New Gateway 24 inch Monitor.

Alusnova

n00b
Hi all,

After trying the BenQ fp24w, Dell 24 , Westinghouse, etc monitor I came accross this monitor at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...h2400&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1188560797577

This is the Official Monitor Specs:

24 inch TN
1920x1200 (60hz)
0.27 Pixel Pitch
160/160 Viewing Angles
Ultra Color Gamut 92%
Ultra Response Time 3ms
Ultra Bright 400nit
4 port USB 2.0 Hub
HDMI (hdcp) @480i,480p,720p,1080i and 1080p
DVI (hdcp) @480i,480p,720p,1080i and 1080p
VGA
Component @480i,480p,720p,1080i and 1080p
S-video
Composite
16.7 Million Colors

And since the setup I want is VGA=Xbox 360, DVI = PC and HDMI = PS3 and I like many read too much into the TN , MVA, viewing angles, etc that other monitors were simply having problems with different issues. (overscan, 1:1 not displaying correctly with Ps3, wtc,etc) and I tried them with no avail.

Well I decided to give this TN panel a try, it is virtually the TN version of the FD2485W and to me the deciding factor will be WILL IT DISPLAY the Xbox, Ps3 correctly? and well so far I connected my ps3 (hdmi) and boom perfect 1:1, no overscan , the xbox displays full 1080p over VGA with no problem.

Tomorrow I'll test a Blue-ray movie and see how video playback is. And i'll post some pics of all three I bought this for $463 with the 12% coupon and I figure this monitor is for my use sure is 160 viewing angle but since when will i be playing/watching movies sideways? We have our HDTV for when we want to watch something as a family, so if you want a gaming lcd why worry soo much about viewing angles?

Anyways just wanted to let those few who are looking for a gaming monitor.

Did you use the 12% off w/ Rewards Zone Membership coupon? When I tried using it the cashier and manager said it was not valid for monitors. =(

I wonder how this compares to the Westy L2410NM.

<!*** edit: 1 more question. Does it have speakers for the 360 sound through HDMI? ***!>

Did you test it for inverse ghosting? How is the heat issue, any buzzing? The previous 24-inch by Gateway had these problems. I may be wrong on this but I don't think the previous 24-inch was a TN panel.

Well glad you liked your purchase.

This one is a TN panel and the FD2485W isn't and I know that but that monitor doesn't have HDMI,doesn't do 1080p correctly and have the problems you mentioned.

Now this monitor might also display the same issues but so far no problem (only been 3 hours) Now how I test for inverse ghosting?

I tried the Westy LN24 and that one is better panel but too bright and when I played with the ps3 there was constant flickering at least one the one I tried.

Oh about the coupon is YMMV, at first the cashier said the coupon doesn't work on monitors and I asked her why and she says that only works on computer accessories and I told her aren't monitors accessories and they arent listed as the excluded ones and she honored it.

Not to be mean but choose the stupidiest looking employee usually you get it to work =)

I know there were problems when you played FPS such as Half-Life 2, it would have sort of a shimmering effect but it was ghosting.

You can try this website and stare at the moving words and square. http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testsoftware/schlieren2.html

It has a ghosting test, but an inverse you would see a "color" "shadow" against the words and square. If I remember correctly, I don't use that monitor anymore. Someone might have a better idea how to test for it, this is the way I did it.

On second thought, let me link you to the page previously so you can try the other ghosting test. http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/ghosting-test.html

I am going to pick this monitor up after work and test it with my PS3 over HDMI and Xbox 360 over VGA. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea they released a new version. Did it come with the speaker bar?

Are there any reviews? I couldn't find any after doing a quick search.

I believe this thing just came out so you wont find much info on it. It's not for me because I need mine to have speakers for my 360.

Are there any other differences between the FPD2485W and FHD2400 besides panel type? It appears like Gateway released another 24" to quickly replace its older problematic model.

Many people have reported about the inverse ghosting problem with the FPD2485W. I have a FPD2185W and the picture quality is quite nice. I assume the FPD2185W doesn't have the ghosting problems of the FPD2485W, then?

*snip*

Many people have reported about the inverse ghosting problem with the FPD2485W. I have a FPD2185W and the picture quality is quite nice. I assume the FPD2185W doesn't have the ghosting problems of the FPD2485W, then?

That's correct. I own the 21-inch from Gateway, as far as I know it does not exhibit the inverse ghosting that is common on the FPD2485W.

Alright, so I got this monitor today from BestBuy. It's a huge improvement from the FPD2485W I bought last year. I also got 12% off no hassle.

