Soyo 24" LCD at Office Max $299

Still, this is a great price for a 24". It's even better that it doesn't have a rebate attached.

hrmmm, if you are on their email list, you should have received a coupon for $30.00 off $200 or more purchase.

plugged it in! It's S-PVA. same panel used in dell 2407 or my Acer AL2423W.
This is hotter then I thought. :)

I'm going to plug this thing in with my Acer and see how it plays. I'm planning on running clone config DOD:S see how it handles it.
Since it's Office Max it's not a big deal returning it anyway.

plugged it in! It's S-PVA. same panel used in dell 2407 or my Acer AL2423W.
This is hotter then I thought. :)

How do you know it's PVA? The easy trick is to look at it from a low angle... if it's washed out, it's TN. PVA has very wide horizontal and vertical viewing angles.

Watching the video review linked above, it sounds like vertical veiwing angle is greater than horizontal...Doesn't sound like a TN. And it is a 1900X1200 res panel, too (doesn't say so on officemax website, but it is)

Watching the video review linked above, it sounds like vertical veiwing angle is greater than horizontal...Doesn't sound like a TN. And it is a 1900X1200 res panel, too (doesn't say so on officemax website, but it is)

It must be a mistake. 170H / 160V is typical for TN. PVA has equal visibility on both axes, and is usually close to 180. In the video, they didn't show any extreme angles that would have shown the obvious dropoff you get with TN.

Okay, so I went to Officemax and had a look at one. I didn't see any extreme dropoff in the vertical axis vs horizontal. Did see two dead pixels on the display, or acutally one dead pixel and one stuck sub pixel, both near the perimeter of the screen.

I'd say this is extremely hot for a 1900X1200 24" monitor. oh yeah, has 6ms response time on the box...fwiw

I love this thing. I wasn't expecting much for $300,but damn this thing is better than my dell 24" at work. Upgrading from a 20" dell, its like night and day. No ghosting in games that I could tell.

pro: cheap, contrast and brightness, vivid colors
con: no hdmi, speakers suck worthless, no usb connectors

This deal is HOT!

Soyo?! What the hell ever happened to them... Not making mobos anymore or WTF? never hear of them... Fry's used to be inundated with them.

How do you know it's PVA? The easy trick is to look at it from a low angle... if it's washed out, it's TN. PVA has very wide horizontal and vertical viewing angles.

I have it right in front of me. it's S-PVA. Gaming is great. Same, as far as I could tell, as 2407.
Vertical, horizontal all good.
I'm playing around with settings to get it to mach my AL2423W.

So far so good.

how's the input lag?

i'm up in Canada but I might make the drive down for one since I've been looking for a 24"

Yeah any input lag? I'm about to go get it but that's holding me back.

Bleh, from the thread someone posted

A BIG also is that 1080p on the xbox would NOT work properly, the screen was cutoff (over VGA)

Guess I'll find a new display

Wish I could use my online coupon, but they're OOS for shipping. :( They're holding the last one for me at the local store though.

Yeah any input lag? I'm about to go get it but that's holding me back.

Bleh, from the thread someone posted

Quote:
A BIG also is that 1080p on the xbox would NOT work properly, the screen was cutoff (over VGA)

Guess I'll find a new display

Yeah, that bothers me too. But I decided to go ahead and buy the monitor anyway. I'm gonna test my Xbox 360 over VGA tonight and see if my results differ.

wow this sounds like a good deal

i got a 24inch lcd monitor a while back at bestbuy a LG
i love 24inch monitors they rock they are huge and its great !
gaming is good get a color calibrator they are like 40 bucks worth it though makes a diffrence with colors and how sharp your montior can look

Picked one up today, and it's fucking huge. As much as I'll miss the fancy inputs & PIP on my 2005fpw, I never actually used them, so fuck it. I feel like there's a slight tilt in mine though, and this could be a problem. Stand is shit though anyway, so maybe I should just order an arm.

About the 360 and 1080p issue, I believe it's a problem with the signal that the 360 is outputting. I'm able to spit out a 1080p resolution over vga with my desktop graphics card just fine with no cut off whatsoever but when I try the 360, it cuts off. I've noticed that I can correct this issue somewhat, but not good enough, by reducing the 'Clock Adjust' option in the monitor settings.

