What can I do to help save this video card? Please lend advice!

Zero Absolution

Weaksauce
Hello all. So I have had this card, a 6800GS XFX XXX version, with me, for about two years now.Yes, I figure to most overclockers I look like a lazy guy right now... this is out of the box OC. I've never messed with the clocks. Let me tell you... this thing runs hot. Too hot lately, and I don't know why.

Today, I got up to 110C while playing just WoW for a few hours. Imagine what could happen if I was playing something like Stalker!

I upgraded my case recently to a Lian Li V1000 B Plus 2, from an NZXT Guardian. Everything's been left default, including the intake/outtake configurations. But my card's still sitting around 60c idle!

I was thinking of buying a Thermalright SI-128 to replace my stock CPU fan (a stock-clocked AMD 3500+ Winchester). My cpu sits around 45-50c... would this really help much? What else can I do for my card? I was thinking about upgrading soon anyways.

first of all.. id try cleaning the dust out from the heatsink. a card that old is bound to have some dust lying in it.

first of all.. id try cleaning the dust out from the heatsink. a card that old is bound to have some dust lying in it.

I would try that, my friend had a cpu idling in the 150's F, I blew all the dust out and it then idled at 90ish F. Dust keeps air from flowing trapping the heat.

I would try that, my friend had a cpu idling in the 150's F, I blew all the dust out and it then idled at 90ish F. Dust keeps air from flowing trapping the heat.

I third that suggestion. Also, check the airflow in your case as a whole.

Ah, truth be told, airflow with wires was a little bad. I got some wire ties today and cleaned up my fan wires, and also sleeved my IDE's. Following with a blow of air... I've found over the past few hours today, this has helped my temperature... down only 10 degrees less. Helpful during load especially, so I give thanks to that. But this unfortunately isn't over just yet... :confused:

Back