Gold macbook pro......almost.

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
Not quite finished with the MBP but here's the bottom side of the laptop. Things aren't going as fast as I had planned but if all the pieces would turn out like this, I'd be happy. Easier said than done though, the top cover was destroyed by a careless plater.

goldmacbookpro.jpg

goldmbp1.jpg

Some more parts got in yesterday:

Will probably have the rest back by monday or tuesday.

gmbp1.jpg

A little over half of what it costs to buy a macbook pro. There's a lot of work in stripping parts really.

As far as chrome goes, I've been talking to someone interested in one. Not sure if it's going to happen but it's easily do-able.

Black chrome? You can do black nickel but that's nearly the same price of gold.

Black chrome? You can do black nickel but that's nearly the same price of gold.
Like this.

blackchromemo5.jpg

I have heard it cost around the same price of chrome to plate things, and it has a great look to it IMO.

This is what wiki says: "Black chrome is a variant in which process conditions are altered to give the plating a dark color."
And they are just talking about altering something in the chrome plating process

Ah, I doubt my plater does much black chrome if any. It looks a lot like chrome+transparent powdercoat. Now that combo produces some great colored finishes

How in the heck do you paint / plate a keyboard like that? Did you have to re-label each freggin key?

Paint, a bit of time with corel draw and a laser. At least I can do it quicker now that the first one's done. There was a few practice runs to make sure each mark was centered.

Would be funny to take it to an Apple store for servicing.

Sorry about that picture, it's polished and gold plated as well. I just didn't get a good pic yesterday. I'll take another one in a sec...

edit: updated pic

Would be funny to take it to an Apple store for servicing.

Sorry about that picture, it's polished and gold plated as well. I just didn't get a good pic yesterday. I'll take another one in a sec...

edit: updated pic

Please do. And please bring a video camera.

Back