AMDx2 [email protected] first day!!!

WarlordOne

Limp Gawd
Ok, it's my first day with my new AMDx2 3800 Toledo but I couldn't resist overclocking it. I have it up to 2.7Ghz already stock volts on a 7000Alcu. Wow these things are easy to overclock. I didn't hit any limits yet but I've got to stop because I'm having friends over for the football game today :D

Anyway, according to the Sis Sandra "Processor Arithmetic" benchmark it's on par with the Athlon FX2-60 DC 2.6. I don't know that much about AMD but I think that's a good thing. I'll get some screens posted when I can.

Also, quick question...I like the Cool and Quiet feature. Is there any reason not to use it when overclocking? I'm switching over from a Pentium M desktop and that's one of the features I really liked.

some say c'n'q mays the overclock unstable some times but i used it all the time when i had amd cpus.

Its usualy recomended not to use C'n'Q when overclocking. I use a program called Crystal CPU to get the same effect as C'n'Q.

Ive owned two sofar. Hit 2.7 within about an hour on each. After thorough stability testing the max turned out to be a MASSIVE!............................... 2.7 on each lol. I hope you have better luck.

Well, I'm back at it but no matter what settings I change in BIOS cpu-z only shows 2.77Ghz...even when it should be showing 2.8 or 2.9...am I missing something? It's booting and everything runs fine but not showing the increased clock speed. Even if I add more volts.

I'm using a foxconn motherboard. 1650BK

The only settings I've been changing are the HTT fsb /multi and DRAM settings. Even though they're using a Manchester in this guide the advice had been working fine with the Toledo. Any help would be appreciated.

Might be the board not letting the HTT go past a certain point even though you set it higher. Read some reviews on the board, maybe find some message board discussions about it.

Also, dont go higher than around 1.5 on the vcore if you are looking for an everyday overclock (Assuming its 90nm). Stuff higher than that is moving into the iffy zone.

As for toledo vs manchester, they are identical except for cache. In the case of a toledo 3800 its one that has had half of its cache disabled to make it the same as an manchester (which didnt have it built onto the die during production).

I'm still at the stock volts because I want to keep the temps down. Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I was thinking but I'll see what I can find out about the board. I'm happy with 2.77Ghz, But it seems like the CPU is capable of more. I think I just keep it here for a while and worry about optimizing Vista and deciding on a video card.

Might be the board not letting the HTT go past a certain point even though you set it higher. Read some reviews on the board, maybe find some message board discussions about it.

Also, dont go higher than around 1.5 on the vcore if you are looking for an everyday overclock (Assuming its 90nm). Stuff higher than that is moving into the iffy zone.

As for toledo vs manchester, they are identical except for cache. In the case of a toledo 3800 its one that has had half of its cache disabled to make it the same as an manchester (which didnt have it built onto the die during production).

Got mine to 3.05ghz @t 1.45v 305fsb, second day though lol ;). Amazing cpu for the price, open boxed at newegg:cool:

Got your what to 3Ghz?

From what I've read 99% of the people out there with AMDx2 3800's top out at 2.7-2.8Ghz. So if you're running 3Ghz cool and stable maybe you can post some helpful info.

Got mine to 3.05ghz @t 1.45v, second day though lol ;)

Got your what to 3Ghz?

From what I've read 99% of the people out there with AMDx2 3800's top out at 2.7-2.8Ghz. So if you're running 3Ghz cool and stable maybe you can post some helpful info.

Yeah its pure luck. You cant really share info on how to get a chip past its limits. Unless you are telling them to use dry ice or something. The newer chips are a bit different than the ones we used to get though. I got a family members 3600+x2 to 2.9 prime stable on stock voltage (Cheap motherboard with no voltage adjustments). Still a big matter of luck though.

I'm using a msi k8n neo2 platinum with the x2 3800 toledo also. Basically i used the overclocking guide and am using a overclocking bios :cool:. I got some tips and tricks from this. Not sure if it would help you but its pretty good info
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033.

I set my Hypertransport to 3x and then since my ram is only 200fsb ram i had to use a divider so i'm not 1:1 completely yet ;). I just switched to water cooling from air so that helps with temps. I noticed if i set my power over 1.475 it can't boot at all so maybe a bios error or something but like this is the most stable bios for the motherboard. 70251d.rar

Bioses here http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html

Pretty sure on your motherboard you can probably get around the same results. Just tune it up right and your good to go.

