Dell 2407WFP-HC = severe ghosting :- (

Manon66

Weaksauce
I bought this monitor last week, at first everything was fine and today all of sudden I see severe ghosting when scrolling web pages.. it's green or red ? WTH ? I thought it was solve with the HC version... How do I remove this annoying ghosting ? thanks

I guess some have it bad and some barely at all. I would have never noticed anything on mine if I hadn't read about it here - and even then I had to really search for it in Far Cry - not noticable at all if you're playing the game and not nitpicking little faults in the display.

I didn't calibrate it, but I adjusted the contrast/brightness/color values to make it far more natural and accurate. I doubt it's anywhere near perfect, but I don't really care.

There's actually more than one ghosting issue with this monitor - some people have worked around the green/red while scrolling by lowering the colors to R=86, G=85, B=84 as detailed here.

Note that this is different from the new problem shown in the video linked in the post above, which Dell are investigating and for which they've promised an exchange under warranty once they've produced a firmware fix.

Thanks I set it to 92-92-92... .too low and it look like everything is daker. It solved the green ghosting issue on webpages but still have the black ghosting issue in somes games.... Well look like the perfect PC monitor doesn't exist yet :mad:

I dropped my colors to 90 and do not see the ghosting anymore.

I am real happy with the monitor.

that's an intesting video of the issue. sounds like not everyone is suffering from it, but looks like others are seeing some pretty obvious artefacts presumably caused by aggressive overdrive implementation and poor control of this.

I read a review of an NEC monitor using the same panel (samsung S-PVA) and it had the exact same problem. I bet it affects them all but some people just don't notice.

PVA panels are actually the slowest responding panels and have the most aggressive overdrive to make the response time faster. This is clearly and overdrive artifact.

For people experiencing ghosting, are they taking video card into consideration? That's a pretty high native resolution (1920 x 1200) and requires a pretty beefy card, I'm sure... So it might help if people experiencing the ghosting listed their hardware, specifically video card. (For example, I've read posts by some people with 8800's who don't seem to experience this with this monitor, so either they got a "good" one without this issue, or the video card power may have something to do with it). Anyone with a top-tier card experiencing the ghosting? I'm considering this monitor for my new system (both productivity and gaming use), so it's definitely a concern.

Use this ICC color profile...It reduced the ghosting on my 2407wfp-hc by a HUGE amount, YMMV, but its definitely worth a try because it did wonders for me.

http://rapidshare.com/files/53189075/2407WFPHC.rar.html

For those who do not know how to use a color profile.

1.Place the ICM file downloaded above into here: My Computer > C: > Windows > system32 > spool > drivers > color
2. Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Color Management > Add > Select ICM color profile.

I've found an article that can shed some light on this. Especially since the "fix" is altering the white point of the monitor LUT by adjusting RGB. Here, adjusting the refresh rate collided with the overdrive due to the monitor LUT.
Don't have a 2407WFP-HC myself, but care for widescreen gamers and their screens.. :)

To translate a little, the LUT (Look Up Table) in this context is an algorithm used by the panel to decide how much voltage it needs to apply to the liquid crystals in order to rotate them the desired amount. The screen receives a request from the graphics card to change the image, and so then has to decide how much voltage is applied to the pixels to change to this image. At 60Hz, the LUT is capable of sending a correct amount of voltage to the liquid crystals, and this is based on the application of overdrive, giving the panel an over impulse to speed things up. This is the principle behind overdrive, and is explained a bit more here if you want to read about it. So at 60Hz the LUT sends a good amount of overdrive driven voltage to the crystals and we get a nice responsive panel.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/overdrive_at_75hz.htm

Maybe the LUT and thus the voltage settings is wrong to begin with on the 2407WFP-HC? If so, they should issue a firmware update to permanently fix this.

I've found an article that can shed some light on this. Especially since the "fix" is altering the white point of the monitor LUT by adjusting RGB. Here, adjusting the refresh rate collided with the overdrive due to the monitor LUT.
Don't have a 2407WFP-HC myself, but care for widescreen gamers and their screens.. :)

Maybe the LUT and thus the voltage settings is wrong to begin with on the 2407WFP-HC? If so, they should issue a firmware update to permanently fix this.

That could be it - I have red and green at like 99/98 respectively, but when I first got it I put blue to 91 or so because everything looked way too cool.

And what exactly does the ICC profile do? I didn't notice any difference with it on or off

You need to restart the machine before you see any differences, since windows loads the profile into the GFX LUT at startup. Alternately, you can open a color aware program like photoshop and use that profile as your workspace. :)
About the ICC profile:
http://www.color.org/faqs.xalter

The RGB controls are there to alter the white point. That means how white will look according to the lightning in your room. 6500K is the daylight standard for color temperature or white point. If it looks blue, you most likely have a higher white point above 6500K or are in a dark room. To alter this, you need to adjust more. Its a hell to do this manually, but here is what happens:

If you raise blue, red and green gets lower. If you raise red, blue and green gets lower. If you raise green, blue and red gets lower.... You need to find the balance. As aid, you can hold up a sheet of white paper while using a full white screen. :)

and also try the following test, open the same picture as your desktop background with the windows viewer... You'll see the colors are different from your desktop ! To get the same colors you must use the sRGB 2.1 profile.

