Tormond Interview ++++ Hard DC'er of the Month --- June 2007

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member

Please join me, Pocatello, in congratulating Tormond for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for June 2007. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has over 1,100 active folders. Tormond is currently ranked #11 on our team, and he has nearly 4.6 million points. In July and August of 2007 he produced about 500,000 points per month. Wow! In the next week he will jump three places to take over spot #8 on our team. WOOT! He is ranked #129 in the world.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=146992

There is no one set to overtake him at this time.

I did this interview about ten days ago... so some of the points information is out of date.

Basic Information

How many F@H points do you have?

Currently about 4.4 Million.

How about United Devices and WCG points?

None.

How many boxen do you have? Break this number down between borgs and your personal machines.

Personally about 10 to 15. Borgs... I have no idea as they are spread over everywhere and a lot of them may or may not have dropped off. Stanford lists me from day to day as having around 140 active reporting CPUs (this changes but 140 seems to be the right average #).

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

Started Distributed Computing with F@H and honestly the only one that has ever interested me. Started about 2 to 3 years ago.

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

From the very beginning. I have never folded a WU for anyone else.

What is your average F@H points per month?

Currently looks to be around 400K a month or so. The new console client WUs with higher points have really helped as I run VERY few SMP clients.

Did you contribute to United Devices?

Nope.

How about WCG?

Nope. I loaded the client and it looked too mish-mash to me. I was never sure what I was working on. I want my CPU time to be used for something I personally feel can be useful. I don’t give a shit if we find ET.

Personal Information:

Name: Trey Ormond

Occupation: Network Analyst for a Healthcare Organization that deals with Physically and Mentally Handicapped Children.

Hobbies:
Computers and Home Theatre. I am really waiting for Transformers in HD DVD so I can piss my wife off by making it too loud (again).

What is your [H]ard OCP username? What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

User name is tormond. If you notice carefully it stands for Trey Ormond.

Want to link to a picture of yourself?

I have linked it in the past (of me and my wife and the first child). Let me see if I can round up one with the newest addition as well.

--------------------------------------------

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

I actually am pretty happy about it. I have been here a long time and want to continue seeing the [H]orde kick ass and take names. To be chosen from all the wonderful people that are part of the [H]orde means a lot to me. I just hope I can live up to the hype. J

Why do you think you were chosen?

I honestly am not sure. I feel I am one of the few people left that continues to put strong numbers up for the team and continues to try to be active on the forums (although work has been running me so ragged lately that this has been a bit difficult). There were so many who left the team over a misunderstanding that it actually hurt me to see what the "team" actually meant to them. You guys are the reason I started folding, keep folding, and will continue to fold. There isn’t a better place for me to call home and in my mind never will be.

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

For the Cure. I don’t really care about points, I am more interested in the science. I am happier that I am about to break 20K WU than I am about any points (although my initial goal was to fold as much as Midnight Freak which was a goal I accomplished last month).

If DC’ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

Cancer. This is the silent killer that affects SO many people out there. Alzheimers is a VERY close second but there are so many forms of cancer that a cure there would help more people in the long run.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

Not really sure. I am a pretty open guy. I am a huge fan of live and let live. If you aren’t bothering me I don’t really care what people do.

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

I see myself folding for the [H]orde and aspiring to be what FLECOM is.
J

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

I borg everything I can get my hands on. I borg family, friends, work. It really is amazing how simple it is to ask anyone you meet "Would you like to help in the fight to cure Alzheimers and Cancer?"

I have yet to run into anyone that has said no. What I find works wonders is I tell them very simply, "Let’s try it for a week. If you notice any difference at all I will be more than happy to remove it and you won’t hear another word from me." I have had to remove it one time and that was from someone whose cooling just wasn’t adequate and it caused their temp alarm to go off constantly.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

I would like to see us continue to be the #1 team and #1 place for F@H info (in conjunction with Hardfolding.com)

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

I would love to see people do a little more recruiting to the cause (I suck at this as well). I want the sub-forum to get back to the fun and mod-annoying place that it once was. J

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Borg! Borg! Borg! Most people can’t afford to have a rack of CPUs just running F@H and their electric bill up. Let more people that you know KNOW about distributed computing and how the "distributed" part works. People are amazed when I explain how many years it would take for the worlds fastest supercomputer to do one protein and then how distributed computing does it in a fraction of the time. Help defeat the beast that ruins so many lives. One day it may be that you have folded for yourself.

Did I forget to ask you anything?

I am partial to Blue Cotton Boxers.
J

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you as well for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it. Keep on folding! Fold on For The Win! For the [H]orde!

I don’t fold for the win I fold for the cure! And as always I fold with the [H]orde, the coolest most respectable guys (and gals) I have ever met on the internet.

Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC’er of the month.

Thanks. I consider it a great honor to be selected from a group that I deem to be the best on the web! (well except Xilikon cause I can’t type his name right still).

.:D

Thanks. I consider it a great honor to be selected from a group that I deem to be the best on the web! (well except Xilikon cause I can’t type his name right still).

Great interview but boo on my nick name spelling :eek: Want me to help you spell it right ?? :D

Congratulations for a great interview, I hope others is as great as this one (mine sure is). ;)

Told you I couldn't spell it right. I wasn't lieing to anyone :)

This is the first [H] interview I read.

Great work, and congratulations. :)

I didn't realize that Tormond was in NC too. Cool. Congrats!

Well I am in NC this week anyway :) Actually I travel a ton so I am kinda all over the place. In Charlotte this week (beginning) and will be in Morehead at the end of the week. Will be in Florida start of next week....Travel to just about all areas of NC over the course of a month so if you would like to meet some day for lunch or something feel free to shoot me a PM with location and I will see when the next time I am in that direction if we can't meet up :)

Tormond Congrats! You are a few hours out from passing me by. That is great. No really it hasn't happened much. It is good to see people moving on the first page!

Tormond Congrats! You are a few hours out from passing me by. That is great. No really it hasn't happened much. It is good to see people moving on the first page!

Mike McHugh? I don't see you posting enough around here! ;)

Send me a PM, will ya?

Doing these interviews is fun. :D

Back