I first tested my PS3 over HDMI and my Xbox 360 over VGA. Turn on the 1:1 and turn off the Overscan options on both inputs to get a properly scaled image. Also, NO TEARING with 1:1 at 1080p.

The blacks on the Xbox were much nicer than those on my Westinghouse LVM-37W3. Also, DVI looks much nicer.

There are some drawbacks . First, I have two dead pixels that are white. Second, the viewing angles are severely restrictive.

Other points. The monitor includes a VGA and DVI cable. Also, the screen is glossy.

Also, I did those ghosting tests posted above and did not notice ghosting nor shadows behind the text or box. World of Warcraft looks great. Post calibrations as you get them. I think this is a great monitor.

Does anyone think I should return this monitor because of the dead pixels?

Sorry to hear about the dead pixels, but that is always a risk with LCD panels, to a greater or lesser degree. I would try to return the monitor and see if they will accept it. Worse comes to worst, they'll refuse and you'll have to make do, so there's nothing additional to lose by trying. You never know and might luck out.

The glossy screen is a big positive for me. I prefer glossy screens for the added depth. Don't know what to say about the viewing angles until I see it in person myself. Very glad to hear about the lack of inverse ghosting that plagued this model's predecessor. Gateway probably released this monitor to replace the FPD2485W, and a good idea IMO.

Sorry to hear about the dead pixels, but that is always a risk with LCD panels, to a greater or lesser degree. I would try to return the monitor and see if they will accept it. Worse comes to worst, they'll refuse and you'll have to make do, so there's nothing additional to lose by trying. You never know and might luck out.

The glossy screen is a big positive for me. I prefer glossy screens for the added depth. Don't know what to say about the viewing angles until I see it in person myself. Very glad to hear about the lack of inverse ghosting that plagued this model's predecessor. Gateway probably released this monitor to replace the FPD2485W, and a good idea IMO.
I agree that the glossy screen is a plus. It makes the images look smoother and provides better blacks in my opinion. I may return it, but the store only had one other one. I could probably get permission to open it in the store after the exchange is made.

I agree that the glossy screen is a plus. It makes the images look smoother and provides better blacks in my opinion. I may return it, but the store only had one other one. I could probably get permission to open it in the store after the exchange is made.
BTW, do you think you can post a few pics, or are you going to repack it right away?

Is the FHD2400 on Gateway's site yet? I tried to find it and unless I totally missed the display, it wasn't there. I only saw the older FPD2485W model. :confused:

IMG_3219.jpg

PS3 Images
IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

Xbox 360 Images
IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

DVI Images
IMG_3241.jpg

Ghosting Tests
IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

Horizontal Banding (not nearly as noticeable as on the FPD2485W or my Westy)
This is the color gradient in Windows Vista Control Panel
IMG_3228.jpg

This is a color gradient in OneNote on Office 2007
IMG_3221.jpg

I also noticed that the Standard, Intermediate, and Extended black levels on the Xbox 360 over VGA actually makes a difference on this monitor.

Here's the BestBuy 12% off coupon. It expires tomorrow (it's a direct PDF link).
http://slickdeals.net/?pno=10375&lno=1&afsrc=1

The stand is height-adjustable, and it does not require that you hold down the stand with your hand to adjust the height.
The stand is also rotatable at the base. It pivots at the back point where the base meets the neck. The rotation is very smooth.
Also, the monitor can be rotated to portrait mode.

I next tested my Xbox 360 over VGA and had to turn on the 1:1. NO TEARING with 1:1 at 1080p. I switched back to PS3 and noticed there were black bars on all sides now. I switched back to VGA and noticed that Overscan was turned on. So I turned it off and switched back to HDMI and then I had perfectly scaled 1080p over HDMI, unlike I originally had. Seems the 1:1 over VGA needs to be On and the Overscan over VGA needs to be Off in order for the PS3 to be properly proportioned over HDMI. 1:1 and Overscan are not options over HDMI.

Hrm are you sure Overscan and 1:1 are not options over HDMI? i have my ps3 hooked via HDMI and both overscan and 1:1 are there in the OSD in the Video Menu.

And yeah you can buy the speaker bar which are actually very good for $40

I also did some of the ghosting tests and hardly noticed anything.

Overall this seems to be a huge improvement over their FD2485W .

Now of course is a TN panel =( but whats more important to me now everything displaying correctly or better viewing angles/colors ( I'm not a photographer or designer) ?

So far happy with this as long the other issues don't come up over-heating, buzzing noise, ghosting, etc..

Hrm are you sure Overscan and 1:1 are not options over HDMI? i have my ps3 hooked via HDMI and both overscan and 1:1 are there in the OSD in the Video Menu.

