Multi Problems/Issues

Irishllama

[H]ard|Gawd
First off, I had a sound card took it out to sell it, enabled on board audio via bios and installed drivers. I have no sound via that on board now. It worked fine before the sound card. This is a major issue as sometimes I have to Transcribe a report, right now Im doing that on my laptop so at least I have a backup.

Also, my computer randomly crashes, and or programs crash.
For instances, yesterday everytime I would bring up Firefox, it would crash after a few minutes. So I tried IE, it then would crash IE and also crash explorer.exe along with it. Some of my games that I once in a while play such as Diablo 2 crash when I finish an act moving onto the second one.

When I try to restart or shutdown, it'll get a serious error and not do either.

You may say reformatting, which I guess I'm up to. I tried once before though, and the problems got worse.

Ok, google, download, burn and run Memtest+ on each stick of RAM separately for at least 3 hours each. If you want to fully rule out the RAM, go 24hours on each stick of RAM. If one error shows up, that stick of RAM is bad.

Also, listing your PC specs would help.

Ok, google, download, burn and run Memtest+ on each stick of RAM separately for at least 3 hours each. If you want to fully rule out the RAM, go 24hours on each stick of RAM. If one error shows up, that stick of RAM is bad.

Also, listing your PC specs would help.

Will do on mem test.

Specs:
x2 3800
W.D 250gb Sata 3gb
Asus a8n sli premium.
BFG 7800 GT
Ballistix Ram
XP Media Center.

For the first time I've gotten a blue screen.

Stop : C000021a

EDIT: Could these symptoms be caused by having 3 sticks of ram possible? I haven't gotten around to doing mem test, as I don't have a CD burner nor floppy on this computer, as I sold it to a co-worker, heh.

So, it's gotten worse, much worse over the past day. Some times I can't even get into windows without it crashing, restarting, and if I do get in I get so many errors I can't do anything, and if I get past THAT I try to open a program, it crashes after 30 seconds.

I haven't gotten around to doing mem test, as I don't have a CD burner nor floppy on this computer, as I sold it to a co-worker, heh.

Have that, or another, co-worker/friend burn you a memtest CD or create a memtest floppy for you. Or better yet, do it at work, assuming you have a computer at work, lol!

Have that, or another, co-worker/friend burn you a memtest CD or create a memtest floppy for you. Or better yet, do it at work, assuming you have a computer at work, lol!

Yeah, Im actually going to do it right soon, I shall post back in aprox 9 hours or so.

EDIT:

When trying to boot from it, it gives me an error:

"Disk boot failure, Insert System disk and press enter"

Sorta good news, I took out a stick of ram that was the most recent stick added, Im thinking that is part of my problem, the system is running somewhat better. It will boot everytime, and windows itself isn't crashing, but some of my app's still are.

Okay now sorta back to problems...

When I start up, windows gives me the login type such as at a school or some public place, not the GUI click type login.

So I figure.. okay wierd.... I'll login and go change it, well I log in but my start barb is 1/2 missing, like a pale type color, and I can't do anything keyboard command wise, no CTRL ALT DELETE to see whats up, and when I can get into windows explorer, (I have to do this via right clicking network conncetions) it's all wierd and half misisng. If I press windows key, start menu will come up w/o text/icons... And it's WAY outa place, it's about i'd say 500 pixels higher than it should be.

Spybot search and destroy?

You're seeing a lot of weird shit. What's the anti-virus program?

Boot into safe mode, how does the system act?

But what happened when all shit went to hell? Did you restart the computer to see if it would be fixed?

Spybot search and destroy?

You're seeing a lot of weird shit. What's the anti-virus program?

Boot into safe mode, how does the system act?

But what happened when all shit went to hell? Did you restart the computer to see if it would be fixed?

Yeah spy bot search and destroy, didn't feel like typing it all out :p.

I use Norton/AVG/Trendmicro

Safe mode doesn't resolve anything, for some reason I have a feeling my reg is FUBAR. Since all the programs that insert reg keys don't work correctly, yet a few that start up normally work fine, such as my AIM works, steam works, Poweriso works.

I've restarted many times, tried to make a new user account, same problem.
It worked fine last night when I went to bed aprox 2:30 am, got up at 8:30 am to turn the computer on, and that is what I come to. I would have no problem reformatting, but I can't install my new dvd drive, won't notice it, nor will it notice my old cd drive so I can't reformat via that either.

Well....

Update:

My mobo is dead. 100% dead.

Went to turn the comp on, no deal. The little green light on the mobo is still on, but will not power on at all. Thought it was PSU, tested PSU and it was fine. Tried another PSU/Mobo combo.

No go.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully your motherboard is still under warranty.

Holy shit, so I went to try one last time to turn it on...

I push power button, sparks come out of the back left of case, like no wires just the CASE itself... but it powered on and booted up.... I of course turned it off.

So me being daring, turned it on AGAIN. Did the same thing, sparks out back left, yet it boots up...

Im leaving it un plugged.

That is really wierd...

I might have to take a video of it though ;D

YouTube or you get Goatsie in your PM.

You decide.

Rofl, I pulled the HD to move some files off before I do the "Trick" again.

But i'll do it, because I'm started to order my new system anyways.... Although Im going to remove the CPU and Vid card because both are fine.

I have a 22 inch, probably will keep it. Or I might sell it to a friend who is looking to buy a used one, if so I will probably upgrade to 24.

If you keep the 22", then theres no need for an SLI board. If you go with a 24", you still don't need an SLI board, but one would be nice to keep SLI as an option.

If you keep the 22", then theres no need for an SLI board. If you go with a 24", you still don't need an SLI board, but one would be nice to keep SLI as an option.

Well I seem to look at it this way, in the future that I could add another card and have SLI and "keep up" with times so to say, but now that I'm thinking about it; it seems that I would probably be better off just buying a new "One" card and eventually building a new system.

So, I guess I'll go single card, and my single card option was the IP35pro

I had a two motherboards that died in that manner, although it was a much faster kill, i didn't have all the problems with windows booting funny. It turned out after the second motherboard died the power supply started making this neato whistling noise, so that was going bad over 6 months and wiping out the southbridges of my A7N8X's (the southbridges would actually start burning if i left it on too long). Anything is possible when it comes to catastrophic failures like this, but if your new rig starts having the same symptoms i'd swap out a PSU

But I don't understand how my case made sparks, it came out the back left it was NEAR the PSU but not from it. It sounds like it was arching somehow to the case, not sure why. Regardless, I'm getting everything new besides the case, which is an antec 900. I might actually sell that, or mod it to have a rad near that top fan :)

Back