ErgoHuman Chair $509 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Well I have been looking for a chair and ended up getting one of these.
http://www.thehumansolution.com/ergohumanmeshhi.html There is a coupon for -$70 off and another coupon code for Free Shipping.

CC: "FREE" - free shipping
CC: "ERGOHUMAN" - $70 off ergohuman chairs.

Here are a couple reviews:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/thehumansolution/ergohumanreview.htm

This one compares it to Herman Miller and Humanscale Chairs:
http://www.1officefurnituremall.com/Ergohuman-vs-Competitors.html

This chair is $599 at the local office depot.
It can be found on ebay with color options for $579 shipped.

But I found it here on sale until the end of the month for $509.

Yes I just blew $505 on a chair, but after going to Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, Costco. I liked this one the best by far due to it's FULL adjustability and comfortable lower back and mesh seats. It is VERY adjustable, not just height, arms, and single forward position lock. Since I'm renting a room, I spend the majority of time in my room sitting in my chair while awake. I think it will be worth it. I think they are running this promotion until the end of the month, although they seem to have removed the information about the Coupon Code fromm their website today.

edit: Pricing has Changed and there is now a special [H] deal if you call the company, the origional coupon stacking no longer works...
orig price - 70 coupon - 20 for hardforum + free shipping $489?

good luck!

You may have blown $505 on a chair, but how valuable will that be in 20 years when you will be able to stand up straight and not have back problems. I should probably order one too - maybe I'll go sit in one at office depot to see if I like it first - well, for $500 I better LOVE it :)

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it more :)

I agree with what Lomigc has said. For some of us, who work at the computer for 10-12+ hours a day - a good chair will help your health immensely. When you sit, you actually exert more pressure onto the back than when you stand, and a proper chair will help prevent bad back problems.

One question: Does anyone know how sturdy this chair is? I seem to be buying a new computer chair every year or two (assorted ones from staples/office max, and a few of those gaming chairs from best buy). I weigh 190 (over 6 ft), so I don't think that should be a big issue. If anyone can attest to it's sturdiness, I might be in :)

it seemed more sturdy than many of the other chairs I looked at that felt cheap and plastic like. But your best bet is to go sit in one before you buy it. Unfortunately my chair is killing my back at work, so I keep thiking "Must buy chair" even though this will be used at home. I just could not get this off my mind untill I ordered lol. I'm in some kind of flimsy wood padded Dining / Visitor style chair at work, but its more comfortable than the really crappy comptuter chairs with no lower back support that I'm supposed to be using. At least it will be a nice break when I get home.

The first office depot I went to this chair was busted or not assembled correctly. I thought What a POS. But the next office depot had a huge selections of chairs and it seemed pretty sturdy. it also has limited lifetime warranty and I have been told that the company will ship replacement parts often without requesting for the defective parts back. (like if the Mesh were to come unstiched or whatever.

I have been thinking of buying this exact chair, or one of the older Herman Miller Aeron chairs, I would be curious if you would post back when you receive it, and let me know how you like it.
Also pics wouldn't hurt :)

Trust me when I say this chair is awesome, flat out awesome and quite possibly the most comfortable I've ever sat in - we just got a few in our office about a month ago - so excellent. My only gripe is with the rubbery coated armrests - for that much money, they could put something better on that, but I understand that such a material makes it last longer, so it happens. Either way, it is an excellent chair, and if I had the money to drop on one for home use, I would in a heartbeat.

I almost bought this chair a few months ago but decided that $500 was just wayyyy too much for an office chair...

I was hoping your thread was "$300 ERGOHUMAN!" lol

Also for the people who can't get to an office depot to sit in one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gSSp07H1lU

i cant wait till i make enough money to blow $500 on a chair...

this thing looks flippin sweet

Yea this isn't the most practical for some, but it would be my only chair since I rent for now. I use my chair more than any other piece of computer equipment, including the desk and keyboard. At least I

Actualy the best solution would be getting a better chair for at work and sitting in a cheaper one at home, hmmmm, yea I'm not bringing this to my office haha. Maybe I will take my old one in, which has plastic armrests

I will let you all know if this chair gets me laid.

