Wait, what? My BenQ FP241WZ is working fine now?

Ok so my BenQ FP241WZ can't display the 1920x1080p resolution for my Xbox 360 using the VGA port. I also know that it can't properly display 1080p with the PS3 using the HDMI port. This weekend my Xbox 360 (that lacks an HDMI port) died on me so I went out and bought replacement Xbox 360. This replacement unit does have an HDMI port. I hooked it up to my BenQ through HDMI and to my surprise it seems to run 1080p perfectly well. Here are some pictures for reference:

Old pic of bugged 1080p via VGA:
IMG_1282.jpg

New pics of seemingly perfect 1080p via HDMI:
IMG_1425.jpg

Can someone please confirm that the above new pics reflect a perfect 1080p image? Thanks guys, and I hope this thread helps you guys out.

You checked the XBox to confirm that it's 1080p and not 1080i or 720p?
Yes. I checked both the Xbox 360 and the monitor. They're both running at 1080p.

Edit: Actually, both the 360 and the monitor state that they're running at 1920x1080, although I don't know if that means 1080i or 1080p. I can tell you, however, that the resolution setting for the Xbox 360 game The Orange Box does explicitly state that the game is running at 1920x1080p.

Does the Halo 3 edition XBOX 360 has a HDMI port? I thought only the XBOX360 Elite edition has the HDMI port?

If the new XBOX360 can display proper 1920x1080p via HDMI on FP241WZ, then previously it was the fault of XBOX360 and not the monitor's inability to display properly?

You are using 1:1 pixel mapping option right?

EDIT: Also is this Halo 3 edition XBOX360 console using the new Falcon chipset?

P.S. Your front left and right speakers are too close together.

Does the Halo 3 edition XBOX 360 has a HDMI port? I thought only the XBOX360 Elite edition has the HDMI port?

If the new XBOX360 can display proper 1920x1080p via HDMI on FP241WZ, then previously it was the fault of XBOX360 and not the monitor's inability to display properly?

You are using 1:1 pixel mapping option right?

EDIT: Also is this Halo 3 edition XBOX360 console using the new Falcon chipset?

P.S. Your front left and right speakers are too close together.

Hi,

Ok, here's the deal: This new unit is the Halo edition 360. It does have an HDMI port. In fact,all newly manufactured 360s have HDMI ports, not just the Elite units. Initially,Microsoft was only shipping HDMI ports on Elites, but just recently they made HDMI ports standard on all 360 units, including core units.

Again , this 360 unit seems to run 1080p perfectly well via HDMI. I don't know if that means that the problem then was originally with my old 360 unit or with the monitor itself. I can tell you, however, that I did test a ps3 via HDMI on this monitor, and it still displayed an improper resolution when 1080p was the selected resolution. Which makes me wonder why it's now properly displaying 1080p via HDMI with my new Xbox 360 unit.

And yes, this unit does indeed have the new Falcon chipset.:)

So maybe the problem with overscan on the FP241's was/is due to the PS3 afterall....interesting.

Can anyone else confirm?

Hi,

Ok, here's the deal: This new unit is the Halo edition 360. It does have an HDMI port. In fact,all newly manufactured 360s have HDMI ports, not just the Elite units. Initially,Microsoft was only shipping HDMI ports on Elites, but just recently they made HDMI ports standard on all 360 units, including core units.

Again , this 360 unit seems to run 1080p perfectly well via HDMI. I don't know if that means that the problem then was originally with my old 360 unit or with the monitor itself. I can tell you, however, that I did test a ps3 via HDMI on this monitor, and it still displayed an improper resolution when 1080p was the selected resolution. Which makes me wonder why it's now properly displaying 1080p via HDMI with my new Xbox 360 unit.

And yes, this unit does indeed have the new Falcon chipset.:)

I heard even with this new Falcon CPU/GPU chipset + new heatsink, the new XBOX360 can also die on red eye of death due to overheating.

Does your FP241WZ have the overscan option firmware?

I heard even with this new Falcon CPU/GPU chipset + new heatsink, the new XBOX360 can also die on red eye of death due to overheating.

Does your FP241WZ have the overscan option firmware?
Hi,

Yes, reports are that Falcon chipsets don't necessarily guarantee 100% reliability. In fact there are rumors circulating that Microsoft has already begun developing newer chipsets to further combat reliability issues like overheating. The rumored chipset is being dubbed Jasper. Here are a few links for reference.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180687.html
http://gear.ign.com/articles/826/826652p1.html
http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_7128840

And to get more on topic, I don't believe my monitor has the overscan fix. It has a manufactured date of Jan. '07. I bought it back in March I believe.

So maybe the problem with overscan on the FP241's was/is due to the PS3 afterall....interesting.

Can anyone else confirm?

That's what I'm starting to suspect as well. I borrowed my friend's PS3 and I tested it on my monitor via HDMI and it definetely displayed a bugged image when 1080p was selected as the resolution of choice.

But now, when using my new Xbox 360 via HDMI, and when the selected resolution is 1080p, it seems to run 1080p perfectly well.

I'll take some more pics for reference in a minute.

