How to get rid of Internet Explorer...forever, even after "uninstalling" it (yus,rly)

I don't believe you can uninstall it, not without breaking something else in windows. You can uninstall IE in add remove programs but only if there is another version to fall back too. For example if you uninstall IE7 from add remove you end up with IE6 and there won't be an add remove entry in add remove programs for IE anymore. You can't delete the folder because there are critical system files in that folder and some of them are likely in use even if IE isn't browsing the Internet. Might want to see if the windows update site will work with another browser before you strip out IE.

You can't, it's highly integrated into the OS. All you can do is remove the shortcuts.

You can remove it, Internet Explorer is every where. The best you can do is delete the shortcuts. How else will you be able to get updates? Not all updates are downloaded automatically.

If you simply try deleting IE from the program files, you will break Windows in a terrible way. You can use special tools to get IE out of Windows successfully, but what you end up with is a mutant OS that no programmers really account for. If you want to use Windows, just try to ignore IE. If you can't ignore IE, Linux is a very nice OS, or you can find a copy of WindowsNT4.0 and use that.
http://ubuntu.com

What she did was actually....she never had IE to begin with. I introduced her to the familiar program called v lite [http://www.vlite.net/]. Using that program she checked off the installation of IE. She primarily uses Mozilla Firefox and felt no need to have IE in her computer. She does a lot of website design work, and unfortunately, a great percentage of the world still uses IE, since it's bundled with any Microsoft software and computer. Of that great percentage, her client will only use IE. Taking that in consideration, she needed to make minor changes and tweaks for visitors of the website using IE. So that's really the reason why she had to install IE, and she hates this "parasite" so much.

note235 said:
MS went to court about this issue
I'm really glad that happened. They're capitalizing so much in everything else.

alphanumeric said:
I don't believe you can uninstall it, not without breaking something else in windows. You can uninstall IE in add remove programs but only if there is another version to fall back too. For example if you uninstall IE7 from add remove you end up with IE6 and there won't be an add remove entry in add remove programs for IE anymore. You can't delete the folder because there are critical system files in that folder and some of them are likely in use even if IE isn't browsing the Internet. Might want to see if the windows update site will work with another browser before you strip out IE.

hity645 said:
You can remove it, Internet Explorer is every where. The best you can do is delete the shortcuts. How else will you be able to get updates? Not all updates are downloaded automatically.

From my experience, after setting Firefox as my default browser, I believe all updates were downloaded through there. Regardless of the browsers, I still get updates from Microsoft via Automatic Updates.

Langford said:
If you simply try deleting IE from the program files, you will break Windows in a terrible way. You can use special tools to get IE out of Windows successfully, but what you end up with is a mutant OS that no programmers really account for. If you want to use Windows, just try to ignore IE. If you can't ignore IE, Linux is a very nice OS, or you can find a copy of WindowsNT4.0 and use that.
http://ubuntu.com

She's used Linux before, but the work she produces is too dependent on the Windows OS platform. We really didn't think getting rid of IE would cause so much damage to the OS.

Menelmarar said:
You can't, it's highly integrated into the OS. All you can do is remove the shortcuts.

Are there absolutely no tweaking programs out there that can manage this?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It's very much appreciated.

Nope cant download updates through anything but IE, even after setting the default to FF. And as I said, not all updates are downloaded automatically.

Back