Got my Hanns-G HG281 Today!! Pics

Timbowens

[H]ard|Gawd
So, after seeing this in a thread on Monday, I took a chance and ordered it. I have a 2407 HC, which I like, but I wanted something bigger, and that had HDMI ports.

Let me say, right off the bat, if you're a monitor perfection snob (I say that in a loving way :D) then you may be disappointed in this monitor. I haven't done any ghosting testing, but I did some gamma test. Obviously, the Dell was better, but the Hanns G held its own.

Personally, I think it looks a lot crisper than the dell. But less talk and more pics, right!

Dell and Hanns G box:
DSC06291.jpg

Side by side shots:
DSC06294.jpg

DSC06293.jpg

DSC06292.jpg

Wallpaper comparison shots:
Dell:
DSC06296.jpg

Hanns:
DSC06295.jpg

All in all, so far, I am super pleased. The dell is on ebay, and I'm really thinking of buying a second one of the Hanns g's.

OK, I just played some CS:S, and I love this monitor more than my own mother. :D

That Hanns-G is interesting. I've got a Syncmaster 275T 27" ordered to replace my 2407. I wonder how the Hanns compares to the 275T?

EDIT: The Hanns is $649 w/free shipping on Newegg. I paid $979 for my 275T. Thinking...

there is a difference in the color reproduction between the two screens.

which do you think is more accurate ?

also, the pic you chose does not tell us much about your new screen's
clarity, contrast ability and black rendering powers.

Could you please test both with some default XP wallpapers.

Excellent contrast/compare set-up, BTW.

there is a difference in the color reproduction between the two screens.

which do you think is more accurate ?

also, the pic you chose does not tell us much about your new screen's
clarity, contrast ability and black rendering powers.

Could you please test both with some default XP wallpapers.

Excellent contrast/compare set-up, BTW.

Well, I'm sorta running Vista so I can't do the XP thing, and I'd love to show more. Is there a site I can go to and run something on both of them?

I can tell you already that the dell is better. The Hanns does a great job of doing deep blacks though. I had to lighten up CS because it was a tad dark.

Like I said, its a great screen for the price, but a lot of hard core monitor buffs probably wouldn't be happy with it.

But I'll run tests for ya :D

There is a site out there that does side by side comparisons of tons of things.

Refresh rate response, colors, viewing angles... etc.

you can directly compare two screens side by side.

EDIT:

Found it

http://www.behardware.com/html/cat/22/

Not sure if they have the hanns-g model, but the viewsonic 28" is the same panel iirc

Do you have access to a Xbox 360? If so how does it look? Thanks for the pic review!

Do you have access to a Xbox 360? If so how does it look? Thanks for the pic review!

Oh yes, and the pics will be coming shortly. I would have taken them already but I made the dumb move of hooking it up to my 42 inch plasma in the living room and now my wife and her friends are using it as a dvd player to catch up on every single Greys Anatomy....god its horrible. I told her she has until tomorrow and then that shits back in the computer room.

Thats actually why I wanted a monitor with HDMI. This thing has speakers in it as well so I'm all set. I'm sure they suck but if I wanted to, I could use this monitor as a tv/stand alone 360 or PS3 player.

I've done some checking and will stick with my Syncmaster 275T order. The Hanns is a great LCD for the $$, but I think the 275T fits my needs better.

Is that the exact same wallpaper on both? There seems to be some detail missing on the Hanns-G.....like it's not showing the full image.:confused:

It's because as the OP said, it's a tad dark. So the subtle darker areas aren't showing as well.

I played around with the settings, and it's better. Like I said, it's by no means perfect, but I'm totally happy.

Cheers! :cool:

I just ordered one going from a Dell 20" Wide.. Looking forward to seeing it action.

Will the Hanns maintain aspect ratio when display the 360? I hate when things are stretched out of aspect ratio.

I'm looking to upgrade from a Dell 2001fp, and right now this seems to be at the top of my list since the Dell 2407-HC has ghosting issues.

Is that the exact same wallpaper on both? There seems to be some detail missing on the Hanns-G.....like it's not showing the full image.:confused:

It's because as the OP said, it's a tad dark. So the subtle darker areas aren't showing as well.

I played around with the settings, and it's better. Like I said, it's by no means perfect, but I'm totally happy.

Cheers! :cool:
Could you post some updates? In the original comparison, the HannsG skips over the dim streamers on a dark background, but has infinitely more clarity in the bright blue "veins."

Well I just bought the Hanns·G HG-281DPB and it is due early next week. Based on the images I would say details were not lost but that it looked like the dell had problems bleeding the bright areas... IMHO the images of the Hanns were absolutely spectacular!

I game and have VX922's to compare this monitor to, which are 2ms refresh, thus much more of an apples to apples I would think.