I wonder how the new 360's with HDMI would fair when hooked up to the DVI port. I wonder if it would have no problem doing 1080p then, as the signal would be digital, as opposed to vga's analog signal.

-Justin

Hold on... I thought of something.

Is there a way to change what refresh rate the 360 puts out?

On my CRT if I change the refresh on my vid card it sometimes shifts a bit.

nice. lots of 24" panels are starting to drop to the $300 range. maybe the other lg and dell will follow suit later? i doubt it. :(

I got one yesterday and I'm very happy.
Gaming is really excellent.
I did have to adjust the colors, brightness and contrast but after doing those adjustments...it's awesome.
The response time is incredible. I'm not seeing any lag at all.

I think that this monitor is just like others. Some units are going to be bad out of the box but mine is perfect so far.

I mentioned this in the Displays forum, but nobody has made any comment about it there, so I thought I'd mention it here too, curious if it is just my monitor now..

First off, there appears to be no DVI to VGA toggle button. I have to go into the OSD menu and click 7 buttons to navigate and select the input change and vice versa to go back. I'll be using both DVI and VGA, so this will be a problem unless I'm missing something obvious (and I read the manual and it isn't in there).

But the real problem for me was this. I have my PC on the DVI and my Xbox on the VGA. If I go from DVI to VGA then back to DVI the monitor goes blank and completely locks up. I can't do anything other than unplug the power to reset it.

I'm curious if all the Soyos are bugged like this. It might just be monitor not liking the resolution changes between my desktop and Xbox. *shrug*

But the real problem for me was this. I have my PC on the DVI and my Xbox on the VGA. If I go from DVI to VGA then back to DVI the monitor goes blank and completely locks up. I can't do anything other than unplug the power to reset it.

What resolution setting are you using for your xbox, and are you also having the problem with it cropping? I was planning on doing the same thing you are with xbox on vga and PC on DVI, but 7 clicks to switch and resolution problems with the Xbox is definitely a deal breaker.

that's amazing, I might just have to make a trip to officemax myself. Man, lcds have really come down in price in only a few years. I remember buying my vp171b back in the day for $350. It's still got the best stand I've ever personally seen on a monitor, though :p

What resolution setting are you using for your xbox, and are you also having the problem with it cropping? I was planning on doing the same thing you are with xbox on vga and PC on DVI, but 7 clicks to switch and resolution problems with the Xbox is definitely a deal breaker.

I had to use 1360x768 because the monitor badly crops 1920x1080.

This is very tempting. I think I will have to go take a look after work today.

any ideas why?

The monitor apparently doesn't support 1080p, it's not listed as among it's supported resolutions. I took it for granted that if it supported 1920x1200 then naturally it would also do 1920x1080, but seems I was wrong about that.

I stumbled across this deal Sunday instead of having heard about it online, and I picked one up.

It is not S-PVA. But neither is it TN. It is P-MVA, as phrozen209 at slickdeals.net discovered when he opened his up. The panel is an AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0) Panel. The panel is the same as in Acer AL2423W.

I'm extremely pleased with mine. It's knockout good looking.

So it seems like the only major flaw in this monitor is the lack of hdmi/hdcp ports?

Can someone explain to me what exactly you can do with these ports that you can't use with DVI/VGA? If it's something I don't really use, I will jump on this deal because I'm in need of a new monitor.

Thanks!

Why would anybody buy anything from this POS company.

They are liars and thieves.

So it seems like the only major flaw in this monitor is the lack of hdmi/hdcp ports?

Can someone explain to me what exactly you can do with these ports that you can't use with DVI/VGA? If it's something I don't really use, I will jump on this deal because I'm in need of a new monitor.

Thanks!

I might be way off, so someone correct me if I am, I don't follow this very closely....

But it is my understanding that you really don't need HDCP at the moment. High definition content from Bluray, HD-DVD, and other sources is getting ready for HDCP, but this won't actually be enabled until several years yet (2012 I think?).

When HDCP copy protection is enabled, then the high def content won't play on a computer and monitor that are not HDCP compliant.

If you are buying a monitor that you think you'll be using for more than half a decade and will be playing high def content on it, then you'd want to get something that is HDCP ready.

But I say this with a tiny bit of uncertainty, because as I read these forums, some people make me think high def content already won't work if I don't have HDCP OS and monitor. So I acknowledge I'm not 100% sure of what I said before, but somewhere in the high 70ish percentage. :)

Back