NEC 20WMGX2 Image Persistence

dhar2285

n00b
I received my 20WMGX2 refurb today to replace my 1 y/old 20WMGX2, and it is excellent in every way but one: Extreme image persistence. I turned the brightness down to 25%, and after 5 minutes at the Vista desktop, dragging a Paint window filled with dark gray over various parts of the desktop reveals an after-image of what was there before, e.g. the Vista Sidebar clock. I've never seen anything like this on an LCD display, and I guess that's the reason this monitor was returned in the first place. Is there any chance this will improve with time? Anything I can do?

If its that bad right off I would send it back. I have read that a monitor can have some built up pressures in the new liquid crystals and that some issues resolve in a couple weeks but I read that had to do with random areas of color/light discrepancies and not distinct graphic impressions.

So here's the question i want to know, and why i just ordered a Dell 2007wfp first (if it is not IPS after one exchange though it is going back and i'm getting the discounted NEC):

You said you were replacing the older one, the older one never suffered from this?

I have been ehearing some odd issues that seem to have cropped up recently, as if the newer NEC 20wmgx2's have some new problems possibly.

Image persistance for some people on the 20WMGX2 is not a new issue nor is is widespread. Right now you have a lot more people buying the display because its $399 at the egg with rebate (it was $700 last summer) so more people are posting lately. We went over this image stuff at Anandtech months ago.

If its that bad right off I would send it back. I have read that a monitor can have some built up pressures in the new liquid crystals and that some issues resolve in a couple weeks but I read that had to do with random areas of color/light discrepancies and not distinct graphic impressions.

It is going back. This is absurd. Who needs Vista's Aero Glass, with "technology" like this? :)

Seriously, it's a real shame. Now that I know what to look for and have developed a test to show it at its worst, I can see that my year old 20WMGX2 exhibits very, very minimal persistence. This refurb I've received (for a very different reason) is totally off the charts; I've never seen anything even remotely like it, and I discovered the problem during normal desktop usage, while not looking for it. It's a shame because the monitor has zero dead pixels, almost no backlight bleed, and it seems to have a better white point than my original 20WMGX2. Somehow, I knew it was too good to be true, and I was proved right when I saw the Vista sidebar clock peeking through an opaque window background almost like a photo negative. I think I said earlier it takes "5 minutes" for the persistence to manifest; I've since determined that after the monitor has warmed up, it takes about 2 minutes for the persistence to become noticeable, and that's at 25% brightness, the lowest I can go. A shame!

Well if you like things about the monitor I would take another chance at a good one. Most people have no issue and often remark they had no dead pixels/backlight issues etc. I can feel you pain since I spent 2 months and forty hours on the phone with Dell trying to get 2007wfp issues resolved (thats how I ended up with NEC thankfully) but it all worked out for the best. LCD displays can be a real PITA if your a knowledgable shopper - but you'll get what you want sure enough in time. I think I'll get a second NEC myself. I wanted the Dell 30" but its matte. The NEC is most fun computer thing I ever owned and 400 USD is a steal.

When I first got my 20WMGX2 I noticed a bit of image persistence with browser taskbars and such but I haven't noticed any since. Of course I also hardware calibrated after the first few days so that could have something to do with it..;)

Well if you like things about the monitor I would take another chance at a good one. Most people have no issue and often remark they had no dead pixels/backlight issues etc. I can feel you pain since I spent 2 months and forty hours on the phone with Dell trying to get 2007wfp issues resolved (thats how I ended up with NEC thankfully) but it all worked out for the best. LCD displays can be a real PITA if your a knowledgable shopper - but you'll get what you want sure enough in time. I think I'll get a second NEC myself. I wanted the Dell 30" but its matte. The NEC is most fun computer thing I ever owned and 400 USD is a steal.

Having a good monitor is important enough to me that I actually ordered a backup 20WMGX2 from Newegg last week as a hedge against there not being any decent, affordable monitors available in the next couple of years. I bought my first 20WMGX2 a year ago, but it's developed 10 sq in (and growing) of irregular "blotchiness" along the top of the display; it looks kinda like water moving through a sheet of paper due to capillary action. It's also developed a handful of dead pixels over the year I've had it. Hence the refurb.

Anyway, I'm going to keep the refurb a few days and see if the persistence problem, well, persists. I expect it will. :( What does it mean to "refurbish" an LCD monitor, anyway? If it has dead/stuck pixels or image persistence, I'm unaware anything can be done to fix those problems, and I suspect manufacturers just rebox the afflicted monitors to use as warranty replacements.

Having a good monitor is important enough to me that I actually ordered a backup 20WMGX2 from Newegg last week as a hedge against there not being any decent, affordable monitors available in the next couple of years.

Got my backup from Newegg today, and it's a keeper! No insane image persistence like the refurb, and no weird area of creeping discoloration like my old 20WMGX2 has developed. There are no pixel defects, and the whites are "whiter" than my old 20WMGX2. There is some minimal backlight bleed which may well go away as the monitor breaks in, but it's acceptable as is. This is why I spent $600 a year ago for this monitor; it's far better than anything else out there, and it's even sweeter now to get a new, "perfect" one for $200 less.

Got my backup from Newegg today, and it's a keeper! No insane image persistence like the refurb, and no weird area of creeping discoloration like my old 20WMGX2 has developed.

So have you sent your previous monitor for repair because of the discoloration? Or did you keep it and get a refurb?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1219973&highlight=20wmgx2

Were they able to fix the discoloration problem? Or did they send you another monitor?

I'm really interested in this because I have that discoloration problem too:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1176529

You should contact NEC about that. I sent mine in for the discoloration and image persistence, and they replaced the panel.

Back