Nice video, sums it up. If they are comparing this thing to $1000 chairs so it had better be good. $70 off was the best price I could find, althought I did find the more expensive leather one on ebay is only 499 as well, I wanted a mesh chair though.

Any thoughts on the material? (leather vs mesh)

I just tried your coupons on other ergohuman variations like the leather chair, and it works ($20 base price higher).

Leather Chair:
http://www.thehumansolution.com/ergohumanleatherhi.html

You can see the other chairs here:
http://www.thehumansolution.com/ergohuman1.html

I almost bought this chair a few months ago but decided that $500 was just wayyyy too much for an office chair...

I was hoping your thread was "$300 ERGOHUMAN!" lol

Also for the people who can't get to an office depot to sit in one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gSSp07H1lU

Wow uh... that chair looks crazy.

Also looked around and there is NO sales tax unless you live in Texas....

Damnit, I just spent $509 on a chair too. :( It probably didn't help that my butt was hurting while I was looking at the site sitting in my current chair...it's the equivalent of grocery shopping while hungry.

As it goes, coming from a user, let me detail a few things. First, the material debate - I prefer the mesh, not just because it looks cool, but because I'm always very warm, and the mesh gives you quite a bit more breathing than a standard chair. As for those wondering if this chair is worth $500 - that really depends on how you use it. If you only spend an hour or two constantly sitting with no breaks...you could probably get by with a cheaper chair with no real issue (or if you can fit a 5 minute break in here and there). If you are a real diehard gamer or office professional where you are stuck at your desk for hours and hours on end - this chair could very well be a lifesaver. Now, I know that sounds overdramatic, and I don't want it to come out that way, however, this is by far the most comfortable chair for extended periods that I've ever found. I've seen more comfortable for short periods, but this one doesn't lose comfort or sacrifice posture over the long haul of a day. It has I believe something like 12-14 individual adjustments to support your every uniqueness.

So...basically - to answer whether it is worth $500 for a chair - it really depends on how you are going to use it and for how long.

We have chairs similar to this at work (herman miller's), and I do not like them. They are semi-comfortable, and the mesh material EATS HOLES in your pants. After a few weeks you'll notice by your wallet area that the material on your jeans/khaki's wears right now. On the small scale, the material expanding and contracting acts like scissors on your pants fibers when you move around on the chair. If you can get the leather, get it. Avoid the mesh material at all cost.

Hi Guys. I felt the same way as many of you when I went looking for some "ergonomic" chairs for my employees. When I first went into it I was hoping to find chairs for under $200and quickly realized that I wasn't going to find anything truly ergonomic with a warranty for that price. I did a ton of research and had it down to the Aeron and the Leap chair. I almost bought a bunch of Aerons until one of my colleagues told me about the Ergohuman chair, which was like the Aeron but much less in price. The Aeron is just over $1000 fully loaded. I went to Neocon where the chair was being displayed for a trade show and it seemed like evryone at the show wanted to buy one. I sat in the mesh version with the headrest and found all of the similar adjustments and a couple more than the Aeron. The mesh was nice and soft with a form fitting aspect that was much better than knock-off mesh. It was also very heavy, about 65 lbs, which is a good sign that the chair is sturdy. It is all metal with the only plastic on the chair being a few casing areas to keep cords and such out of sight. I ended up deciding to go with the Ergohuman Mesh because I thought that it was more comfortable. I let my employees go to this website http://www.1officefurnituremall.com/eurotech-ergohuman-chairs.htm where they have a bunch of colors and I let them pick out their own color. They were pretty excited about that. All authorized dealers have to list the price for $579.00 but I was able to get the chairs for $509 by getting an instant quote throught their live chat feature and the order was processed the same day. I received free shipping, a lifetime warranty and didn't have to pay sales tax. I received tracking information the next day and the chairs are scheduled to be here today. I think my employees are more excited than me which is a very good sign. I will post a follow up after everyone gets to use the chairs.