All,

We have several teams investigating the issue but have yet to discover the root cause. Until we know the root cause, we cannot have a corrective action plan. The discussion about poor control of the RTC (Response Time Compensation) technology and aggressive overdrive on TFT Central is currently under investigation. This will take some time. I can say that there will NOT be any in-home bios flashing of the monitors. If they decide that a fix can be implemented by bios flashing (which is just conjecture at this point), this will be done by us on the factory level. If this is done, you would need to initate a monitor exchange. Please keep tabs on the 2407WFP-HC thread on our forum for any updates:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&thread.id=81254

You may return the monitor now or wait for us to announce our findings. If you decide to return the monitor now for credit while inside the first 30 days from the invoice date, contact Customer Service (Chat, Email, and Phone):
http://support.dell.com/support/top.../en/contact_us_options?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~tab=2

They will need the following information -
20 digit PPID number on back of the monitor
Name, address, phone, email address
Order number
Return Reason

The monitor warranty coverage is as follows -
- If you purchased the monitor tied to a PC, the PC warranty coverage applies to the monitor (either the 90 day, 1 year, or the 3 year plan)
- If you purchased the monitor by itself, you paid for either the 3, 4, or 5 year monitor warranty coverage plan

DELL-ChrisM
DCF (Dell Community Forum) Liaison for XPS Desktop, TV, Monitor, Projector
A+ Certified

Looks like the new Dell 24" has the same inverted ghosting as the Gateway 24". I got rid of that POS Gateway for the Dell 24" FP A04 and got rid of all those problems. Didn't think I would see this issue on a later revision Dell.

All,

Please check for ghosting using the Multimedia and Gaming modes in the OSD and tell me if it makes a difference.

This kind of scares me, I was thinking about picking up a 2407 to replace my 2005, I love my 2005 nothing wrong with it but I would like the 24". Don't know what to do now.

This kind of scares me, I was thinking about picking up a 2407 to replace my 2005, I love my 2005 nothing wrong with it but I would like the 24". Don't know what to do now.

Buy the 24" LG then if you are buying one now. Dell really dropped the ball on this one. I own a 2405 Dell BTW.

there is ghosting in all modes...........there is ghosting no matter what ICM profile is use...
Please find a fix.

thanks

Dell dropped the price by $100 for a week.

The dell web forum says they found the problem for the ghosting.

Is a REV 01 coming soon?

the same ChrisM who said DELL found a solution, well yesterday he said they doesn't.. Look page 24 message 235

He's only a pseudonym :mad:

If you called tech support,they have no clues !!!

According to Chris:

"IF there is another revision, you will all be able to initiate an exchange for this new revision."

Or might they jump right to a new model to try to erase the PR they have with this monitor?

If so will we be left hanging?

All,

If you still have the 2407WFP-HC, please private message me your username and email address.

Does anyone know when the next model will be out? I was planning on buying a 24" Dell.

For anyone reading the thread ChrisM mentioned on Dell's forums, look at the first post on page 50. Follow-up messages mention the only recourse for unhappy owners is a refund. :\

I've been following that thread for 3+ weeks as I was planning on buying that monitor. So much for that thought. Now to find something else.

If you have the 2407WFP-HC, I need your HardForum username and email address. Send them to me in a private message.

What does the Dell legal response posted on this thread mean to you?
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=83191

(1) There will not be another 2407WFP-HC revision to address the ghosting nor will we fix the current one.

(2) You may keep the monitor OR initiate a refund by 11-8-2007.

(3) If you wish to return the monitor for a refund before 11-8-2007, please send an email to the following address:
[email protected]

(4) The subject line of that email should read, 2407WFP-HC Ghosting Refund/CRA (credit return authorization)

(5) In the email, provide the following information:
Name
Address
Phone number
Order number and/or Service tag number
Monitor 20 digit PPID number
Reason: I need a Refund/CRA (credit return authorization) due to the 2407WFP-HC Ghosting issue

I didn't think they could fix this. It is integral to the samsung panel. It seems very likely this NEC is using the same panel:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-nec-lcd2470wnx-part11.html

"the Overdrive control has been badly aligned with the panel. Although there is no streaking worth mentioning and bright corona effects around dark objects are minimal, bright objects display a dark, clearly recognisable shadow behind them."

i have one on order when i think about it i cant live with my 20crt burning my eyes, i guess il see how it goes... from what i have read my only other option was tn based panels in the 600 price range

I bought mine at Costco and the ghosting issue is pretty annoying. Going to return it as soon as a viable replacement appears at Costco, and for those in the same boat, I called Costco and having a monitor separately does not fall under the 90 day return restriction on TVs and Computers, so theoretically you could return it for a full refund at any time.

Back