Gateway XHD3000 - Defect revision status

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
Description

This thread is solely for the purposes of informing all of [H] members that may be interested in this monitor but waiting for the few issues to be resolved before purchasing.
I will be constantly updating this thread with the status and the ETA of the revision as I get the information from my contact at Gateway's Advanced Tech center.

If you've read my other thread you may already know that my case has been escalated to a higher level. My original order of XHD3000 has been captured by the
Advanced Tech team for investigation. I have received a call earlier this afternoon with the status.

For the people that haven't read my other thread regarding the defect, I'll explain again.

When a light background is present on the screen, there is a light dime shaped shadow approximately 3 inches diagonal to the top right from the center.
This shadow seems very faint at first, but when certain vibration is applied to the panel (such as the attached DXP speaker on loud, or nearby subwoofer causing it)
- the light shadow starts pulsing, making it much more visible. During the pulsing, it leaves in imprint of a dime sized, flat head phillips screw making contact with the rear of the actual panel.
This effect may also be replicated with gently pressure with a cloth over your fingers placing some pressure on to the surrounding area, as per my video clip.

To view a video of this phenomenon, please click here.

I will be updating the status as I receive them to the following section below.

Current status / as of October 29th, 2007

Just received a call from advanced tech and he has informed me of the exact cause of this defect. Apparently there is a pressure point caused by the spacer between the panel and the emi shielding. This defect is only applicable to roughly the first 20 or so manufactured. All new ones sold will not exhibit this problem from what I have been told. He figures my original monitor was only like the fifth in the first production line.

I was also told that the current batch has been sold out and a new shipment is on its way. Although there will be no revision made at the moment, none of the monitors should have this defect from now on.

I will keep in contact with him throughout and will follow up with any updates.
For people that own or will own this monitor and have any issues, please let me know so I can bring it up to them.

October 24th, 2007

The defect was easily duplicated on my monitor and the team has knowledge that it is indeed a defect. They were able to duplicate the same issue on approximately 2 out of 10 monitors.
So this is a confirmation that the defect is not present on all of the XHD3000 line. Also, the monitor I had ordered initially a very early batch of the build.
And to make things a bit more complicating, they have two companies that are manufacturing the displays for them.
Which means the defect may be seen on monitors that have been manufactured by one manufacturer and not the other.

The advanced tech team hasn't yet opened up the display to further investigate the defect.
But that was early this afternoon, I'm assuming by now that they're probably studying inside the monitor to pinpoint the exact fault that may be causing this defect.

Please note:

To anyone that has already purchased this monitor and is affected by this issue. I was advised by the tech to let you guys know to call in to tech support @ gateway
and explain the issue so that your case can get documented. He has told me that once the revision is made, he will make sure all that are affected will receive a defect-free replacement.

Thanks for the heads up and for everything you've done in helping expedite a solution to this problem. :)

I too want to say nice job! Thanks!

PS Gateway owes you a free monitor for all this work ;)

Thanks for the compliments guys. But I'm just doing my duty as a member of [H] looking out for my fellow members. ^^

It will be irresponsible for a person to know there might be an issue that is not isolated, yet not let the people know about it. Very selfish imo.

But anyways, I will constantly follow up with the team at Gateway's advanced tech and will update you guys with the progress.

Thanks for the compliments guys. But I'm just doing my duty as a member of [H] looking out for my fellow members. ^^

It will be irresponsible for a person to know there might be an issue that is not isolated, yet not let the people know about it. Very selfish imo.

But anyways, I will constantly follow up with the team at Gateway's advanced tech and will update you guys with the progress.

great job enyceexdanny.

Also, it is really great to see the way Gateway is handling this. new products can always have challenges, what makes a diff, is how a company handles it. It sure looks like Gateway is a company that should be seriously looked at.

great job enyceexdanny.

Also, it is really great to see the way Gateway is handling this. new products can always have challenges, what makes a diff, is how a company handles it. It sure looks like Gateway is a company that should be seriously looked at.

Yes, definitely. Whenever I had to deal with a company such as Dell, I used to get headaches just trying to get certain things done. With Gateway, everything was pretty straight forward when it came to their tech support. Also, instead of me constantly trying to initiate contact, it was them that called me to check up on me and fill me in with the status.

It's also a plus that they don't seem to outsource their support to India. Well I'm not too sure about the consumer division, but for business it wasn't.

Neither I nor my company has ever made purchases from Gateway before. But now I definitely wouldn't mind doing business with them in the future.

I got a perfect monitor and I love it.
My friend got a defective one and sent it in to Gateway and got a new one.
Gateway is handling this amazingly well.

