AVerTV Combo PCI-E x1 TV Tuner = QAM in WMC!

Sako

n00b
There was a recent post on thegreenbutton.com forums with information on how to get QAM channels in Windows Media Center with the AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCI-E x1 TV Tuner.
There are beta drivers and a small application to get it working. I just tried it and I am getting 16 QAM channels in Media Center. The one problem is that these beta drivers are causing Media Center to crash (only when viewing QAM channels) after about 15 minutes. Others may have more luck then I am having. It looks like the HDHomeRun will not be the only piece of hardware for QAM in Media Center anymore.

Link to the post with beta drivers: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/7/217353/ShowThread.aspx

Hell yea! This is awesome, finally I can use my hd tuner to its fullest. Although my cable company (Charter) sees fit to only allow me access to my locals in clear qam its better than nothing. Plus I don't have to use Avermedia's crappy tuner software which has no guide and a crap interface, Vista Media Center is so much better.

After some more tweaking I am getting 16 QAM channels in Vista Media Center!

Lucky dude. I hope they come out with beta drivers like those for my 2 Avermedia A180s. I get a bunch of clear qam channels here in the dallas area through time warner including TNT HD, Discovery HD, and all of the Local HD's. This would prevent me from having to adjust my damn antenna so often.

Are there any problems using this AverTV card in a 680i SLI mobo and a pair of 8800 GTX's in SLI mode?

Curious, since I think I read something about the 2 vid cards using all the PCIe pipes, effectively disabling the other PCIe slots. Don't want to buy this just to go "doh!"

I have also read that if you us both PCI-E 16x slots it disables your PCI-E 1x slot. However, if you have any other PCI-E slots greater then 1x the PCI-E 1x card should be compatible with that slot.

I finally got brave enough to try the Beta drivers for this card. Installed just fine.

Used the QAM utility to scan for channels. It exported to Media Center not only the broadcasting channels, but every single channel (used or not). It took me about an hour to go thru and delete all the unused channels.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I got 10 HD channels and 7 cable radio channels. I've been watching Illinois beat Ohio State, and everything seems to working just fine. No lockups, nothing.:cool:

The remote seems a slight bit flakey changing channels, but no biggie.

Are there any problems using this AverTV card in a 680i SLI mobo and a pair of 8800 GTX's in SLI mode?

Curious, since I think I read something about the 2 vid cards using all the PCIe pipes, effectively disabling the other PCIe slots. Don't want to buy this just to go "doh!"

According to this thread on EVGA's website that's not true: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=101602&mpage=1&key=��

Also, how do you guys like the AverMedia Card...these drivers are making me consider it over the hauppague 1800

Well, I originally bought a Hauppauge from BB to do some VCR conversions. No Vista drivers and NO plans to do so. I can't remember the model. Anyway, I started looking around for a Vista-friendly card. I found the Avermedia: Dual tuner, PCI-e, w/remote. Everything I could have wanted at a reasonable price.

Runs hot? I've had no problem, but tuners, IIRC, will run hot, TV or PC card. If you have bad ventilation, you will have a hot card.

Pix quality: looks nice to me. Analog seems a little washed out. Digital is phenominal. I have nothing else to compare it to, so take it with that in mind. Remember, I really wasn't looking for a tuner as much as a tape transfer device, but since I was looking...:D

Regarding QAM, some have had no problem with the Beta drivers, some have. The nature of the beast, ya know! Mine worked fine. Obviously, you are at the mercy of the cable company for the number of channels you will be able to get. Or simply try the OTA channels first, if you are a good market area.

Simply put, ymmv.

There are new .21 beta build drivers located on the aver ftp site. I have had a lot more luck with these drivers. Anyone using Media Center and the M870 should check it out! Can't knock Clear QAM in Media Center.

Back