And yeah you can buy the speaker bar which are actually very good for $40
Yeah, you're right. I'm an idiot. I've had a bad migraine and just couldn't fool around with the menus that much. I've fixed my post so people don't get confused. I'm going to order the speaker bar tonight because I'm going to keep this monitor. My Westinghouse LVM-37W3 is giving me headaches lately since I've needed to start sitting closer after starting WoW. So it's off to eBay or craigslist with that monitor, which has served its purpose quite well until a monitor like this one came out. The only thing I wished this monitor had was a third digital interface. Also, if anyone has a Wii, could they test it out? I should probably test out the Xbox on component to see how the component quality is. I'll do it right now, actually.

Woah, awesome. Looks like this monitor supports 1080p over component.

Xbox 360 over component set to 1080p.
IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

The colors are more washed out over component than over VGA with the Xbox. That'll be up to personal preference. I can discern more dark details over component.

Alright, I've noticed that the Video Scaling and Overscan options for VGA, DVI, and HDMI are all controlled together. Component has a separate Video Scaling and Overscan. What I mean is that if you set 1:1 on VGA, you'll also set 1:1 on DVI and HDMI as well but not component.

Actually, I'm going to hold out buying the speaker bar. I believe Gateway is going to release a new one.

Yes, it's easy. It's not a one button deal, but it's easy. It's located in the Main Menu.

That is good news!

Another question to anyone who owns this monitor. What's your opinion on the quality of the panel? Is it confirmed that the panel is TN or does the 3ms response time denote it as such?

I don't mind if it is a TN, I had a VX924 which was TN and I liked that a lot.

That is good news!

Another question to anyone who owns this monitor. What's your opinion on the quality of the panel? Is it confirmed that the panel is TN or does the 3ms response time denote it as such?

I don't mind if it is a TN, I had a VX924 which was TN and I liked that a lot.

Definitely a TN panel. Dead pixels are white and viewing angles are restrictive. If you slouch (view from underneath), you'll get a darker image. If you have bad posture or are short, figure out ways to make sure you are eye level with the monitor or you won't get an optimal image. Horizontal viewing angles are not as dramatic as the verticle angles.

Thanks for the pics and all the information reductant!

Overall, looks like a great monitor.

Quick question. When you set the 360 on 1080p and set the image to fill up the screen, does it have the lines running through the screen? That's one of the issues that annoys me on my current 24" Gateway. Did they fix that?

Here is some info from gateway tech support. The person I talked to really knew about this monitor.

Looks like I'm going to pass on that BenQ since there will never be an overscan fix. I'll pick up this Gateway 24" and try it out.

Code:
Released: Two Days Ago

HDMI Support: 1.3

Overscan On/Off: Yes

1:1 Picture: Yes

4:3 Support: 640x480/720x480

Gateway TDX Audio Sound System for 24" (add-on): 6 Speakers

Gateway Dead Pixel Policy: 10% Or More

That TDX speaker bar information has to be incorrect. There is lots of evidence arguing toward there being a new speaker bar released and that the current one will not work on this monitor.
First, the manual depicts a speaker bar that differs physically than the current bar. The pictured latching mechanism is different from the screw mechanism of the current bar. BestBuy has the monitor pictured with a DPX speaker bar like the one used on the XHD3000. And the current speaker bar is on clearance. Also, BestBuy employees just told me that they are getting a new version of the speaker bar soon and they just sold the last one of the TDX.

I got another monitor today from BestBuy, and this one has no dead pixels. I think there are two stuck pixels but they are in the corner and not nearly as bothersome as having two white pixels on the screen. I'm really impressed with the blacks on this monitor. The VGA over Xbox 360 also has impressive blacks.

try filling the screen with the 360 on 1080. tell me how it reacts. especially if it has lines running across it.

try filling the screen with the 360 on 1080. tell me how it reacts. especially if it has lines running across it.

I don't see any lines over VGA when the screen is filled. But why would you play with the screen filled anyways?

looks nice,, im going to go bang my head aginst a wall and possibly cancle my 2407hc order

No black bars on both PS3 (HDMI) and Xbox360 (VGA) on Widescreen mode and no overscan either.

I also turned on overscan and actually can see the 5% cut to confirm overscan, so pretty happy about having the option of turning overscan off.

In Zoom mode you get black bars for both.

Watched Monster Movie and Underworld (Blueray) and pretty impressed with the blacks this monitor displays.

So let see monitor so far:

No ghosting noticed
Has overscan option
1:1 working on all imputs
Can display 1080p over component (least on the 360 it did)
Displays blacks really well
Nice color (92% gamut)
Glossy monitor

Drawbacks:

TN panel =(
160 Viewing Angle

Why can't the other non TN panels get it right?

Back