4 GB killed my OC.

BillParrish

Supreme [H]ardness
Just popped in another 2 GB of Corsair (same as orignal 2 GB but newer version with different memory chips) and my OC has gone to hell in a hand basket. On the other hand the new Corsair VX 550 power supply is really sweet.

Need to do a lot of testing but 7x400 at 5 5 5 15 @ 2.1 V seems stable Crappy but stable, should be able to run 4 4 4 12, as that is stock settings, we shall see.

445 ram on auto - no go
435 ram on auto - iffy, crashed, mb set timings to 5 6 6 20 YUCK !!!!! .

So not a happy camper overall, I expected to loose some OC but to go from my sig to what it is runnning now 2.8GHz is making me sick. Well time to dust off the memtest CD and see what is what. Just wanted to bitch.

just outta curiosity, how many total sticks are you using?

4 gb total, 1 gb per stick = 4 sticks! ;) And yeah your gonna have OC issues. ESPECIALLY if the chips don't match your screwed! =( I just bought another 2 gigs a week after i bought the 1st 2 gigs for my new setup and i'm hoping its the same chips. Had to up my memory voltage a bit as i had some weird slowdown/hiccup issues in games and what not.

Unfortunate to see you try to act like a smartass, he could possibly be running 2x2GB...

Unfortunate to see you try to act like a smartass, he could possibly be running 2x2GB...

His sig, does say that he had 2x1 Gb

I've always heard issues with 4gb overclocking, 2 seems to be the sweet-spot, I may try 3 just because I want to stick to XP/32bit

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure its the damn Gigashit motherboard, test ok in pairs etc, swap em all around. + MCH gonna try +FSB now but that should not affect the memory side of the MCH.

Extra gripes, talk about "fresh" ram, the ink on the label was not dry and 1/2 the printing on one stick is now on my fingers. (and no, I was not eating potato chips :D)

I am pretty certain the new sticks have different ram chips, older pair has ProMOS , new sticks have EXACTLY the same SPD programming right down to saying the date of manuf was week 23 of 06. Now thats real sweet, you would think it would not kill someone (or better yet a scheduled program execution) to revise the SPD data to at least reflect the actual date the damn thing was made.

The Corsair forums are a Hoot, asshat there recommends running PC6400 at 667 speeds to solve 4 GB (guess I should say 4 sticks installed) issues. Bet that went over well, not. As you cannot run a divider on current Intel chipsets, run the memory slower than the FSB, I am considering kicking my dog if I have to run 7 x 333 just to get 4GB. Again I think its the motherboard more than the memory. hmm bios versions, latest is not always greatest.

Just venting more, gonna start drinking now and save the real investigation till tomorrow.

Thank God I bought 2 x 2GB sticks, and not 4 x 1GB sticks.

Little update.

MCH +.2V (need to play but that chip is not rated to take a lot of voltage iirc.
(its cooled well too).

Fails Orthos at 7 x 400 which is right on spec for memory.

This is insanely crappy engineering. I am just about to RMA the damn thing and keep RMAing it until I get a board that will work, if this was a $99 board I could not complain, but it is not.

nother update
apparently MCH voltage is not the MCH VCC supply voltage but a buss voltage which one is anyones guess.

some progress, but still crappy

Back