24 Hyundai Monitor???

Alusnova

n00b
Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone that knows more than me can help me on this, I like many people have been looking for a 24 inch monitor so we can play PC and console games at 1080p with minimal issues.

I recently saw that Hyundai released a 24 inch monitor

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3296559&CatId=2318

But before ordering I decided to contact Hyundai and this was the email that I got from them (those are my questions with the answers back from them):

Please be informed the below e-mail of response to your questions. We hope that this may help you to choose the product.

Thomas Kim

Hyundai IT Service Division
777 Mark Street
Wood Dale, IL 60191

Tel: 1-800-568-0060
Fax: 630-595-2345
E-Mail: [email protected]

WWW.HyundaiMonitor.com

------------------------------

Hi,

I'm interested in the 24 inch lcd W240D, but have a few questions:

Is it a 6 bit or 8 bit panel?

This model is using 8 bit panel that producing 16.7 Million color.

What type of panel is it MVA, IPS,PVA,TN, etc?

What's the actual viewing angle tigerdirect list it at 160/160 (making it TN) and your specs here list it at 178/178?

This model is using TN type of panel that has viewing angle of 160(V) / 160(H).

Now THE 2 most important questions:

Are both the HDMI and DVI port HDCP compliant?

And lastly, has it been tested with an actual PS3 and actually getting 1080p (thru HDMI) with no overscan and 1:1 pixel mapping? And for that matter XBOX 360's now have HMDI ports.

DVI input supports to 1920 x 1200 resolution that covers 1920 x 1080 resolution.
HDMI input supports to 720I/P & 1080I/P of video input signals
Component input supports to 480I/P & 720I/P of video input signals

I would appreciatte if I can answers to this before I make a $600 dollars investment, i already tried the BenQ 24 and Gateway 24 and both didn't displayed 1080p correctly with the PS3 had to return both of those so I'm hoping this monitor does it.

I basically want to connect xbox360 thru VGA, PC thru DVI and PS3 thru HDMI and make sure everything displays like it's suposed to, that's why all the questions.

Everything looks good from his answers but where it kind of confuses me is that he says is an 8 bit TN panel and 160 viewing angle? I thought 8 bit panels would alway be better than TN and better viewing angles, what you guys think? they giving some Corporate BS or what?

Thanks for any comments.

Also might as well post about this monitor.

The NEC LCD24WMCX , again the specs are a bit confusing so I contacted them and they also emailed me a spec sheet. This one is also a VGA,DVI and HDMI monitor but after getting their email got confirmation that is a TN panel too. =(

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=ce7c6221-b221-4c93-8243-938ad36dcea8

In fact these 2 monitors ( Hyundai and NEC) seem almostt indentical but at 24 inches is TN good for this size with 160 angles?

Man i'm beginning to think there will never be a good monitor =(.

What you guys think on either of these 2 monitors?

To Alusnova:

So I assume you have already tried PS3 via DVI port (with DVI-HDMI adaptor/cable) on BenQ 24" FP241 and it still couldn't do proper 1080p on 1920x1200 1:1 mapping, no overscan, no underscan?

No I tried the PS3 thru HDMI only. The setup that i wanted was to connect my xbox360 = VGA, PS3=HDMI and my PC = DVI.

Hrm... basically I didn't want to lose out the DVI for my pc gaming (DVI) but will I get the same signal if i buy a HDMI-DVI cable?

So the setup would be : 360=VGA , PS3 = DVI and PC = HDMI ? Should work right...?

There is no difference between HDMI and DVI so I would try the PS3 on DVI and PC on HDMI if you still have the monitor.

Still waiting on that knows more on this stuff to maybe give me an opinion.

The question really is can a monitor be 8 bit and TN ? ( according to Hyundai's CS)

Now i guess the main question is if it displays 1080p with the PS3 thru the HDMI with no overscan and 1:1 even at 160/160 viewing angles then is it worth it?

Thanks !

Also might as well post about this monitor.

The NEC LCD24WMCX , again the specs are a bit confusing so I contacted them and they also emailed me a spec sheet. This one is also a VGA,DVI and HDMI monitor but after getting their email got confirmation that is a TN panel too. =(

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=ce7c6221-b221-4c93-8243-938ad36dcea8

In fact these 2 monitors ( Hyundai and NEC) seem almostt indentical but at 24 inches is TN good for this size with 160 angles?

Man i'm beginning to think there will never be a good monitor =(.

What you guys think on either of these 2 monitors?

Crap. I'd asked about those new NEC's in that big 2690 thread. I was afraid "all TN" was going to be the answer...

I've tentatively decided on buying one on Friday. Has anyone else on the forum picked one up?

