Dell 2407fpw-hc colorshifting?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
I bought and received a Dell 2407fpw-hc. It's really nice (one stuck green pixel in the middle of the screen), but one thing is bothering me. The screen has a colorshifting problem. If I move my head 3 inches to the left or right the colors change to have a slightly tan hue. It doesn't get worse the more I move my head, its only with that first 3 inches that it does shift colors and then it holds that shifted color no matter what angle you look at the screen.

I didn't think the Dell's had the colorshifting problems since its not a tn-panel? or is Dell putting in Tn panels now? I ask that because alot of people have been commenting about green ghosting, I was able to see the green ghosting on a screen at the Dell store but I can't see it on this screen I received. Also for the dead pixel do I have to return the screen within the 21 days of Dells satisfaction policy or can I be returned anytime during the 3 year warranty?

Edit: I'm using a dvi cable from mono price, I wouldn't think that would cause this problem but maybe?

Something most people don't know is that PVA screens (like your dell) actually shift more in the horizontal direction than even TN screens do. TN screens shift more obvious in the vertical direction. Most people notice TN shift more easily because it is one direction. (Dark top, lighter bottome). PVA shift loses contrast (and color) off axis in both directions, but changes in the horizontal are more noticeable.

Only S-IPS screens have really stable contrast in both directions and these screens are hard to find or very expensive.

PS: Typing on a TN screen after getting rid of a PVA screen I couldn't stand using.

Example of a screen shot two clips side by side. The dark section from the center of the screen, the pale one from the edge and this was shot directing in front of the center of the screen, not at an angle. On a CRT or an IPS monitor both sections would be the same.
original.jpg

Original source image used for testing:
http://www.pbase.com/image/59690548/original.jpg

Unfortunately a dead sub-pixel, even in the middle of the screen doesn't warrant a replacement from Dell.

I was paranoid about dead pixels when I bought my Samsung 245T a couple of days ago, and found this site for a summary of the various manufacturer's dead pixel policies:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/666-8/a-look-into-dead-pixels-2007.html

Some stick to the ISO standard, others (like Eizo) have better policies.

Either way, thanks to the UK Distance Selling Regulations Act: if you bought it as a consumer over the internet (in the UK), you can send it back within 7 days for a refund (with no restocking fee). You may have to pay for the postage though.

Have you tried gently massaging the pixel with your finger wrapped in a cloth, or tried the pixel saver free utility Widow Pixel Fix? Not sure about either of those approaches though, so use at your own risk!

So if I exchange it, I'm just going to get another screen that will have the same color shifting?

My old 2005fpw was s-ips and I really liked it, I sold it to upgrade to a 24" but I didn't think the newer Dell's would have colorshifting.

Are there any 24" screens that are s-ips? If so are they under $600, and in a retail store (I don't buy lcd's online because I can't see them in person, and returning them is a pain, Dell being the exception)?

So if I exchange it, I'm just going to get another screen that will have the same color shifting?

My old 2005fpw was s-ips and I really liked it, I sold it to upgrade to a 24" but I didn't think the newer Dell's would have colorshifting.

Are there any 24" screens that are s-ips? If so are they under $600, and in a retail store (I don't buy lcd's online because I can't see them in person, and returning them is a pain, Dell being the exception)?

The color shift is due to the way crystals are arranged in PVA, you will see the same thing in a new one.

There are no inexpensive 24" S-IPS.

I am saving for 3007-HC. It is S-IPS.

man, i keep hearing about all these people having problems with there 2407-hc's

i upgraded to one from my 2005wfp and i love the thing!

there isnt anything i do not like about it. i use it for photography a lot and at the same time bought a pantone huey pro calibrator that works awesome.

i dont see any ghosting like a lot of people are reporting, and the color shifting your talking about, well if i move my head side to side, the sides of the screen do get a little washed out, but its nothing that really bothers me.

I went to the dell store and looked at the 24" they had on display and it did not have the colorshifting that my screen has (could it be the old 24" they had on display? it looked exactly like mine?). So I am assuming that something is wrong with the screen I received. So I am going to exchange the screen.

Just received my 2407HC and it's PERFECT
No of the known issues (except green banding when scrolling on default colorsettings, which is a NON issue) no dead/active pixels either.

Turned R/G/B back to 90% and everything s just plain beatifull!

Just received my 2407HC and it's PERFECT
No of the known issues (except green banding when scrolling on default colorsettings, which is a NON issue) no dead/active pixels either.

Turned R/G/B back to 90% and everything s just plain beatifull!

I setup an exchange but its going to be 2 weeks before a new monitor comes in.

Back