One of the subsidiaries of my employer has theses chairs for their employees. I must say these chairs are excellent. I have a bad back and it is a big difference when comparing it to the chair I use at my desk. If you can splurge $509, its definitely worth it.

The_headlina (total posts: 1)

This is obviously an advertisement. Everyone has to have their first post, but this one REEKS of promotion.

We have chairs similar to this at work (herman miller's), and I do not like them. They are semi-comfortable, and the mesh material EATS HOLES in your pants. After a few weeks you'll notice by your wallet area that the material on your jeans/khaki's wears right now. On the small scale, the material expanding and contracting acts like scissors on your pants fibers when you move around on the chair. If you can get the leather, get it. Avoid the mesh material at all cost.

Not sure on the mesh you were using, perhaps hermal millers are different but this is the first time I have heard of this problem. I didn't feel to much contracting going on when I used this thing but I guess time will tell. I have to take my wallet out of my pants anyways to sit comfortably for long periods. I'm going MESH all the way! Leather is nice at first until I start sweating. I'd go cloth over leather for my use.

Too much money for a Herman Miller clone. I love my Aareon.... HM FTW!

How does the mesh compare to the Pellicle material found in Aerons?

I've found that there are lots of imitations and attempts to get the same "feel" as the Aeron material but no one comes as close as the real thing.

I have a $300 knockoff version of the mesh from OfficeDepot and it's not nearly as cool in the summer as the Aeron and not breathable at all. It's this waxy material as opposed to the silky feeling I've felt when sitting on an Aeron.

Curious if the ErgoHuman's mesh is more waxy or more silky smooth feeling.

How does the mesh compare to the Pellicle material found in Aerons?

I've found that there are lots of imitations and attempts to get the same "feel" as the Aeron material but no one comes as close as the real thing.

I have a $300 knockoff version of the mesh from OfficeDepot and it's not nearly as cool in the summer as the Aeron and not breathable at all. It's this waxy material as opposed to the silky feeling I've felt when sitting on an Aeron.

Curious if the ErgoHuman's mesh is more waxy or more silky smooth feeling.

I dont know. I have not sat in a Aeron, this was just the most comfortable of the chairs I tested. This is the braided type of mesh not the padded stuff like the best buy gaming chair if that is what your asking. it is definately fully breathable. I don't remember what the mesh felt like exactly since I had my cloths on when I sat in it. Aeron may be better, it should be it is twice as expensive! I heard the costco mesh chairs that go for $300 were not all that comfortable, as even some $150 chairs, so price matters nothing in terms of comfort to me. Thats why I shopped around first, and then again everyone unique. You could find a totaly non adjustable chair that is more comfortable than this one for your purpose, but it might not be comfortable to someone else etc.

I don't think this chair is a Herman Miller clone. It is completly different. Even if it is a clone how can 1/2 the cost be too much for a chair more adjustable than the Herman Miller itself?

My Fiend has the hermal miller clone (if that is what you want to call non-herman miller chairs) from staples the one on sale for $125 I think it is a global, and he said it was much more comfortable than the $300 costco chair. I tried the global and it was not bad, just not enough adjustment for me, and he said he had to warranty the mesh part.

Here is a more expensive chair than either, but I don't know if it is any better. Someone rich try this! you can always return it to costco :)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11235136&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|1892|3207|53382|69422&N=4024334&Mo=20&pos=0&No=11&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=69422&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC15792-Cat53382&topnav=

This Forum is like therapy, at least I'm not the only one who blew my cash on this thing now, helps me justify my investment ;)

I thought the mesh on the Aeron and the Ergohuman was very similar. I was told by the rep there that they use the same style of mesh. I also sat in some office star chairs that had mesh and they were very stiff and had the waxy feel that you guys had talked about. I liked the Aeron and Ergohuman mesh though.

