BioShock? Rootkit? There are other Advantages of x64, turns out.

Markdek

[H]ard|Gawd
The title says it all; the security advantages of x64 Vista start to come into play; not just the >3gb RAM advantage. Whether SecuROM is a rootkit or not is not the point. The point is x64 Vista has other advantages.

Oh yeah, rootkits can't install on an x64 Vista system, properly set up; at least not yet.

PLEASE start threads in their proper subforums -Rich

would you like to give some explanation and/or links to elaborate on this cryptic title?

I think he means the rootkit or rootkit type applications cannot be installed on Vista 64bit, I doubt that the securerom thing is actually a rootkit, just because you cannot delete the files does not make it a rootkit. Either way Vista 64bit is more secure...

Are you just musing in your blog? Posts like this aren't very helpful if you don't explain what you're talking about.;)

Either way Vista 64bit is more secure...
Are you sure you want to open an internet browser window?

[Y]es [N]o [C]ancel

Y

The internet browser you have opened is trying to connect to the internet. The internet is a dangerous place. Would you like to allow the internet browser to connect to the internet?

[Y]es [N]o [C]ancel

Y

Please enter your Administrator password.

fluffynutter

The internet browser is trying to download information to your computer. Would you like to allow this information to be downloaded?

[Y]es [N]o [C]ancel

Y

The website your internet browser is trying to browse to has an up-to-date SSL authentication. Do you want to trust this SSL authentication?

[Y]es [N]o [C]ancel

Y

Are you sure you want to send information to the internet?

[Y]es [N]o [C]ancel

Y

Are you sure you're sure?

[Y]es [N]o [C]ancel

Y

Your request could not be completed at this time. Please contact your System Administrator and try again.

Now that's security!

Are you just musing in your blog? Posts like this aren't very helpful if you don't explain what you're talking about.;)

Sorry, I thought it was clear; and I was trying to pass on good information!

"rootkits can't install on an x64 Vista system, if properly set up; at least not yet"

Restated, the inherent security in Vista x64 will not allow the installation of rootkits. Vista x86 and XP do.

And to "Rich", who so rudely overwrote my thread in Red, I placed this thread where I though it belonged, in Gaming, as I'm talking about Bioshock because there has been talk about the possibility of rootkits in Bioshock. So chill out, please.

<snip>
And to "Rich", who so rudely overwrote my thread in Red, I placed this thread where I though it belonged, in Gaming, as I'm talking about Bioshock because there has been talk about the possibility of rootkits in Bioshock. So chill out, please.
"Rich" happens to be doing his job. PC specific posts belong in the "PC Gaming & Hardware" subforum. I'd suggest not telling mods and admins to chill out, especially when they were correct in their actions. Sadly, I feel that your presence here will be short lived. :(

As to your actual claims, can we get any sort of documentation to back this up? I'd settle for a more detailed explanation, though.

I appear to have posted, or I was moved, to the general gaming forum. I still don't see the problem, and don't intend to beat this to death, or be the subject of a barage of hate posts. I did say please, and it wasn't bold or in red, nor did I post over anyone's post.

As to "claims", you use this terminology with obvious distain, so I think I've said enough and will think twice before opening up my mouth/thread again; thanks for the warm fuzzy feelings everyone.

As to "claims", you use this terminology with obvious distain, so I think I've said enough and will think twice before opening up my mouth/thread again; thanks for the warm fuzzy feelings everyone.

Dude, you haven't said anything, ok well you have and you have not been to nice about it. So you say rootkits can't install on x64 systems, where did you read or hear this so we can get more information than you are providing here.

Oh and this does belong in the PC gaming subsection, there is even a sticky about that.

So you say rootkits can't install on x64 systems, where did you read or hear this so we can get more information than you are providing here.
No, he didn't. He said that root kits couldn't be installed on Vista x64 systems that are properly set up. But he didn't say what properly set up was. But then he later contradicted himself by saying that the security was intrinsic in Vista x64; if that was true, then the security would work whether the system was set up correctly or not.

I don't know about you, but I'm no better after having read this thread.

Properly setup, as in not disabling the UAC User Account Control.

But I still don't think this "issue" is a root kit.

i just had to remove the damn bioshock demo rootkit from my x64 install. and yes i have UAC enabled. instructions on setting up properly plz

I have the Steam version of Bioshock and it tries desparately to install the rootkit every time I launch it. I really get a kick out of clicking that 'No' button each time. :)

They try the SecureROM crap even with a Steam install? That does it for me... not touching this one.

They try the SecureROM crap even with a Steam install? That does it for me... not touching this one.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Steam already has built in DRM but it seems that 2K required Valve to add this nonsense on top as well. I'm pretty disappointed that they gave in and went for it. Clearly they are happy to destroy what they have built up over the years, for a taste of the profits of one game.

If they had told 2K to get f****d until the copy protection was gone then they would have won so many gold stars from the gamers. They could have spun it to make themselves out like the new Moses, but whatever.

Back