Is the 3007WFP-HC the ultimate all-around LCD?

Dogboy714

Limp Gawd
S-IPS. Low lag. 92% color gamut. BIG! But you don't hear much talk about it here. Perhaps because it is so pricey?I know there are a couple of big, long threads, but they don't get much action as of late.

Seems like most people here spend there time talking about the 24"er's, of which there are none that meet all needs. I am in the market for an LCD, and unfortunately, I have big LCD-itus after owning a Westy 37" for a while (gave it to my parents - don't ask). So I am thinking about getting the Dell 30" since it seems perfect. The only drawbacks I can see:

-Hard to drive at full res (this problem will disappear as video cards get better, and in the mean time scaling to 1280X800 is beautiful).
-Small text (scaling to 1920X1200 for the desktop works fine apparently).
-Lack of inputs (I'm only using it as a computer monitor - nothing else).
-Pricey.

Otherwise, the 3007WFP-HC is a dream, right?

It is for me. :)

I am waiting for a kick ass sale on it. I can only tolerate S-IPS monitors and they are rare and expensive as is, so I may as well wait for a nice sale on this one and get a big one.

I haven't heard of any real issues other than what you mentioned. This only works as a computer monitor and that is it.

I think you're right - the reason it no longer gets mentioned much is there's really nothing to complain about. Compare it with the sorry state of the 24" sector, where all the main contenders seem to have showstopping faults of one sort or another.

I have a 2707WFP and I'm reasonably happy with it, but I still feel envious when I see pics of the 3007WFP-HC.

The only real downside I can see is the price, but if that's not a problem I'd say go for it. :)

Yeah - funny how the 24" offerings pale in comparison. A $650 24" S-IPS with the same low-lag electronics of the 3007 would sell like hotcakes!

It's a dream in its natural resolution. It needs a beefy card; scaling, if I'm right, causes the input lag to go way up. You need to scale for the xbox360/ps3 or use the 1:1. No HDCP (although I heard something about HDCP for dual link cables), other than that its a dream.

It's a dream in its natural resolution. It needs a beefy card; scaling, if I'm right, causes the input lag to go way up. You need to scale for the xbox360/ps3 or use the 1:1. No HDCP (although I heard something about HDCP for dual link cables), other than that its a dream.

It has two native resolutions: 2560x1600 and 1280x800 (simply 4 pixels to every one so no calculations really). It doesn't work with anything other than a computer because it doesn't do any Scaling at all. So forget Xbox/PS3. Any resolution outside the two native ones will be scaled by the vid card. I have seen no reports of lag from scaling.

It does do HDCP but you need one of the newest cards that support dual link HDCP (HD 2600/8600GTS).

well if only I had a rig that could run the 3007 =P

oh well, I'll have to settle w/ my 2707 :D

I had a WFP 3007 and got rid of it. These are the reasons I do not think it is the ultimate LCD:

-Makes a high pitched buzz, even when the monitor is off.
-IPS screens have a violet tinge when viewed off axis and on the 30'' Dell since it is so big the corners are always off axis and have a noticeable violet tinge on black screens.
-The dot pitch is a little too small for my liking I prefer a larger dot pitch, since text is easier to read. You can increase the font size or DPI but then many web pages don't look the way they should.
-It has no internal scaler thus no component, s-video or vga inputs
-1280x800 the other supported resolution the WFP 3007 although there are no blurring or interpolation artifacts, creates pixels that are just way too big it reminds me of gaming at 320x200 way back when on CRTs

I think a 27'' screen like the Dell WFP 2707 or the Samsung 275T are better screens, at least for me they are better. They have a bigger dot pitch (but not too big) which I like. And 1920x1200 is enough desktop real estate for me, 2560x1600 was just overkill. Also gaming at a native res of 1920x1200 gives a wwwaaaaaaayyyy better frame rate than 2560x1600. No matter how much you upgrade your video card, cutting edge games will always run noticeably smoother at 1920x1200.

I'd say the Westy 37" is the ultimate all-around LCD because it can do it all, huge amount of inputs, its big, the quality is good, and it's cheap. Well it was, now you can't find it anywhere.

As purely a computer monitor (with enough gpu horsepower) I would say yes...otherwise the lack of inputs cripples it for all around use.