Wow, great news that only the first handful were affected. Thanks again enyceexdanny.

So I guess it is about time for me to go ahead and place order?

enyceexdanny, I know I might be asking too much, but any more reviews or feedback? What is your final suggestion on this monitor to be used for PC and PS3? Anyways, thanks for all the info and updates and previous feedbacks and all the other things!

Well, I was planning on having the review up over the weekend... But had some unfortunate events slap me in the face and take my lunch money. So I haven't been home all weekend.

I will try my best to get it up within a few days. =/

Also, I won't be able to give any impressions on game consoles due to the fact that I don't own consoles any more. I'm actually planning on purchasing a PS3 or a 360, but probably not until the holidays.

So the review will be purely based on PC usage and HD Cable connection.

I think it's ok for people to place the order if you've been waiting. Just let me know your impression once you receive it.
So if there are any issues, I can forward it to my contact at advanced tech center.

I purchased this Monitor on 10/19/2007 and received it on 10/25/2007.

The Defect:
When I first received it, I could see a "dark" spot on a white screen and could duplicate the OP method to getting the artifact to appear. However, the dark spot is gone but the artifact can still be duplicated if I press on the screen like the OP did.

Back Light Bleeding:
Again, when I first received it, I could see some bleed through but it doesn't seem to be there anymore, not sure if there is a "break" in period or not.

Input Lag:
I haven't noticed any Input Lag. My previous monitor was the Dell 3007 non HC model. I did notice some input lag with it.

Multiple Inputs:
I've got a PS3 hooked up through HDMI and it works out wonderfully especially because of the speaker bar.

I'll post some pics of both PC and PS3 once I get a chance.

"Noticing" seems to be a bad way to detect input lag. The Dell is an S-IPS panel, while (I think) this Gateway is a PVA or something, so technically it should be worse.

Besides, I thought the Dell 3007 (HC and non-HC) were both free of input lag, measured with a high speed camera. Maybe your eyes were confusing lag with ghosting?

"Noticing" seems to be a bad way to detect input lag. The Dell is an S-IPS panel, while (I think) this Gateway is a PVA or something, so technically it should be worse.

Besides, I thought the Dell 3007 (HC and non-HC) were both free of input lag, measured with a high speed camera. Maybe your eyes were confusing lag with ghosting?

Sorry, I was confusing lag with ghosting.

Input lag is very minor. Although I haven't fully tested it out, it's not something you'll notice - let alone hate this monitor for it.

But it's a PVA right? Cause if PVA doesn't automatically mean massive input lag then I'm going to reconsider the Samsung 305T...

It is a S-PVA panel.
And yes, S-PVA panels are better known to exhibit this phenomenon.
But that doesn't mean all S-PVA panels will, atleast to a point it'll cause concerns.
Running non-native does cause it to be more evident, but still not bad.

I'll try to get it compared to my S-ips panel soon.

But it's a PVA right? Cause if PVA doesn't automatically mean massive input lag then I'm going to reconsider the Samsung 305T...

The Samsung 305T also uses S-PVA. I've basically stopped considering samsung LCDs/PVA after i got the 244T and the massive input lag that it had actually made me scrap that LCD for a 20" 20WMGX2.

There seems to be no serious reviews concerning games on this monitor at this time or am I wrong on this point? So I will wait a while and see what happens on that, and to see if this will drop down some in price.

If things test well with this monitor this should be my crt replacements. I hope.

OMG im getting a headache!!!! I am in the process of building a new gaming machine. I just upgraded from a Viewsonic 20" to an LG 24" widescreen. I was NOT thrilled with what seemed to be a minor increase in size. the LG is a great monitor, but I decided I wanted bigger. Im now looking at 30". I can not get a clear review on this monitor or any others for a gaming application using non Sli configuration using an 8800 GT video card. At this point, I am figuring the costs will be about $1500,,, but I cant figure out what monitor would be best suited for gaming, like combat flight simulators etc. please help, thx

Look at Vega’s review on the 6th post down on this page:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1222863&page=16

OMG im getting a headache!!!! I am in the process of building a new gaming machine. I just upgraded from a Viewsonic 20" to an LG 24" widescreen. I was NOT thrilled with what seemed to be a minor increase in size. the LG is a great monitor, but I decided I wanted bigger. Im now looking at 30". I can not get a clear review on this monitor or any others for a gaming application using non Sli configuration using an 8800 GT video card. At this point, I am figuring the costs will be about $1500,,, but I cant figure out what monitor would be best suited for gaming, like combat flight simulators etc. please help, thx

no problems here,,, I bought mine at BestBuy I believe, and purchased the 5 yr warranty,,jst for that reason ,, ya never know

Back