New Workstation Build... What do ya think?

PWScottIV

n00b
So I do a lot of CAD and CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) on the computer and my previous system was about 5 years old, so I just built a new one last week. Let me know what ya think.

Specs:

1261800930_7580fc9bb3_b.jpg

1261781542_429e5ebc6f_b.jpg

1260972525_1964eb8cd1_b.jpg

1261874708_4162bbf0ce_b.jpg

1261104501_6692d73804_b.jpg

1261991310_6d2733b4e5_b.jpg

1261915292_e3c4d2412b_b.jpg

1261847290_a4b13c608d_b.jpg

Freakin' sweet setup!!! I also do a lot of CAD work and am planning on just such a setup. I take it that both video cards are on PCIe slots? What's with the soundproofing on the walls? Also, are those 20" monitors the standard or widescreen versions?

BTW, what are your major software platforms you're using?

Very nice setup. I love the monitors. It must be nice to have that kind of money to spend on a system.

Freakin' sweet setup!!! I also do a lot of CAD work and am planning on just such a setup. I take it that both video cards are on PCIe slots? What's with the soundproofing on the walls? Also, are those 20" monitors the standard or widescreen versions?

BTW, what are your major software platforms you're using?

Thanks! I love it.

What CAD programs do you use? I primarily work with Solidworks, Pro/E, Geomagic Studio, Catia, MasterCAM, and occasionally AutoCAD.

Yep, each card is in its own PCIe 16x slot. The soundproofing is there to absorb the fan noise at the back of my system. The LCDs are 4:3.

Very nice setup. I love the monitors. It must be nice to have that kind of money to spend on a system.

Thanks! It actually wasn't as much as you'd think... I got a lot of the components on eBay and Pricewatch... CPUs were only $400 each, Quadro FX 4600 was only $780, etc, etc.

Nice... though I would have used some SAS drives instead of U320 SCSI.

That's a great system! I'm doing a similar thing with mine (primarily SolidWorks), but you have executed it very well. What OS are you running?

I pulled a noul-brainer and installed Vista Ultimate x64 (got it from a Microsoft friend) only to remember that SW 2006 won't run in Vista! I'm currently trying to dual-install XP Pro x64, but it doesn't detect my RAID array... I'm working on that :eek:

I pulled a noul-brainer and installed Vista Ultimate x64 (got it from a Microsoft friend) only to remember that SW 2006 won't run in Vista! I'm currently trying to dual-install XP Pro x64, but it doesn't detect my RAID array... I'm working on that :eek:

Yeah, XP x64 is pretty much the only choice I have as of right now... Vista is a piece of crap.

I like everything about Vista except for the little fact that my computer is not capable of being productive with that OS. I'd say that's quite a blow!

I like everything about Vista except for the little fact that my computer is not capable of being productive with that OS. I'd say that's quite a blow!
So you don't mind that microshaft took away much of your ability to control the OS manually and you're happy with the strict DRM? :confused:

what drm do you speak of?

Well I can't say I've had the "pleasure" of trying Vista myself, but I was under the impression that they had pretty strict DRM for almost all multi-media formats (movies, audio, etc). Am I mistaken?

Back