I had a WFP 3007 and got rid of it. These are the reasons I do not think it is the ultimate LCD:

-IPS screens have a violet tinge when viewed off axis and on the 30'' Dell since it is so big the corners are always off axis and have a noticeable violet tinge on black screens.
-The dot pitch is a little too small for my liking I prefer a larger dot pitch, since text is easier to read. You can increase the font size or DPI but then many web pages don't look the way they should.
-1280x800 the other supported resolution the WFP 3007 although there are no blurring or interpolation artifacts, creates pixels that are just way too big it reminds me of gaming at 320x200 way back when on CRTs

I think a 27'' screen like the Dell WFP 2707 or the Samsung 275T are better screens, at least for me they are better. They have a bigger dot pitch (but not too big) which I like. And 1920x1200 is enough desktop real estate for me, 2560x1600 was just overkill. Also gaming at a native res of 1920x1200 gives a wwwaaaaaaayyyy better frame rate than 2560x1600. No matter how much you upgrade your video card, cutting edge games will always run noticeably smoother at 1920x1200.

I would agree with most of this although I don't have the buzzing noise that you're talking about. Overall it's an amazing monitor but the biggest issue for me is the small font size. I haven't had mine very long and I'm considering selling it. I prefer the 23" Sony I sold it for.

I hesitate to buy since I have a good monitor and want to see what is offered before this year's Christmas. The 3007 has been out for awhile in computer terms.

I am wondering what is around the corner to replace it?

For the record I have a NEC 20WMGX2 (a real one from a year ago), and a Dell 2405 before that, Dell 20 incher before that (and a SGI 1600SW when it first came out).

I do not experience any input lag with my GFX card for non-native resolutions nor any buzzing sounds. I cant make out any violet tinge on my screen either but this may be due to the fact that is is the improved HC version. The backlight bleed could be less but its only noticeble in an absolutely unlit room and very uniform. Viewing angles and colour reproduction are outstanding which were the main reasons for why I went for an IPS-S screen. With the rising competition on the >24'' TFT market there wont be many more screens to come that include IPS-S panels for an affordable price.
All in all it really depends what your needs are. Connectivity is an issue and will be hopefully addressed in future models similar to the 2707 (yet probably P-MVA based).

I hesitate to buy since I have a good monitor and want to see what is offered before this year's Christmas. The 3007 has been out for awhile in computer terms.

I am wondering what is around the corner to replace it?

For the record I have a NEC 20WMGX2 (a real one from a year ago), and a Dell 2405 before that, Dell 20 incher before that (and a SGI 1600SW when it first came out).
I got the NEC a couple weeks ago and I hope it lasts for a while. Looks like the near future is full of TN panels for the 20"-24" size, and since Samsung just released a new 30" S-PVA panel I wouldn't put it past Dell to use that in a lottery along with the LG/Philips 30" S-IPS for the 3007WFP (or the replacement) as long as the specs match closely enough. (or they'll just list the lower of the 2 specs to cover their ass like they did with the 2007WFP)

How dim can you make the 3007. It seems unlike most people, I need a monitor that can go dimmer, much more than can go brighter. If you put the 3007 on ZERO brightness is it very dim, CRT like dim?

I would like to get one but its not glossy. A wide color gamut display that big with a matte finish seems odd. I mean its not like its for office work.

I got the NEC a couple weeks ago and I hope it lasts for a while.

I think I'm going to snag a 19" NEC for $200 and not use my 20WMGX2
for crude stuff like surfing web. I surf a round a lot and the NEC gets pretty hot (that and the lame ON/OFF button are my only gripes).

I think I'm going to snag a 19" NEC for $200 and not use my 20WMGX2
for crude stuff like surfing web. I surf a round a lot and the NEC gets pretty hot (that and the lame ON/OFF button are my only gripes).

I hear ya. I bought the advance exchange warranty from Fry's when I bought the monitor. Now it seems useless to get an inferior panel with the same frame. Man ugly on the inside.

So, would you say the chances of getting a S-IPS in the Dell 3007 HC is 100% or do you think they are already changing that?

Second, if you do get the advance exchange and whatever warranty through Dell (or whoever) does it really matter? By the time it dies, they will have replaced it with a crappier version?

So, would you say the chances of getting a S-IPS in the Dell 3007 HC is 100% or do you think they are already changing that?
There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever of a panel lottery in the 3007-HC, at least at this stage.

I'm not saying Dell aren't capable of pulling dirty tricks if they think they can get away with it, but the market for 30" panels tends to be much more quality-sensitive than further down the range, and people are a lot more conscious about exactly what they're buying. Given the all the bad publicity over the 2007FP/WFP, I honestly can't see Dell risking a repeat performance with their flagship product. :)

There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever of a panel lottery in the 3007-HC, at least at this stage.

I'm not saying Dell aren't capable of pulling dirty tricks if they think they can get away with it, but the market for 30" panels tends to be much more quality-sensitive than further down the range, and people are a lot more conscious about exactly what they're buying. Given the all the bad publicity over the 2007FP/WFP, I honestly can't see Dell risking a repeat performance with their flagship product. :)

There may be a NEC 20WMGX2 showing up on the sale forums.

Back