya, it might be wise to exchange for a P35 mobo, don't know about the DS3 Rev.1.3 either. The original P965 mobos are getting old:p I am in the middle of a project involving a new case (Antec 900) and a few other goodies from Thermalright, etc. so its a good time to swap out the mobo as well. Just have to decide which one, they are all good.
With the new uber-cooling and E6850 I hope to be able to join the 4000 Mhz club:D

The original P965 mobos are getting old

Rightttttt. almost a whole year !

Someone give me a technical reason why a P965 board with Vcore adjustments and the ability to do 470 FSB cannot run a 1333 "Intel spec" buss Core2 or quad other than the manuf on purpose is not going to implement the needed cpuID or microcode in the bios so we are forced to trash a board less than a year old. Even if the board does not understand 1333 BSEL it should boot at some default or per the bios FSB settings. We are being FUCKED IMO, but since the data sheets are not yet on Intels site I reserve the right to be wrong but I dont think so.

Bill, I suspect that you are right as the original Abit AB9 series can & afaik so can the Asus P5B series ..
Again I too suspect that you should be able to setup the BIOS manually albeit you may have an "unrecognised CPU" message.

Someone give me a technical reason why a P965 board with Vcore adjustments and the ability to do 470 FSB cannot run a 1333 "Intel spec" buss Core2 or quad other than the manuf on purpose is not going to implement the needed cpuID or microcode in the bios so we are forced to trash a board less than a year old. Even if the board does not understand 1333 BSEL it should boot at some default or per the bios FSB settings. We are being FUCKED IMO, but since the data sheets are not yet on Intels site I reserve the right to be wrong but I dont think so.

Thanks for the input BillParrish:)
I agree with you on that, only bought the DS3 six months ago. Anyhow, off to Oregon for a few days break from work. Hmmn-no sales tax:D

It's already been proven. The same thing happens when you try to use a LGA 775 Xeon (Conroe/Kentsfield version) on the DS3 rev 1.

It's already been proven. The same thing happens when you try to use a LGA 775 Xeon (Conroe/Kentsfield version) on the DS3 rev 1.

By that I take you to mean it will not boot. Fine, but why not ?

Okay, so is it still possible to inject microcode "unofficially?" It might take some work, but it know it's been done before...

Guys, apprecate the comments, the point is that Gigabyte will not release a bios that supports the 1333MHz chips, I dont care if Gigabyte will not provide technical support or even actually have a 1333Mhz setting in the bios for the configuration but they could at least update the bios cpuid/microcode so it will boot and we can play. It seems fairly obvious they want to force ver 1.0 people to buy new boards. Or perhaps there is some technical reason a ver 1.0 board cant run a 1333MHz cpu, but I dont think so and would love to hear it.

Actually I am looking for more confirmed "it does not boot" posts. I have indications both for and against the 1333MHz cpus working so I dont know really what is going on and I am not blowing the cash to find out the hard way.

I'll check with Shamino from VRZone, he always has ways around these types of things. Has anyone tried doing the BSEL mod to 1066FSB?

Back