Well checking themonitor's manual and something at least on paper that makes me happy is the fact that the monitor says it supports:

HDMI/Component:

- Full 16:10
- 16:9 Ratio
- 4:3 Ratio
- 1:1 Displays iamge accordning to actual input pixels.
- Zoom1: Enlarges images by 20%
- Zoom2: Enlarges images by 25%

You can checkout the manual here:

http://www.hyundaiq.com/Eng/DownLoad/MonitorManual/View.asp?page=1&SchSel=&SchStr=&idx=262&V_nm=39

Hrm the monitor is now $539 at Tigerdirect and I'm soooo close of ordering one to try out but with BF being so close too...

Why would you order from Tiger Direct when you can buy it from Hyundai directly? I've been eyeing it for a while, and while a couple other monitors interested me, if the Hyundai lives up to it's promise, it would be a great deal.

PS: The link to the manual you posted doesn't seem to work. Can you email me the english pdf file?

email to:

cirkustanz
@gmail.com

I tried ordering directly from them but they said you have to be a distributor.

Anyways I agree if this monitor does what it says it does then imho it's almost the "pefect" 24 inch/1080p gaming monitor I've been looking for. just haven't ordered because Black Friday is so close but I'm about to with the 30 day money back guarantee.

Manual sent.

I was referring to TigerDirects return policies, and how the customer has no choice on what to do if they are not satisfied with the product.

I seem to have had a different experience with the Hyundai reps in terms of being able to buy it directly. I've received an order form and they have been calling me back looking to have a purchase made for a couple days now.

I think it might be because I originally contacted them from my work email address, if there is actually an exclusion about being a distributor or not.

I guess I'll find out. But I won't buy a monitor I have not seen with a return policy as limited as Tiger Direct's is. I'm waiting to see what Hyundai will offer in this regard.

Thank you for the confirmation about it actually being a TN screen by the way. I have to agree that this companies website borders on being shady. Oh well.

I keep changing my mind on this, but the things that keep itching at me are a few specific things.

First of all, height adjustment on a monitor is a definite importance to me.

I would like two forms of digital input, hdmi + dvi would be ideal, but there is no detriment to having 2 DVI inputs as far as I can tell, since you can just get a hdmi-dvi cable.

Best Buy has a decent selection of monitors that I can look at before I buy, and will obviously have a much more friendly return policy in regards to liking it, or not liking it.

Hyundai will not do this, and will only allow the monitor to be returned if it is DOA.

One of the things that has been irritating about some monitor alternatives, such as a westinghouse or an LG, is that a lot of them have an HDMI input, and no DVI. The spec sheet, and even best buys website SAYS they have hdmi + dvi, but they really don't.

Having an HDMI input and no DVI means that when using a computer on it, power management will make the monitor not be turned off from inactivity, you will get a blue screen. It's a known issue, and one that is a little odd, since monitors for the last 10 years have supported turning off from inactivity. Nuisance, at the most.

(this was fixed, or is limited to certain graphics cards, or something, because the monitor I ended up purchasing behaves like normal, the power light turns amber, and the backlight turns completely off)

But if it has an HDMI input, and a person wanted to plug in a computer + a PS3, this is what they have to do:

DVI-HDMI cable from the computer
HDMI from the PS3

Instead of going into the monitor directly, they connect into one of those HDMI switch devices such as the ones that monoprice.com sells.

So I think the smart thing for me to do, would be to buy a monitor from a more respectable company, maybe even a retailer directly, and pick up one of these from monoprice.....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=3047&seq=1&format=2

From feedback I've seen on those devices, they seem to work PERFECTLY.

Oh yes, I forgot one little thing.

Can a PS3 use an HDMI output EXCLUSIVELY for video? And the audio output would be stereo RCA cables? I am assuming I would have to use the standard connector for audio, (it's the exact same one that a PS2 uses) but would that be enabled for use with standard computer speakers?

I'd certainly assume so.

Did you get the manual? Because the manual shows this model has VGA,DVI and HDMI and Component connections. Unlike the LG Best Buy listed one and others. Even checking Hyundai's web site it shows the model having all these connections.

About Tigerdirect return policy yeha I hate it but I checked and this monitor has a 30 day back guarantee (I also called them to confirm that)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3296559&CatId=2318

So it may not be that bad to check out and lose out on the shipping.

By the way to answer your question about the ps3 I have it connected to a Samsung 2232 with HDMI-DVI cable and have the composite cables connected to my speakers for sound since the monitor has no speakers , all you have to do is go to the ps3 audio settings and set it to RCA/composite output and obviously the video set it to HDMI output.

Thanks for confirming that about the PS3 connectivity.

I am using a samsung 245 right now, which has the same type of panel as the hyundai, a TN screen. I'm planning on exchanging it tomorrow for the LG.

Yeah, the inputs don't really bother me though. The switch boxes from monoprice.com will do the job just fine. I'm hoping I will like the LG more. I thought the samsung went into portrait mode when I looked at it on the display, but it only rotates a little bit to allow the angel to be adjusted.

Not to mention I do think I like the component as well as USB hub in the LG.

I'll post tomorrow night or Sunday morning.

That being said, 1920x1200 Grace Park wallpaper.............wow!

Back