Honestly I've heard lots of people say they find this chair a lot more comfortable than the Aeron. And the Aeron may be double the price retail, but you can get them cheaper on eBay. This chair isn't on eBay except as "buy it now."

The lumbar support and headrest are two things that aren't on the stock Aeron too. And those are two thing I find indispensable. Damn here I am convincing myself it's worth $500 again.... must control debit card.

Anybody get this in yet? If so, how do you like it? I can't justify spending that kind of money on a chair, despite the fact that I spend an inordinate amount of time in front of the computer. I would like to bring it to work, but then everyone will look at me funny (cheap bastards all have crappy chairs...).

i sat in this chair at office depot and it feels pretty damn good but not 500 good

I have the $300 version (without the 3 piece back) and it's very comfortable. Never regretted buying it. Although sometimes I do wish I had a head rest for when I lean back to play some console games.

i sat in this chair at office depot and it feels pretty damn good but not 500 good

That's how I felt too... but I think the big thing with the expensive ergonomic chairs is that they still feel as good 7 hours later. There are more comfortable chairs but not for as long a time.

people are willing to blow $500 on a video card that becomes obsolete in a year, so i think its ok if a chair costs that much, as long as it is high quailty and does what it claims to, id get it but i need that $500 for a new video card rofl :)

Guys, I've tried that chair out and it is NOT ergonomically correct. They had some notions of what would be "good" when they designed it, but I can only see it working for someone with very specific proportions and weight distribution -- and even then it's probabbly not as good as the Aeron. On the other hand the Aeron chair IS correct for pretty much anyone who sits in it, that's part of the marvelous engineering. And, it's waaaay more comfortable. Try them both and you'll see.

Take the lumbar/pelvic support. On this chair it's a seperate floating peice which has no adjustments for position or tension, and no way near enough support to keep my posture correct. The aeron is correctly shaped to begin with, plus has adjustable lumbar tension and some attachments you can get to additionally support the pelvis (you don't want the pelvis rolling back/under, which is common with most junky office chairs).

While the idea of the mesh is good and in both chairs distributes weight nicely, the aeron's frames supporting the mesh are much more organically contoured... so the basic shape that the mesh is being stretched in is far more ergonomic from the get-go. It just feels much better, much more natural.

So, this chair is like $200 cheaper and has a headrest. The aeron is better in every other respect, and it's incredibly durable.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it more :)

I agree with what Lomigc has said. For some of us, who work at the computer for 10-12+ hours a day - a good chair will help your health immensely. When you sit, you actually exert more pressure onto the back than when you stand, and a proper chair will help prevent bad back problems.

One question: Does anyone know how sturdy this chair is? I seem to be buying a new computer chair every year or two (assorted ones from staples/office max, and a few of those gaming chairs from best buy). I weigh 190 (over 6 ft), so I don't think that should be a big issue. If anyone can attest to it's sturdiness, I might be in :)

I have owned this chair since Dec. '06. I'm 6'4" 275lbs. so a sturdy, big mans chair was a must. I lucked onto a close-out deal at my local OD and couldn't be happier. This chair is Fantastic!!! I in it for 8-14 hours per day and have never experienced any discomfort or pain like I did in a "normal" office chair. In short, Buy it, you won't regret it. And your back will love you for it.;)

Too much money for a Herman Miller clone. I love my Aareon.... HM FTW!

Now if only we could find the cheap chinese bootlegs.

ETA: Oops, just finished the thread and spoke too soon. $150 for a bootleg is a lot though.

Guys, I've tried that chair out and it is NOT ergonomically correct. They had some notions of what would be "good" when they designed it, but I can only see it working for someone with very specific proportions and weight distribution -- and even then it's probabbly not as good as the Aeron. On the other hand the Aeron chair IS correct for pretty much anyone who sits in it, that's part of the marvelous engineering. And, it's waaaay more comfortable. Try them both and you'll see.

