OFFICIAL: Acer P223WAD / P241WBD Thread *Added Pictures*

ali123

Weaksauce
So I went to futureshop today and saw this monitor it looked so beautiful!! I was

comparing it to other 22" lcd's and this made them look like **** (maby it's just my eyes),

I was looking around and couldn't find any reviews on this, Seems like it was just

released, The price is sweet $300. I will be going to Fs and taking some pictures for you

guys.

It's a glossy screen here are the specs:

Monitor Type TFT CrystalBrite LCD
Analog vs Digital DVI (HDCP)
Brightness 300cd/m2
Built in TV Tuner No
Contrast Ratio 2500:1
Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050
Other Acer Crystalbrite, VESA Wall Mount
Product Dimensions 51.75(W) x 40.01(H) x 17.74(D) cm
Product Weight 5.25 kg
Response Time 2ms
Screen Size 22"

Link:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10094088&catid=#

dsc00019ix3.jpg

dsc00022ur0.jpg

dsc00024ya3.jpg

dsc00025of2.jpg

dsc00026jk8.jpg

I live in Montreal too. Interesting...looks like a good monitor. I can't wait for some review. Have you bought it?

nope, I'm going to go to futureshop in a hour and going take some pic's of it + play a dvd and see how it looks

I've been searching through this forum for a while now researching which monitor to buy, I was hoping for 20-22 inches since I hardly ever upgrade (resolution), I'm still using a CRT.

I was looking at the HP 2207 and the new Gateway HD2200, but apparently no one caries this 22 incher in the States yet. Have you had a chance to compare this monitor to the ones I mentioned?

How about the stand... height adjustment or pivot?
If it has height adjustment I think I might have to wait for this monitor to be reviewed or carried before I make a purchase.

BTW thanks for the pics!

you're welcome! I don't think they sell gateway's but the text on this monitor looked much sharper than the HP and the blacks we're impressive, I didn't try to move it around so I don't know if it has height adjustment, The Lame screensaver (which is practically all black) is what caught my eyes lol!

Cool looking monitor . Not sure I could put up with any glare from the glossy screen even though they do have a tendecy to look reallly nice .

BTW, the 24" version of this goes onsale @ CC this sunday for $400 AMIR . (Item # P241WBD)

well as long as the glossy screen is not on a laptop or in you're living room it'll actually be better than normal screens

I owned the Acer P241W (same monitor as pictured above, but 24").

Here's a picture:
http://i21.tinypic.com/27xmrfs.jpg

Everything was great on it, except some backlight issues.

The top half of the screen is notably darker than the bottom. Also the sides and corners are greyer than the rest of the screen, due to viewing angle problems.
The backlight issues actually make it difficult to tell what color you are actually seeing on your screen. For example, websites using "off-color" backgrounds: Greys, sky blues, dingy greens, etc (HardForum for example uses a light grey), the color would literally change from the bottom to the top. In PhotoShop I couldn't tell which color was which.

A sky blue at the bottom would be a dark blue at the top.
At some points I thought I was seeing two different colors (a horizontal blue gradient), but they were actually the same shades.

It's a TN panel, 2 ms, 3000:1.
Everything else was great about it. But the serious vertical brightness issues actually made me return the monitor and invest in a 24" with a better panel type.

If backlight inconsistencies don't bother you, or you aren't really picky about your display, it's a great investment.
But if you're serious about your display and/or very picky, I'd advise you to try the monitor first before you buy it! And I mean thoroughly examine the picture quality. It might not be so bad for you, or maybe my monitor had backlight problems?

[edit]
I bought the P241W from Circuit City two weeks ago for $449.
I've since returned it.

Also I didn't notice a glossy screen on it.

I guess glossy screens bring out some primitive instinct in us from way back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and glossy CRT screens were all we had.

I don't get it...I hate reflections...it gives me headaches.

I have a couple of questions about the P241WBD.

1. Has anyone done an input lag test on this? If I buy this it will be mostly for gaming.

2. Has anyone used this with Xbox 360 or PS3? Is there 1 to 1 pixel mapping? Are there any weird artifacts or hdcp "handshaking" issues?

I was at CC today and I can confirm the 24" isn't glossy. There was very little reflection, unlike the pictures of the 22". Also please include any other pros & cons about this monitor. There is very little information available right now so anything would be helpful. Thanks.

I 2nd ChadVader's questions. I actually started a thread about the 24" before this thread was put up on the 22" but this thread seems to be getting more action.
My thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1232821

ChadVader did you check to see if it actually has both DVI and HDMI?

