Xilikon Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month ---- May 2007

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member
Xilikon Interview +++++ HARD DC'er of the Month ---- May 2007
Please join me, Pocatello, in congratulating Xilikon for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for May 2007. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has over 1,100 active folders. Xilikon is currently ranked #27 on our team, and he has 2.5 million points. In August and September of 2007 he produced about 400,000 points per month. He is ranked #326 in the world.

He has no one on his threats list... no one set to overtake him:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=137187

And he is progressing up the ranks of our team. Within one month he will jump up to spot #20 on our team.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_future.php?u=137187&f=30

Basic Information:

How many F@H points do you have?

Over 2.5 million points currently and racking.:)

How about United Devices and WCG points?

I never folded for UD since it went down when I started to be active. As for WCG, I made less than 2,000 points with a old box I retired now. I plan to install the Boinc client on my girlfriend’s laptop since with F@H, it produce less than 60 ppd.

How many boxen do you have? Break this number down between borgs and your personal machines.

I’ll try… Personal computers :

Q6600 @ 3.1 GHz with SMP client (Windows Vista Business)

T7200 laptop @ stock with SMP (Ubuntu 64).

P3-1000 running Endian Firewall with the console client.

P4-1.6 GHz laptop with console client (to be moved to WCG soon).

P4 3.2 GHz with HT running standard client with advmethods (work computer). To be replaced soon with a C2D.

Borgs :

3x T7200 laptops running SMP, to be gone by the end of this month due to assignments

1x X2 3800+ @ 2.0 Ghz running 2 console clients (friend’s computer)

7x Celeron 2.4 GHz computers running console client in an alphabetization class I work part-time.

Soon to come will be a Sempron 3400+ borg at a friends. I’m currently building this and awaiting some missing parts.

I used to have 10 T7200 laptops and 8 C2D E6300 (a whole lab) borged at work, which account for the big bunch of my points.

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

I started in the DC world first with distributed.net (RC5 cracking stuff) then switched to SETI@Home briefly. Both of them isn’t really satisfactory due to the lack of humanity factor. F@H is the one who gave the lacking impact so I folded since 2004 IIRC, for team 33. I became truly involved the day the Windows SMP client is released (I’m a points whore :p)

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

As said above, I started in 2004 as my first and only team. :)

What is your average F@H points per month?

In the last few months, I average 400,000 to 500,000 points but this is now behind me unfortunately. I now expect an average of 140,000 ppm now after the loss of my lab borgs.

Did you contribute to United Devices?

No.

How about WCG?

Yes, briefly to help Hito Bahadur get some support and to test for a good alternative in the post-UD days.

Personal Information:

Name: Stephane Renaud

Hobbies:

Computers, home improvement and mountain biking

What is your [H]ard OCP username? What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

Mine is Xilikon. This came during the UT 2K1 days when I need to find a handle for some multiplayer games. The name is derived from the Silicon word with the S and c changed by their phonetically equivalents. :)

Want to link to a picture of yourself?

I prefer to avoid becoming a GenMay material. :p

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

I felt privileged to be chosen, especially when I started to become truly active only 2 to 3 months before this. This is special also because I was the one to get elected after the post-UD chaos with the big changes in the DC team so I will appreciate this honor even more.

Why do you think you were chosen?

Beside the big production I did at the time of the poll (I was the 2nd-3rd best in the PPD area of the whole team), I think my own contribution in the DC community is very beneficial since it brought a new view after some hard times. During those times, we lacked a new leader and I stepped on the plate and I think this helped me get elected. :)

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

I truly believe in health-related research to find a cure for the diseases which cause pain and sorrow in the world. This is especially true when we know there is a lot of unused cpu cycles waiting to be harvested for a good cause. Like people who give money to the charities or help their own peers with their free will, this is my own contribution to improve the world, even if it is small.

If DC’ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

It would be Cancer since this disease took a few of my cherished family members from us, like my grand-mother (liver cancer), my uncle (throat cancer) and some others… Having a cure would make the world a better place to live.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

I have one main thing in common with (cf)Eclipse on the physical side so I let everyone guess…

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

I will never stop till F@H stops. By then, I would just pick another non-profit project since I believe in avoiding letting free cpu cycles go to waste.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

As I said above with my borgs list, I borged my friends, family and work with ease. I just need to explain the purpose and how it wouldn’t affect their computing habits (I will just avoid using beta clients for places I have no easy access).

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future? Long term?

I’m seeing us slowly recover from the chaos last spring and keep the top spot (we would like to avoid the roos get the crown back)… New contests, new faces and new challenges for all of us. In the long term, I would like to see the WCG team take the top spot as well.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

As a leader, I have lots of ideas like new contests, new suggestions and new challenges. We are slowly but surely preparing the ground for a new start. :)

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Not a lot beside having the desire to see the old team members who left us to come back and be a big family again.

Did I forget to ask you anything?

Yes, you forgot to ask me if I can get your Q6600 folding under my name.

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you as well for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it. Keep on folding! Fold on For The Win! For the [H]orde!Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC’er of the month.

I would thank you and the [H]orde for the honor as well. :)

.:D

Xilikon has won this prestigious award twice!

May 2007

and

September 2008!

[H]ard is as [H]ard does!

Need new info, I'm sure that p3 has been put to pasture. :p

Hey..., who is this guy Xilikon :eek:

Only kiddin', thanks to members like Xilikon we are the #1 team on the Internet and we'll probably remain the #1 team in points accumulation for Stanford F@H. :D

Thanks for your hard work and dedication Xilikon (I'm also glad you explained your "handle") :p

Folding and WCGing for the cure

Back