Ati Driver FPS Change from 7.6 -> 7.8 (2900xt)

jmackay

2[H]4U
"High Quality" Change from 7.6 - 7.8
3.14 fps gain in HL2
5.1 fps gain in Prey

And thats with AA, and AF, but what about w/o AA / AF?

1.27 LOSS in HL2 @ 1920x1200
1.2 LOSS in Prey @ 1920x1200
1.7 LOSS in min CoH @ 1920x1200
2.7 LOSS in avg CoH @ 1920x1200

Yep, everything actually lost a bit (really minimal change).
3dmark06: It went up by 93 points from 7.6 -> 7.8!

All numbers taken from http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1157/4/page_4_benchmarks_half_life_2_lost_coast_hdr/index.html
and http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1145/4/page_4_benchmarks_half_life_2_lost_coast_hdr/index.html

You have to subtract the fps of 7.6 from 7.7, store it, then subtract 7.7 from 7.8 in the other article, and add your first number to it.

Sorry guys, I hate to break it to you, but the reviewer totally skewed their conclusion page, these drivers didn't hit anything out of the park except an ability to read graphs.

And this loss / minimal change is noted by other [H] members who have posted about it on these forums.

I've asked the reviewer what might have caused the difference between 7.7 drivers in the newer review, and the 7.7 drivers in the older review. All I did was compare #s from both reviews using the drivers tested at the same time. Hopefully he can shed some light on what else might have changed.

And please, do not start flaming each other or myself keep it civil.

If others can post results from their testing that would be great.

Do you even own the card? Or just waiting for someone who will not be named to come in and start a flame war? lol.... it's gonna happen.

Do you even own the card? Or just waiting for someone who will not be named to come in and start a flame war? lol.... it's gonna happen.

And please, do not start flaming each other or myself keep it civil.

If others can post results from their testing that would be great.

^^ I'm trying to get people to post their results to see if tweaktown's results are the same as others.

...Pepsi pokes head in thread, looks around, cola sense a-tingle. Something's not right! "Oops, wrong thread. I thought I heard someone call my name" he says, then with assumed nonchalance slowly clicks away, hands in pockets, whistling a nervous ditty; all the while internally mourning the carnage that will befall the one less wary than himself...

The guy doesn't even have 2900xt and downplaying the results. He is looking for flame war. :rolleyes:

The guy doesn't even have 2900xt and downplaying the results. He is looking for flame war. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with curiosity about a competitors card. Otherwise how could you know if you made a decent purchase? Don't flame him for it. He's not insulting anyone.

Imagine that, jmackay attempting to posting another negative thread about ATi. Where have I seen that before...

Others have shown an improvement, yet he posts the one that doesnt. You can dress it up any way you want, we can still see your agenda.

I dunno what the issue is, but I just traded in an Geforce 8800 Ultra for a HD 2900 XT (sounds crazy but it was £117 pounds cheaper), and it runs everything at top so far, so dont know what the issue is here.

Though I will admit, I played the Fear time demo, and with my ultra I got a maximum of 179 fps and average of 80, the 290 max was 105 and average was 50. But that is the ultra afterall lol

Well, wanting to be well-informed is a fine goal. And this is an opportunity for supporters of the 2900XT to show how a mature discussion is conducted, not a time to 'give as we got'. So, let's lay off Jmac and discuss his topic, as it is an interesting one. I know, my sig is currently sporting an 8800GTS (kind of a necessity as my 2900XT got something caught in the fan and blew up, or something. One of those freaky occurences that happen). Now don't anybody go putting words in my mouth before my foot can get there: the 8800GTS is a damn fine card. But as soon as my 2900XT is RMA'd it's going back in, toot-sweet! Because in my opinion it's definitely the better card for me. Jmac, I don't have any hard numbers to share with you as I didn't do much benching with 7.6, but I can tell you that as far as performance goes, 7.8 is definitely the best driver for the 2900XT thus far. And I think that's what the over-enthusiastic reviewer was trying to share with readers.

Can i put my foot in your mouth. mmmm.

Although I think it's wierd jmackay is posting this info i think it's informative to potential buyers that the drivers aren't doing squat so far to match the specs with the speed. Just my two cents.

Can i put my foot my foot in your mouth. mmmm.

Although I think it's wierd jmackay is posting this info i think it's informative to potential buyers that the drivers aren't doing squat so far to match the specs with the speed. Just my two cents.

well I do agree with the fact that, on paper the specs aint matching up to the speed its giving, but as everyone says its personal oppinion.

After returning the 8800 ultra and getting the 2900 XT, I am happy with it, cost me £10 quid more than the GTS and comes with 1gb GDDR4, allows me to run all games on max settings no hitches. So what is the problem?

I think people want a miracle, tbh they wont get it, the card is good, and I think it will improve dramatically over the course of this year, the 2900 xt WILL level off with the GTX in time....but abit late tho

Well, wanting to be well-informed is a fine goal. And this is an opportunity for supporters of the 2900XT to show how a mature discussion is conducted, not a time to 'give as we got'. So, let's lay off Jmac and discuss his topic, as it is an interesting one. I know, my sig is currently sporting an 8800GTS (kind of a necessity as my 2900XT got something caught in the fan and blew up, or something. One of those freaky occurences that happen). Now don't anybody go putting words in my mouth before my foot can get there: the 8800GTS is a damn fine card. But as soon as my 2900XT is RMA'd it's going back in, toot-sweet! Because in my opinion it's definitely the better card for me. Jmac, I don't have any hard numbers to share with you as I didn't do much benching with 7.6, but I can tell you that as far as performance goes, 7.8 is definitely the best driver for the 2900XT thus far. And I think that's what the over-enthusiastic reviewer was trying to share with readers.

Thanks for the support, like I said, I don't want a flame war, I want to see others results to see if there is an improvement or not. I don't care about nv this or ati that, I just want to know how the top end of the cards are preforming, as I have many gamer friends who haven't upgraded in a while, and also buddies who own a gaming cafe. They don't have the same interest in computers that I do, so I help them out with their purchasing decisions.

So really, the more worthwhile threads that involve work on part of the people that post, the better informed we can all be.

If ATI had a card with the same performance and price as mine when I bought it, it would have been a coin flip to choose between them, I'm not a stuck to any one camp, I buy whats best bang/buck.

If you want to show me another review site that retests 7.6 with 7.7 with 7.8, PLEASE do so, but do not just make blanket statements w/o backing them up with facts.

Thanks for the support, like I said, I don't want a flame war, I want to see others results to see if there is an improvement or not. I don't care about nv this or ati that, I just want to know how the top end of the cards are preforming...

No problem, Jmac! Well, it's third party site (not from [H] denizens), but a moment ago I saw just such a comparison as you are interested in over at T-Break. Take a look...

http://www.tbreak.com/forums/showthread.php?p=292244

Can i put my foot my foot in your mouth. mmmm...

Stoney, Bro'... You're creeping me out! I mean, just... Eew! 'Village People' eew!!! :eek:

Thanks for the link :)

Its good to see that some users are talking about the pros and cons about the card/drivers, as its good information that potential buyers need to know. EG: Crossfire problems with some games or corruption problems.

Hopefully people will give some info about the 7.9s that were just leaked.

Imagine that, jmackay attempting to posting another negative thread about ATi. Where have I seen that before...

Others have shown an improvement, yet he posts the one that doesnt. You can dress it up any way you want, we can still see your agenda.

Care to post these other results so we can compare differences?

And anyone have a review of 7.9s?

Back