Realistic time frame for next HIGH END video cards ??

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Don't know why both nVidia and AMD/ATI have mid range cards coming out now, where this is supposed to be the time frame of next generation products, I mean we shouldn't be seeing a 8800GT (gay name too, very confusing, should be named 8900GT or something), and the HD3870XT, another silly name, just look at that name all those numbers and letters mean what :rolleyes:

Anyways I am just shocked that November is not bringing us a 9800GTX, and R700, who cares about these low levels cards coming out, with games like Crysis, UT-3, and several games we need more power to play 2560x1600rez. So when realistically can we expect a true HIGH END next generation part from both companies ??

It is simply because ATI hasn't been pushing nvidia hard enough to get a G90 out. Furthermore, it is probably b/c of the crazy amount of games coming out next month forcing nvidia and ati to come out with better AFFORDABLE offerings. Mainstream cards account for a huge majority of sales for both companies, high end is mainly to give a halo effect on its lower brothers (and for enthusiasts).

And of course, R700 and the G90 are probably not ready for prime time.

8800GT is only coming out because Ati seems to realize they can't win the High-end right now, and are putting nice mid-highs out for a decent price, so that was an easy counter I suppose. Next year they'll both have something high-end out, and I would imagine Ati won't fuck it up this time.

I'm betting on NV releasing a new high end part in the new few months. Its the spendy time of the season and when they have a mid-range thats close to performance as the high end, people won't want to spend the extra. Plus, they are nearing the 1 year time frame that they were trying to release new cards off.

Furthermore, it is probably b/c of the crazy amount of games coming out next month forcing nvidia and ati to come out with better AFFORDABLE offerings. Mainstream cards account for a huge majority of sales for both companies, high end is mainly to give a halo effect on its lower brothers (and for enthusiasts).

And of course, R700 and the G90 are probably not ready for prime time.

hit the nail on the head IMO.

not entnirely sure on this but i'd have to guess around feb ~ march for new high end

I'm betting on NV releasing a new high end part in the new few months. Its the spendy time of the season and when they have a mid-range thats close to performance as the high end, people won't want to spend the extra. Plus, they are nearing the 1 year time frame that they were trying to release new cards off.

I agree, I thought I read numerous times that nVidia was going to stick to a one year product sycle, with refreshes every six months. Well the 8800GTX is old as heck and still hasn't really come down in price one year later.

Now comes the 8800GT (again gay name = very confusing, doesn't sound like a new product) But this new 8800GT will be close to GTX benchmark's and cost half the freaking price, so where is the high end version of the 8800GT batch ??

So is nVidia NOT staying on schedule ??

What about AMD/ATI I have read for awhile now that the R700 will be god like, but also it was never meant for release until like Spring 08'

Shack: Do you have any insight to how well the upcoming range of cards will support Crysis ?

Cevat Yerli: Very, very well. Stay tuned for more on this. In mid November you will see the new NVidia cards. They are a blast for Crysis and really, really very good deals.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=639

it's not a matter of ati not pushing, you want to have a diverse line that is superior AND cost effective. If the 8800GT rumors are true, then you get a midrange card that OEM's will eat up, the middle ground people will have something more than worth their funds and this will if the cost effective part is correct, will rake in a lot of cash.

The GTX and Ultra are only for bragging rights, they yield the least amount of profit due to their low sales volume. If you've got a reasonably priced mid range card that decimates the competions best card while being half the price and netting you a significant profit, you are in the win column.

I agree, the 8800GT right now is a crzy cool bargain, a VideoCard that is close to the benchmarks of a 8800GTX, but half the freaking price, runs cooler/quieter and single slot, for the price is the best deal around.

And it is smart for nVidia not to have a 9800GTX yet so the 8800GT looks even more impressive, otherwise if the 9800GTX was out too the 8800GT would seem like a snail and not that great even for the price

Shack: Do you have any insight to how well the upcoming range of cards will support Crysis ?

Cevat Yerli: Very, very well. Stay tuned for more on this. In mid November you will see the new NVidia cards. They are a blast for Crysis and really, really very good deals.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=639

the realy realy good deals part should give it away. he is NOT talking about a high end card. and saying they are BLAST for crysis doesnt mean anything. he is being a sales person, nothing more.

Back