Here are some new pics of my monitor properly displaying 1080p (or at least I'm presuming it's proper.) The pics are of the Xbox 360 game The ORange Box, a couple HD DVDS, and the Xbox 360 dashboard. All images are being displayed through HDMI at 1080p.

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

I suggest you should put your pictures in the official FP241W and FP241WZ threads to let people know that with new XBOX360, the HDMI problem has been resolved.

Hello, Im in Australia and thinking of buying the FP241W, and i was planing to use the 360 via VGA on the monitor. But, from what i see in your pictures it doesn't show properly. I saw somewhere that someone said that this problem was fixed for everywhere else except America and the UK or Canada, is that true?

Hello, Im in Australia and thinking of buying the FP241W, and i was planing to use the 360 via VGA on the monitor. But, from what i see in your pictures it doesn't show properly. I saw somewhere that someone said that this problem was fixed for everywhere else except America and the UK or Canada, is that true?

What do you mean his pictures don't show properly? For a 1920x1080 signal to display on a 1920x1200 monitor, the proper 1:1 pixel mapping is black bars top and bottom.

As regarding to VGA from XBOX360, there is either overscan or underscan issue still exist. Ask original poster to put up pictures to compare between HDMI input.

What do you mean his pictures don't show properly? For a 1920x1080 signal to display on a 1920x1200 monitor, the proper 1:1 pixel mapping is black bars top and bottom.

As regarding to VGA from XBOX360, there is either overscan or underscan issue still exist. Ask original poster to put up pictures to compare between HDMI input.

I know that, but when he was using VGA on his old 360, there would be black bars all around the screen, obviously that shouldn't be, as shown in the very first pic in this thread

I know that, but when he was using VGA on his old 360, there would be black bars all around the screen, obviously that shouldn't be, as shown in the very first pic in this thread

Yeah, last night, I saw he had a picture using VGA. Guess he removed that to avoid confusion. So VGA is still underscan, just like when I was using upscaling DVD player trying to display 1080p picture via HDMI - all 4 bars on all sides.

I know this is all screwed up between the PC signal and video signal. Not necessary monitor's fault. It has been going like that for years. My LCD HDTV can receive 1080i signal from HD cable box and display them properly, but not from a PC. It would just give me black picture and error. So that means video 1080i/p is not the same as PC 1080i/p. Probably due to the implementation of HDCP, just I haven't got around to test that theory.

Yeah, last night, I saw he had a picture using VGA. Guess he removed that to avoid confusion. So VGA is still underscan, just like when I was using upscaling DVD player trying to display 1080p picture via HDMI - all 4 bars on all sides.

I know this is all screwed up between the PC signal and video signal. Not necessary monitor's fault. It has been going like that for years. My LCD HDTV can receive 1080i signal from HD cable box and display them properly, but not from a PC. It would just give me black picture and error. So that means video 1080i/p is not the same as PC 1080i/p. Probably due to the implementation of HDCP, just I haven't got around to test that theory.

Meaning, it isnt a problem with the monitor, but the xbox 360 itself? Cant be, I Use VGA on my 26" LCD TV for the xbox 360, and it works fine at its native supported res, heck, even running on my current 19" via VGA for the 360 will display it without fault

Meaning, it isnt a problem with the monitor, but the xbox 360 itself? Cant be, I Use VGA on my 26" LCD TV for the xbox 360, and it works fine at its native supported res, heck, even running on my current 19" via VGA for the 360 will display it without fault

Have you tried to send a 1920x1080p signal from your PC to FP241W via VGA?

Have you tried to send a 1920x1080p signal from your PC to FP241W via VGA?

I dont own this monitor yet, as i want to be 100% I can run everything at its correct setting before i fork out almost $1k aus for this monitor

Any more thoughts? I thought this thread would derive more enthusiasm from fans of this monitor...

Other people are discussing this topic in the official FP241W thread. I have made a link to this thread, but I suppose most people are still using the old XBOX 360 and trying to get VGA working with FP241W.

I am wondering if the new Elite has same chipset as the Halo 3 edition XBOX 360? Because, as much as I like the olive green color of Halo 3 edition and its headset and joypad, it has only 20GB hard drive. Now Elite is coming with a Holiday bundle that includes 2 games for $50 more than the Halo 3 edition.

Like I said before, you should post your findings in all FP241W, FP241WZ, and FP241VW official threads.

I have Jan 2007 built WZ, and just bought a XBOX360 Halo 3 console (August 23 built) just like the original poster. Unlike the original poster, I can't get 1920x1080 display properly 1:1 via HDMI.

DVI is working 1:1 after WIndows Live update on the XBOX360. I had to shut down and reboot XBOX360 in order for 1:1 to work properly. Otherwise, it would also show 4 black bars on the sides. For some reason, at 1920x1080 mode, FP241WZ shows "not preset mode" but info shows 1920x1080 60Hz.

Kind of weird right? Has anyone else got new XBOX360 with HDMI port and got 1920x1080p worling with older FP241W/WZ?

Does 1080p work properly with ANY monitor via the VGA cable? When i hook it up to my CRT and try to run 1080p a large portion of the picture is off the screen and no adjustment will correct it.

Back