PS3> XBOX 360 DH.DVD ADDON

Arialis

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to connect the drive up to a PS3. And have the PS3 play both Blu Ray and HD DVD's?

No, the PS3 needs to have HD DVD support added to it's DVD/Blue Ray video player before that can happen. It would be the same way with the 360 and a Blue Ray drive.

No. You can install linux on the PS3 though and have it boot with the 360 drive connected and it will recognize it. The funny part is, is that it lists the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive as the primary drive, and the PS3 Blu-ray drive as the secondary. :p But under linux, there isn't a way to natively playback the HD DVD movies, and even if there was, there wouldn't be enough power to play it back due to not being able to utilize the hardware acceleration properly.

You can however transcode the HD DVD's and play them back on the PS3. It will take some time and proper applications.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it from HDbits.

Hey Guys, I have gone through a lot of stuff to figure out how to get HD DVD and blu-ray to play on the ps3. The reason I have done this is because my computer isn't fast enough to play the movies and also its not hooked up to my tv.

This Guide only downconverts the DD+ to DD the video is untouched. I am still working on a way to take the TRUEHD and convert it to DTS1.5 mbits

First I will start with HD DVD to Bluray conversion.

Tools Needed.
EVODemux
eac3to
HDBDSplitGUI(so you can split the movie on to DVD's if you don't have blu-ray burner)
Sonic Scenarist Blue Ray HD Edition 4.2(This is not free)
TSremux
Hexeditor
AVCHD structure you can get that here http://www.hdtvtotal.com/Downloads-index-req-getit-lid-63.html
Nero

EVODemux

1. Open your .evo file, PEVOB_1.EVO for the main movie.
2. Look on the first info page and see which video stream is 1920x1080(this is important if there is PIP)its usually Stream0
3. go the second tab and select the stream0 and audio0(which is usually the DD+) these are the only 2 that I select and I deselect all the others even subs.
4. Under options in the extensions input boxes put: "vc1", "eac3", and "sup"
5. Select an output folder and hit the demux button

You will end up with a .vc1, a .eac3 and a .sup file if you chose a subtitles file

eac3to

Now you have a vc1 and eac3 file. We must convert the eac3 to ac3 (Dolby digital)

1. Open eac3to in command (dos) prompt and go to where you installed eac3to
2. Type "eac3to.exe filename.eac3 filename.ac3" to convert the eac3 to ac3

Or instead you can get the EAC3GUI and use that.

you will need nero 7.10.xx and the Blu-ray/HD DVD plug-in for this

Sonic

Sonic Scenarist Blue Ray HD Edition 4.2

1. load up MUI Generator
2. load the Audio in to the program and select create files.(.ac3)
3. do the same for the video(.vc1)
4. start up Sonic HDMV
5. Create a New Project.
6. use the same directory for output path and Encode path
7.Under the Data Tree Tab, right click on data a go NEW->Actual Asset and bring in the to files that where created with MUI Generator.
8.Go to Stream tree tab
9. Drag the 2 files onto stream,( this will create a playlist and a clip.)
10.Click on the Scenario editor tab
11.Select First Playback then right click on it and select Set movie object.
12. do the Same for top menu.
13. Now drag the playlist onto both MO#1 this will create a nice tree structure.
14.load up Mux remote server.
15.Click on the mux button in Sonic HDMV.
16. Set a path where you want the files to mux to.(output path and ES path)
17. Select not create the disc image file.
18.start the mux.

Now you should have some crazy folders, but the only file you need is the 0000.M2TS

Now this next step is only if you want to split the files to play on dvds so you have to split them.

HDBDSplitGUI

Pretty Easy load up the 0000.M2TS into the program and split it ether at 4400(4.4gigs)Single layer or 8500(8.5gigs)Dual Layer.

TSRemux

Now just load the part0001.m2ts in TSRemux, select the Video-and Audiostream, as outputformat choose "Blu-Ray". TSRemux creates now a Blu-ray structure of the 1.part of the film.

Then remux it.

now TSRemux names it files weird that that is where we have to rename stuff.

# in the Folder Stream rename the file 0001.m2ts into 00000.m2ts.
# in the folder CLIPINF rename the file 00001.clpi into 00000.clpi.
# As in file 00000.mpls there is a link pointing to file 0001.m2ts, you will have to edit this link with a hexeditor into 00000.m2ts

Now unzip the AVCHD file structure.

copy over the stream and CLIPINF Folder and the playlist folder..

Go in to nero and select DVD UDF and make sure its UDF 2.5

Burn the folder "BDMV" with the whole content out of the folder "AVCHD" on a blank DVD

So don't burn the AVCHD folder but teh next directory BDMV.

Now load it up into the PS3 and it will play.

For getting Blu-ray (AVC and MPEG to Only to play in PS3 XMB menu.)

Load up the M2TS file in TSREMUX.

Select only the Video stream and Dolby Digital Stream(the XMB will downconvert the DD to 2 stereo) this is for now but dolby digital is suppost to come in another firmware.

Select the output format as M2TS

and remux the file.

Load up HDBDSplitGUI

and split the files at 3900. 3.9gigs(reason behind this if for external drives can only be formated at fat32 for now and fat32 has a 4 gig limit)

now copy over the files to the ps3 and they will play with no loss in video quality.

Have fun guys.

No. You can install linux on the PS3 though and have it boot with the 360 drive connected and it will recognize it. The funny part is, is that it lists the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive as the primary drive, and the PS3 Blu-ray drive as the secondary. :p But under linux, there isn't a way to natively playback the HD DVD movies, and even if there was, there wouldn't be enough power to play it back due to not being able to utilize the hardware acceleration properly.

You can however transcode the HD DVD's and play them back on the PS3. It will take some time and proper applications.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it from HDbits.

Wow...Just buy both PS3 and 360+HDDVD then, that's a lot of work. LOL

Hey w1retap
I tried the procedure at the bottom --

Select only the Video stream and Dolby Digital Stream(the XMB will downconvert the DD to 2 stereo) this is for now but dolby digital is suppost to come in another firmware.

and remux the file.

Load up HDBDSplitGUI

and split the files at 3900. 3.9gigs(reason behind this if for external drives can only be formated at fat32 for now and fat32 has a 4 gig limit)

now copy over the files to the ps3 and they will play with no loss in video quality.

It works very nice on my external USB laptop drive, except I have a few scanlines cutoff at the bottom of the picture.

Now how do I get my multiple 4GB files to play one after the other without manually telling the PS3 to start playing them? There must be a way!

Hey w1retap
I tried the procedure at the bottom --

and remux the file.

Load up HDBDSplitGUI

It works very nice on my external USB laptop drive, except I have a few scanlines cutoff at the bottom of the picture.

Now how do I get my multiple 4GB files to play one after the other without manually telling the PS3 to start playing them? There must be a way!

I think Firmware 2.0 plays movie files consecutively...

That's very interesting. I just installed ver. 2.0 last night. I'll have to try it!

Well, I can't get them to play back sequentially. Sony did add a playlist function for a couple of things in v2.0 firmware but not for video playback. :(

Also I tried the method I mentioned above using a VC1 encoded movie but the PS3 says unsupported format :(

Can anyone get a VC1 encoded movie to play on the PS3?

Back