Replacing the mic on the Razer HP-1 Barracuda headset for $21

kennyj449

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I bought this headset, and after several hours of extensive tweaking (still going) I've gotten it to the point where it sounds pretty damn good for 90% of the music and movie audio that I listen to. The microphone, however, is terrible. I found that I need to enable the 20dB boost just to make my voice come across at a decent volume, but it doesn't sound very good, and there's a ton of noise (even without the boost.) Fortunately, since it uses a nearly-standard 3.5mm plug, it can be replaced without having to deal with any additional wires.

The trick to this is that the microphone (and possibly the jack) uses a stereo 3.5mm TRS connector and said connector has continuity between the ring and the sleeve - in other words, it acts just like a mono plug. Unfortunately, the jack on the headset seems to be built specifically for mono plugs, and as such, stereo plugs that use the ring connector aren't going to work at all - you'll just get electrical noise, and nothing else.

Short version: Get this headset from your local Walgreens: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100406&navAction=jump&navCount=2&id=prod3373998#
And get these from your local Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=right+angle&kw=right+angle&parentPage=search
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...reo+mono&kw=1/8+stereo+mono&parentPage=search

I found out that GE makes a few inexpensive stereo headsets now, sometimes with the brand name "Jasho," all of which have one unique feature - the microphone is removable (for use on laptops and portable devices,) is a boom mic (better for voice-only use) and uses a 3.5mm connector just like the one that the Razer microphone uses. All of their headsets appear to use the same microphone. One model is available at Walgreens (it took two tries to find it locally; it's located with the phone headsets) and the different models can also be found on several websites, including Amazon.com. It also seems to be a decent microphone given the price of the headsets; it's very flexible and seems to cancel noise well.

The only catch is that it has the problem I described above - it uses a stereo connector but pushes the same signal across both the ring and sleeve, which means that mono-only jacks (like the one on the HP-1) won't work with it - you just get an irritating hum. It's also not very long (4.5" not counting the connector) and the jack on the HP-1 points straight down, so you'll need a right-angle adapter.

I couldn't seem to find any stereo-to-mono right-angle adapters anywhere I looked, but I did find that Radio Shack stocks a right-angle adapter that's stereo to stereo, as well as a straight stereo-to-mono adapter that also comes with gold contacts. The right-angle adapter plugs into the bottom of the headset so the mic will extend straight towards your mouth, and the stereo-to-mono adapter plugs into this, which also has the bonus of extending the microphone's length. The combination gets you 2 more inches of reach and the mic boom points straight towards where it needs to be. I put some ProGold on my contacts for corrosion resistance, particularly out of concern for the tin connectors on the right-angle adapter. Electro-migration is a Bad Thing.

I tested it out today, and the difference is night and day. This microphone doesn't require a 20dB boost, picks up very little noise, but picks up your voice quite well. Considering that it comes with headsets in the $10-$15 range that can be found locally, and the Razer HP-1 headset runs from $100 to $140 and usually needs to be ordered and shipped from somewhere remote, it's quite sad that the mic they provide is so easily and tremendously outclassed by this. The adapters were each $4 and the headset at Walgreens is $13, giving this mod a total price of $21 plus tax if you buy everything locally. You even get a second, working headset out of the deal, which could be handy if you need something lightweight and low-profile that you can break out for casual voice use. Later on, I'll see about posting a sound test comparing the two microphones, and maybe some pics of the setup.

Here's another example of this headset type: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...5745?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2R0FX412W1BDT&v=glance
Again, the one I used: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100406&navAction=jump&navCount=2&id=prod3373998
The model at Walgreens is 98971; there are easily three or four different styles for this headset but this is the only one I've seen Walgreens carry. The nice thing is that Walgreens isn't marking it up too badly; if you're just going for the mic, it's cheaper in a store than buying the cheapest model online and paying for shipping.

The only catch I can find to this setup, aside from having a boom in your face (as with most good headsets) is that it swivels from left to right somewhat easily, and the boom might be a little too flexible for some peoples' tastes. You could easily fix that with a carefully-applied piece of thin vinyl tape on the plug side of the right-angle adapter (for friction against the headset) but unless you tilt your head from side-to-side at >60-degree angles frequently, it's not an issue while the headset is in use. It's also pretty obvious that you're using adapters but it doesn't conflict too badly with the headset's aesthetics, since the components are all still black except for the connectors. I'm still looking around to see if I can get a stereo-to-mono, right-angle, gold adapter, but Radio Shack stocks no such creature either online or in-store, and I haven't yet located one anywhere else (my usual sources come up dry as well.)

I'm sure there might be a better option but I searched high and low and didn't see any microphones that worked in this way without solder or epoxy required. I don't mind doing so, but I don't like voiding a warranty without knowing that whatever I'm working on is actually going to work better than what I have, and there are no guarantees until you actually try. The next best option I could think of was getting a USB mic (hooray for mute buttons and reduced electrical noise) and epoxying it to a dummy 3.5mm plug (for use as a connection point,) but I didn't see any that were reasonably-priced and looked like they'd be acceptable for the task.

The only other decent alternative without resorting to a desk or clip-on mic is to find another headset of this design type (don't know if it has an actual name) like the ones made by Turtle Beach, which uses a good boom mic with the same connector, and purchase a replacement mic for that headset. I checked on a couple of these and didn't find a mic I could purchase as a replacement, but if someone were to offer such a thing, it would be a nice option.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just picked up the headset and was considering returning it after all the complaints I got from people on Teamspeak. It would have been a shame too because the directional sound for gaming is top notch. I'm off on a little adventure today to piece the headset together. Great post.