Voltages are off in cpuz i think
cpuzge8.jpg

On that board you have, you have to increase the voltage with the % increase. Not the pick a voltage thing. I used to have one. Quite the buggy board but good on memory.

Ok thanks, that's good info.

I did a little more reading about my board and I found out that I'm stuck at 2.77Ghz unless I turn down the HT multi to 3x...like you did. Seeing as I'm running 2.77Ghz at stock volts I'm hoping that I have enough room left to get to at least 3Ghz. I don't have any time to mess around with it till Sunday but I'll let you guys know how it goes...

I also got mine from newegg because I read somewhere that they had the x2 3800's with the best stepping...not to mention it was only $59 shipped. Looks like you and me have the same chip...

I'm using a msi k8n neo2 platinum with the x2 3800 toledo also. Basically i used the overclocking guide and am using a overclocking bios :cool:. I got some tips and tricks from this. Not sure if it would help you but its pretty good info
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033.

I set my Hypertransport to 3x and then since my ram is only 200fsb ram i had to use a divider so i'm not 1:1 completely yet ;). I just switched to water cooling from air so that helps with temps. I noticed if i set my power over 1.475 it can't boot at all so maybe a bios error or something but like this is the most stable bios for the motherboard. 70251d.rar

Bioses here http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html

Pretty sure on your motherboard you can probably get around the same results. Just tune it up right and your good to go.

Voltages are off in cpuz i think
cpuzge8.jpg

Ok thanks, that's good info.

I did a little more reading about my board and I found out that I'm stuck at 2.77Ghz unless I turn down the HT multi to 3x...like you did. Seeing as I'm running 2.77Ghz at stock volts I'm hoping that I have enough room left to get to at least 3Ghz. I don't have any time to mess around with it till Sunday but I'll let you guys know how it goes...

I also got mine from newegg because I read somewhere that they had the x2 3800's with the best stepping...not to mention it was only $59 shipped. Looks like you and me have the same chip...

lol yup, pretty sure you'll hit 3ghz just like me :). Got mine only a week ago to. I hit 3.18ghz but i need more voltage and everything so i just decided to stick with 3ghz for now ;).

Ok, did the tweaking that I read about and hit 3Ghz which is the max for this board. I still have to do some stability testing and final tweaking but I am very happy!

Go ahead and run Prime95 torture test. I bet you will hit an error within one minute.

lol its running great. Was running it all day and night with no blue screens or anything at Newegg lanfest2k7. The games were really smooth compared to my athlon xp i use to have lol. I almost hit 3.2ghz but it rebooted so now i just have to get it stable at 3.1ghz. Pushing the boundaries on this cpu. I corrupted the bios like 4 times already but luckily i have a eprom burner to burn back the chip. Corrupted after i hit 320fsb so i might need to back down the hypertransport to 2x but idk if it will be slower if i do that. So i might just stablize it at 3.1ghz. Its around like 35-42c on water cooling.

90 dollars on ebay but i wanted to get it in the first place anyways since it was overheating everything in my case on air. Really quiet compared to my Vantec Tornado 92m fan lol. Cpu costed 57 bux opened box at newegg. Never going to air thats for sure. Not sacrificing the overclock because of a loud comp. Use to be able to hear it from upstairs to downstairs with the vantec. ;)

lol its running great. Was running it all day and night with no blue screens or anything at Newegg lanfest2k7. The games were really smooth compared to my athlon xp i use to have lol. I almost hit 3.2ghz but it rebooted so now i just have to get it stable at 3.1ghz. Pushing the boundaries on this cpu. I corrupted the bios like 4 times already but luckily i have a eprom burner to burn back the chip. Corrupted after i hit 320fsb so i might need to back down the hypertransport to 2x but idk if it will be slower if i do that. So i might just stablize it at 3.1ghz. Its around like 35-42c on water cooling.

Isn't Hypertransport for dual cpus to talk to each other? Since you don't have two physical sockets I'm not sure it's even used?

Go ahead and run Prime95 torture test. I bet you will hit an error within one minute.

Orthos says your wrong, lol.

But IDK that I'm going to keep it at 3Ghz. All the benches say it's not much faster than the 2.77Ghz. Probably due to the fact that the FSB is lowered to 8xxMhz and the memory is only running at 180mhz with the timing loose. I'll probably return it to 2.75Ghz so I can run it on stock voltage and keep the memory and the FSB overclocked. I'm still pretty impressed with what this old processor can do.

Back