Take the lumbar/pelvic support. On this chair it's a seperate floating peice which has no adjustments for position or tension, and no way near enough support to keep my posture correct. The aeron is correctly shaped to begin with, plus has adjustable lumbar tension and some attachments you can get to additionally support the pelvis (you don't want the pelvis rolling back/under, which is common with most junky office chairs).

While the idea of the mesh is good and in both chairs distributes weight nicely, the aeron's frames supporting the mesh are much more organically contoured... so the basic shape that the mesh is being stretched in is far more ergonomic from the get-go. It just feels much better, much more natural.

So, this chair is like $200 cheaper and has a headrest. The aeron is better in every other respect, and it's incredibly durable.

Maybe you got them confused, it looks like those the aeron has less lumbar adjustment, where as this chairs lumbar is adjustable and has plenty of support, what does the aeron use for lumbar support anyways should you add it on? Not one of those crappy plastic back pieces right? If it cannot support you then you must be well over the weight rating for this chair as I'm 200 lbs 6' and had no issues, Also you do realize the bottom of the seat slides forward and back while the lumbar and chair back both slides up and down independently, this means nearly anyone should be able to find a perfect comfortable position.

I have no idea what an organic contour is.

Maybe the aeron is better, after you add the headrest and lumbar support it is also twice as expensive. It SHOULD be at least twice as good. For me the herman miller is not even an option as $500 is already pushing the envelope for a chair.

I tried the $300 version as well, it was ok, but the extra $200 I felt was well spent. I would have gone with the $150 global over the $300 version of this chair, the ergohuman was still more comfortable and adjustable, but I did not feel it was twice as nice as the $150 global.

Maybe you got them confused, it looks like those the aeron has less lumbar adjustment, where as this chairs lumbar is adjustable and has plenty of support, what does the aeron use for lumbar support anyways should you add it on? Not one of those crappy plastic back pieces right? If it cannot support you then you must be well over the weight rating for this chair as I'm 200 lbs 6' and had no issues, Also you do realize the bottom of the seat slides forward and back while the lumbar and chair back both slides up and down independently, this means nearly anyone should be able to find a perfect comfortable position.

If you've not tried the aeron chair, then i can't see how you can compare the two. I had one for 3 years at work and if i could get one again I would. This chair in office depot is more of the same Aeron knockoffishness and none of the same quality engineering. The chair is based on their other cheap office chairs; the Aeron has vastly higher quality and more durable pedestals, suspension/seat tilt mechanisms, etc. It's like buying a car; (would you expect better overall quality from a souped-up top of the line isuzu or a stripped-down bottom of the line mercedes?

I did find the lumbar suprisingly unsupportive. My back doesn't have an extra curve in the lumbar where that ErgoHuman has that lumbar thing, it's one seamless curve and what's the way the aeron chair is designed. You can change the Aeron's support in the lumbar area with the adjustable pad, OR the add-ons can provide very specific, very precise pelvic support which isn't even a design consideration of the ergohuman.

I have no idea what an organic contour is.

The mesh is stretched over a plastic frame. The shape of that frame will determine the shape of the mesh; think of it as a 3-d surface with "organic" contours. The Aeron chair's seat pan frame is shaped in such a way that each thigh is supported in it's own stretchy zone; with the Human chair, the frame is not so contoured and is just one big mesh zone. The Human chair basically relies on the mesh approach for comfort but the Aeron goes a large step further and contours everything to be the right shape before you even get the mesh effect. This means more support-- not just for comfyness, but so that you're properly anchored in a good seating position so the rest of your mid/upper back, shoulders, etc are correctly balancing your higher weight.

Maybe the aeron is better, after you add the headrest and lumbar support it is also twice as expensive. It SHOULD be at least twice as good. For me the herman miller is not even an option as $500 is already pushing the envelope for a chair.