I guess the 243 is the glossy 24" and the 241 is the matte. http://global.acer.com/PRODUCTS/monitor/P_series.htm
If you click on the model #'s a little picture pops open in another window the 243's picture is shown to look glossy.

http://it-online.co.za/content/view/151366/100/
"Acer P243 24-inch model also features an HDMI interface for high definition imaging & audiovisual signals"

I would be interested in impressions of this monitor if anyone has them this week-still in the market myself.

im really interested in this monitor as well. i might go pick it up this week before the sale ends..

I bought the 24" for $360 after using the 10% AAA coupon ( can buy at ebay for $1) I'm going to see if it scales the PS3 and 360 properly and if it has 1:1 / overscan options.

After reading the box (haven't opened it yet stupid 15% fee) it shows as a 16:10 ratio only monitor =(. This usually means like many other monitors it will have some overscan issues.

That's why I've been waiting for the W241D at least on paper it says it will support all aspect ratios 16:10, 16:9 and 4:3 and 1:1 pixel mapping and the best part is a S-PVA panel but can't seem to find when it actually will be on sale.

Whoa there is a 15% restocking on monitors at CC? Is it the same at BB? Thats stupid.

did any1 get this monitor, im still deciding whether to get it or not. cant find any reviews of it...

Alusnova as long as the monitor you are returning is "defective" you will not get charged the restocking fee. Now do us all a favor and crack open that box!

Just called CC and they will charge you 15% even if defective and you try to return it. =(

They won't charge you if you exchange.

Damn I'm waiting for the W241D for my main usage, so far happy with Gateway FHD2400 for my son's computer (have 5 days left for return) but paid $500 , if this Acer($360) performs the same as the Gateway then I'll stay with the Gateway for $140 cheaper. Descicions, descicons!

I saw this at cicuit city a few months ago and was really surprised at the contrast advertisement. So i came home and searched and searched but couldent find any review anywhere.

Well I am down to either this monitor for 360 with coupon or the Hanns-G 28 at Best Buy for 540 with coupon.

Well I took in my MacBook to a Circuit City and hooked it up to the p241 they had on display via hdmi to see if there were any scaling options in the menu and there were none. It looked very nice at 1920x1200 but when I changed the resolution on my MacBook to 1920x1080 it stretched the image and made it look pretty bad. Pretty disappointing.

Well i just purchased the P241W yesterday at Circuit City. For $400 and the specs it has. This monitor is an extreme bang for the buck. And it looks freaking great. Playing the Orange Box in its Full 1080p Glory. ;)

So i finally decided to open it and try it on my 360, PS3 and like the above poster this monitor has no scaling option whatsoever, no 1:1, overscan on/off, viweing angles are horrible (worse than my FHD2400),picture quality was poor (Blu-ray) this thing is pretty basic for $400.

Now something interesting Acer bought Gateway but I'm sure the FHD2400 was already in production before the merger (just happened) took place.

Returned it no fee charged =). I'm done with Acer.

Well i just purchased the P241W yesterday at Circuit City. For $400 and the specs it has. This monitor is an extreme bang for the buck. And it looks freaking great. Playing the Orange Box in its Full 1080p Glory. ;)

Can you tell me if this monitor has height adjustment? I just need another 24", something not too fancy, for a secondary work monitor. All the window swapping are killing me :p

Can you tell me if this monitor has height adjustment? I just need another 24", something not too fancy, for a secondary work monitor. All the window swapping are killing me
No height adjustment.

im bringing this thread back, i just picked up this monitor, great deal on CL
anyhow i wantyed to kno what kind of benifit would i see if i purchased a dvi-d to hdmi cable?

i just got a new desk to go with the new monitor and i need a longer cable.
i was using the supplied dvi-d cable and works great but im not sure if i should get a
dvi-hdmi 6ft or a dvi-dvi 6ft

Hi all..

I was wondering if anybody had opinions or experiences with the P223WAD that haven't been shared in this thread yet.. I'm thinking about picking up a used, like new, one for about $200.

Wanted to comment on the 15% restocking fee from CC. I returned my T220 to them and they "Tried" to charge me the 15% Restocking fee, well I raised a fuss about it and was like maybe thats the reason 20+ of your stores are going out of business because one can go right across the street to best buy and get better customer service than this place....low and behold they didn't charge me the 15% restocking fee.

Back