running *nix firewall in vmware (not a test)

R

ring.of.steel

hi,

my router has pretty much completely crapped out. i would like to run a *nix distro eg ipcop in a vmware environment on my file server so i dont need new hardware

would this be ok for medium - heavy torrent use on a 6meg cable conn?

cheers

My experiance running a firewall in VMware on a dual 2.8 Ghz Xenon with 4 gig of ram was not good, and I was not even running any torrents. I am considering taking Dell up on their $730 8 core Xenon server and giving it a go again, but I am not holding my breath.

argh iv got a 1.6ghz sempron with a gig of ram

looks like new hardware for me

I've ran several firewalls in VMware. I always had latency issues, random packets not making it to the firewall, etc. I would advise against it in a production environment.

hmm thats what i was worried about, the price of electricity in the uk at the moment comes close to 40 cents (us) per kwh where i am. setting up another pc isnt practical

Which version of VMWare?

I had decent results with ESX, but not VMWare Server/Workstation

VMware? You mean a member of this forum doesn't have old hardware sitting around? :p

Really, you don't need much for an IPCop installation. It runs like a champ for me on an old PIII.

got loads of random hardware except nics grrr

just had a look, i need to buy some nics i guess

it is vmware workstation but i have esx laying around.

cheerrs

just step up to the plate and use iptables and traffic control directly. It's not difficult.

Which version of VMWare?

I had decent results with ESX, but not VMWare Server/Workstation

I had issues on Server and Workstation, both on Windows and Linux hosts. I did not try on ESX. On the server installs I tested, It was the only VM running at the time.

Back