From looking at ebay and sitforless.com, they can be had with lumbar support for as low as $600-$725. Bear in mind that HM has other cheaper chairs with are far better-designed than anything you'll find in OD -- we have these at my current job. IMHO, that $600 price for the ergo human chair is way-overinflated because it's their top-of-the-line item. Judging from other chairs they have that share parts with it, and the typical markup on those chairs, the fair price for this chair should be about $350-400.

Apparently lumbar support *is* optional, I thought it was standard. As for a headrest.... I'm not sure of the value of that. If your sitting posture is correct (thanks in no small part to the chair) it shouldn't be possible to use the headrest unless you're reclining, and then it might be nice...

Some *good* chairs:
LifeForm (do DO get what you pay for)
HumanScale Freedom
Herman Miller Aeron
Herman Miller Mirra
Steelcase Leap

I tried this chair the other day without realizing it was this one at OD. It's $599, and I thought to myself that it doesn't look it. It looks very, very, very cheap. But...

It was indeed one of the more comfortable chairs I've ever been in. The headrest was off, felt like I was leaning against a metal pole, but it is adjustable. The lumbar support felt good to me. I would get it if it was $300. There is another chair, the OD Maverick, that I felt was pretty good:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=277968&Ntt=maverick&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text

$200 bucks.

I tried this chair the other day without realizing it was this one at OD. It's $599, and I thought to myself that it doesn't look it. It looks very, very, very cheap. But...

It was indeed one of the more comfortable chairs I've ever been in. The headrest was off, felt like I was leaning against a metal pole, but it is adjustable. The lumbar support felt good to me. I would get it if it was $300. There is another chair, the OD Maverick, that I felt was pretty good:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=277968&Ntt=maverick&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text

$200 bucks.

Yea I tried that one too, I like the extra adjustments on the Ergohuman, plus I wanted the mesh material as I live in SoCal and it gets very hot here. When you change to mesh instead of fabric the price really jumps at least $100, in which case that chair is now comparable to the $300 Ergohuman, but you want the hedrest and lumbar support so add another $200. yea $500 for a chair IS alot, but from my shopping around I didn't see any cheaper alternatives.

I will most definately be using the headrest, as I recline back and watch my movies on my westy. Again this is an all around chair for me not just a sit at desk and work chair.
The only thign I wish it has was something that I could pop out for my feet like a recliner hah. Like I said, this will be the only chair I have and will be used for everything, You can add that stuff to herman miller, but it is very expensive.

Honestly I don't think buying chairs is ANYTHING like buy a car, theres way less stuff to consider. I'm not buying into the herman miller name at all. I have heard plent of people say if it's not herman Miller, it's crap. or everything that is not Herman Miller is a Hm knockoff. Well thats BS too. The design of this chair is compleatly different than the HM chair, no need to argue just look at the thing. The only thing similar is that it also uses mesh... But hey some people buy cars just because they say BMW on them or whatever, and are pround that they own a BMW jsut because of the name. If it costs more it has to be better right? BTW IMO $200 for an aeron is a huge difference in cost, no way I would pay over $500 for this thing or the aeron. I'm not rich, my back just hurts...

Most peoples backs are not perfectly straight either, maybe yours is but I found the lumbar support was excelent and in fact was one of the things I really liked about this chair.

I have not sat in the Aeron, because no one around here carries it where I could test it. There is no way I'm spending that kind of cash on a chair, untill I sit in it myself. hell theres no way I would buy it anyways. Too expensvie! Now if my work was purchasing a chair for me I'd be willing to bite!

I don't think the ergohuman felt cheap at all, the whole thing was metal and felt very solid. I In fact every other chair I did try felt cheap in comparison, esp the armrests and the way the adjustments worked on others. I have heard from a number of people over and over that they prefer it over the HM. Some however still like their HM chairs better. But please just because it is a mesh chair does not mean it is a HM knockoff or imitation. It's just a company that is starting out, trying to get their name out there. If they had a bunch of brand loyal customers I'm sure they would jack up the price as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back