Good luck. Remember, if you have the gain on the mic cranked up, lower it when you install the new mic, or you'll blow someone's eardrums. Probably your own.

worth.gif

Extremely great post! I'm having the same issue with the mic on my Razer. Well, I'll try to pick up these items over the weekend and post back in a few days how it went. Thanks much:)

The only catch is that it has the problem I described above - it uses a stereo connector but pushes the same signal across both the ring and sleeve, which means that mono-only jacks (like the one on the HP-1) won't work with it - you just get an irritating hum. It's also not very long (4.5" not counting the connector) and the jack on the HP-1 points straight down, so you'll need a right-angle adapter.

You mean 'tip and ring', surely? 'Sleeve' is always ground, no?

Anyway, do I understand the gist of your post to be that the mic linked IS a TRS mic?

I keep finding mono mics, and since re-wiring the front-panel jacks on my system to use 1/4" stereo plugs, I've been looking for TRS 'boom' mics without much luck...

Big thanks to the original poster for this solution. I tried it and it works beautifully. The replacement mic picks up a even a whisper without any problems. Great for late night gaming. Being from the great white north, the only thing that changes in the setup is where to get the removable boom mic. Couldn't find the GE one up here, but used this instead:

http://www.tddirect.ca/products/63296/CYBER_ACOUSTIC_RETAIL/AC_208/

Can be picked up from Best Buy, where they will price match it if you ask ;-)

The radio shack parts are the same from The Source by CC.

Again, thanks for a great solution.

Cheers

so i had the same problem with my headset and used this mod and it worked for a day then i got on vent the next night and my mic was messed up. I did not use progold or metal lubricant. could that be the problem?

Good Fix, used the Stereo to Mono Adapter with the 90 Degree Adapter with a removeable mic from a Dynex Headset (DX208) I got from Future Shop and every thing works great now, thanks for the suggestion. It still Irk's me that Razer can't seem to address this on their own but at least now everything works great.

Hello All

Old topic, but as I got great help from here I decided to share my mic replacement experience.

It took me several days of googling but finally I found it - a 90 degrees 3.5 mm stereo to mono adapter! Yes, no multiple adapter needed to attach an aftermarket microphone to Razer HP-1 :cool: The make and model of the this adapter is 'Philmore 561A' and it looks like this:

audiov21.gif

It can be found from several electronics web shops and I ordered my piece from Ken's Electronics, where it's listed as 'PH-561A'

Using this adapter I could plug a cheap GE look-a-like boom mic to my headset and it works like a charm.

Sorry to hate on you guys but wtf are you doing wasting your time with this crap? There's better out there and a $7 Zalman mic is all anyone needs for years of use. Mine is 5 yrs old now and still going strong.

Really don't want to come across as a hater but damn I hate these cheap ass "gaming" headphones. The screws in yours will fall out soon so start planning on how to fix that issue too.

Sorry to hate on you guys
Hey don't worry, I hate you too ;)
but wtf are you doing wasting your time with this crap? There's better out there and a $7 Zalman mic is all anyone needs for years of use. Mine is 5 yrs old now and still going strong.

Really don't want to come across as a hater but damn I hate these cheap ass "gaming" headphones. The screws in yours will fall out soon so start planning on how to fix that issue too.

I play mostly at nights due to time difference to and can't use desktop speakers. I've tried a few hifi-grade stereo headphones and surround headsets with 4 different sound cards. The only combination which provides me with decent sound quality & positional sound effects is Razer HP-1 headset connected to Razer AC-1 sound card. End of story.

I understand that you have different preferences and I respect your decision to use stuff that you're comfortable with. I expect you to do the same.

Hey don't worry, I hate you too ;)

I play mostly at nights due to time difference to and can't use desktop speakers. I've tried a few hifi-grade stereo headphones and surround headsets with 4 different sound cards. The only combination which provides me with decent sound quality & positional sound effects is Razer HP-1 headset connected to Razer AC-1 sound card. End of story.

I understand that you have different preferences and I respect your decision to use stuff that you're comfortable with. I expect you to do the same.

lol cool

but

I have tried EVERY headphone you could reasonably try for gaming. That razer isn't on my top 100. If it works for you great. My setup was a whole lot more expensive and I wish I could be happy with something cheap and easy.

Kind of an old thread to bump. I just wanted to post that I bought the turtle beach replacement mic and it does NOT work. I ordered all the parts in the OP today.

Kind of an old thread to bump. I just wanted to post that I bought the turtle beach replacement mic and it does NOT work. I ordered all the parts in the OP today.

Really? I own the hpa-2 and the razer and my mikes between the the two.

Well, the idea was that with the turtle beach mic, you wouldn't need the adapters.
Did you bought "Twist-Lock" version or the regular one? Seems that Twist-Lock is proprietary to Turtle Beach and cannot be used with Razer headset.

I ordered the regular one. It works with the stereo/mono adapter, but the post earlier in the thread said it would not be needed.

Just an FYI, I have a Fatality XFI card and the Razer Headset that was giving me the problem. Based upon the prior information about the stereo to mono adapter, I went to Radio Shack and picked one up. I instead of swapping out mic's, simply put it infront of the Mic connector on my sound card and the static etc. has sense disappeared and the stock mic sounds good.

Thanks again to all for your insight...

Back