Your comparison photos.... Had you tried calibrating the Hanns-G monitor yet?

What are your continuing impressions of the monitor, and that being said... what have you been doing with it (games, text docs, movies)...?

Did you install the Vista Driver? (im on XP)

I have had this screen for 5 hours... and I am about to return it if I can't get this balanced

Nope, I just plugged it in and adjusted it a little to how I liked it. I use it for browsing and gaming.

I thought about getting this monitor and it some what scared me. Is this a "TN" panel? If so, I went to Best Sucks and saw the other model on the floor. 27.5". I can trade in my new 24" Gateway for it, but if it's really a "TN" then I don't want to do it. "TN" sucks as far as angles go. You have to be dead on the screen to really enjoy the monitor. I saw the Hanns G at BB and I liked the size, but if the viewing angles are off, then I'll stick to the 24".

I actually moved the 24" around so I can sit more than 4' away and get a good view. I don't really want to go through that no more. Is this "28" worth the change? I have 30 days from today to turn in the Gateway.

Im conflicted...

27.5 seems like the PERFECT size... And there are some very compelling things versus my Gateway 2185w (PVA)... but there are some problems... mainly with the blacks...

How do you personally calibrate? I chose 6500k as the color temp, put monitor and then Nvidia Brightness and Contrast to 50% and went from there.... Altering Red Green and Blue through th Nvidia CP

Essentially... what are your tools and methods?

Hrmmmmm Some pics

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010015.jpg

This thing is probably going back soon.... more 27 inch monitors need to come out. It really does seem the perfect size. Stay in that resolution and it seems to really fit the curve of GPU's and Current and foreseeable games.

Intense? You're being too nice. It's very bad, You should turn that one in and try out another. Pic 2, 3 and 4. Wow. What bleeding. Is it me, or do you have a dead pixel right in the middle on pic 3?

I may get another screen, but my instinct is to disregard TN panels altogether.

And no thats not a dead pixel, it's an oddity with the picture itself.

I returned it.... sad... the size seemed ideal and it did have some things going for it.

I am indeed... a monitor snob.

aww thats where i seen it, thanks

Im having the sort of the same issue on backlight bleeding on my fhd2400.

All who are complaining about this monitor need to spend more than 5 minutes tweaking it. I have it now showing a full spectrum of colors and have eliminated the overly black image quality. For the price this monitor looks and performs better then the 30 inchers out there that are 2 to 3 times the price.

Well I just bought the Hanns·G HG-281DPB and it is due early next week. Based on the images I would say details were not lost but that it looked like the dell had problems bleeding the bright areas... IMHO the images of the Hanns were absolutely spectacular!

I game and have VX922's to compare this monitor to, which are 2ms refresh, thus much more of an apples to apples I would think.

DUDE, i have the vx922 too and im looking to upgrade too. you gotta tell me what you think of the Hanns compared to the vx922. things like ghosting and input lag obviously, im a twitch gamer (tribes :)) and need a fast monitor, as good as the vx922 or better.

Thanks for the review (kind of, lol)! I've been looking at this monitor for a while and thinking that it may be for me.

I'm considering it because:

1) I can go DVI to HDMI so I'm having no big issues with no DVI. Least I think that will work, lol.
2) Anything is better than what I have -- Samsungy 172x 500:1 12ms
3) It's 28"
4) I don't think I would notice the huge difference between this and the 275 or 2707 because I don't photo-edit much or do anything that extremely accurate color reproduction is critical.
5) Some of us are poor and can't afford $1000 monitors so this is great for us.

Anyone agree?

Thanks for the review (kind of, lol)! I've been looking at this monitor for a while and thinking that it may be for me.

I'm considering it because:

1) I can go DVI to HDMI so I'm having no big issues with no DVI. Least I think that will work, lol.
2) Anything is better than what I have -- Samsungy 172x 500:1 12ms
3) It's 28"
4) I don't think I would notice the huge difference between this and the 275 or 2707 because I don't photo-edit much or do anything that extremely accurate color reproduction is critical.
5) Some of us are poor and can't afford $1000 monitors so this is great for us.

Anyone agree?

I agree.... I had this monitor... and man, it's pretty damn good 90% of the time. I did return it though. I'm gonna wait it out for the LED family with PVA or SIPS in a 28in range... That could be a very long while though.

I agree.... I had this monitor... and man, it's pretty damn good 90% of the time. I did return it though. I'm gonna wait it out for the LED family with PVA or SIPS in a 28in range... That could be a very long while though.

The other %10 of the time? I noticed the backlight bleed on that thing is crazy! Think that's true with all of them?

I would love to be able to get a panel with PVA or SIPS but my 17" monitor is getting smaller by the day and I think those will be way out of price range and it could take a while before we see any.

I guess my debate now is if I should sacrifice 4 inches and get a nice 24". *shrugs*

Back