Sapphire wants to replace my X1900XT with a X1950Pro

Ladyhawk

Limp Gawd
My X1900XT kind of fell apart on me (memory issues, I think) and Sapphire wants to replace it with a X1950 Pro because the X1900XT isn't in stock.

Both cards have 512 MB of DDR3, but the clock speeds of the GPU and memory are lower on the X1950Pro. Also, there is no VIVO and there are fewer pipelines (I think). I haven't used VIVO on the other card, but I havethought about it. (Yes, I know that's weird.)

Sapphire had this to say:

Yes this X1950PRO is a slower spec then your X1900XT but this is a newer generation graphics card with newer technology embedded into the chipset. But if you think this is not a fair replacement, that is fine, we will continue locate the same model for replacement from our manufacture.

I'm not sure what to make of that. :confused:

Meanwhile I am running an old PCI Voodoo3 which totally sucks. It hates my hardware (or something) because I can't even play older games using it. I'm not interested in fighting with it because this is a temporary situation, but perhaps more permanent than I anticipated.

What do you think?

nope, don't do it, the 1900xt is faster 16pip / 48 shader vs 12pipe / 36 shader with the same memory on the same archecture, tell them you want either a 1950xt 512m or a 1950xtx or a 2900pro / xt :p

there is nothing new about the 1950 over the 1900, the only imprvement was the cooler on the xtx and DDR4 Memory, its gone from R580 to R580+,

either 1900XT or Better, don't let them shank u!

Sapphire tech support has always been mediocre. It's a clear downgrade. If they don't have any X1900XTs in stock since it's so old, an X1950XT 512M is in the same ballpark and it's currently in stock. This is pretty much the bare minimum that would be fair in exchange since they seem to be lowballing the offer.

agree with above poster. Down't downgrade because they can't locate an RMA replacement the same as the one you sent them. Offer to take a higher one, but not a lower one with less features. Shame on Sapphire for even considering it. BFG, eVGA, and XFX all have confirmed warranty replacement issues...if they don't have your card...you get a BETTER one, they don't try and screw you.

It's interesting that although Sapphire is the largest ATI graphics partner, that they only do 1 year warranties, and try to pull this crap. I'm glad I've never had to RMA a Sapphire card after hearing this...and I have owned many.

It's interesting that although Sapphire is the largest ATI graphics partner, that they only do 1 year warranties, and try to pull this crap. I'm glad I've never had to RMA a Sapphire card after hearing this...and I have owned many.

I am happy because newegg does 1 year for replacements and they don't give you BS like giving you a lesser card. When my 2x512 stick of OCZ VX memory burnt out, OCZ didn't have any more left, so they gave me 2x1gb platinum memory instead, that was more than fair in my mind. Sapphire is just screwing you, don't take it, tell them whats good with that x1950xt or better.

Thanks, folks. I was very skeptical. After looking at benchmarks, I was a tad angry. I decided being surly in my e-mail wouldn't help, though. I simply refused their offer.

I think I'll probably go nVidia next time. Sigh.

I wonder how long they'll make me wait?

Thanks, folks. I was very skeptical. After looking at benchmarks, I was a tad angry. I decided being surly in my e-mail wouldn't help, though. I simply refused their offer.

Its sapphire, they prob could give a rats ass about customer support, and its the best ATI AIB partner.....

This is why nvidia has a definitive edge, their top 3 AIBs fighting it out for both the highest overclocked cards, and the best warranty. All three have lifetime replacement coverage, two of them let you overclock and use 3rd party heatsinks, one of them lets you transfer their warranty to someone else. And theirs sapphire with 1 one year of being raped in the ass, o yeah I learned my lesson with this x1950pro.

Its sapphire, they prob could give a rats ass about customer support, and its the best ATI AIB partner.....

This is why nvidia has a definitive edge, their top 3 AIBs fighting it out for both the highest overclocked cards, and the best warranty. All three have lifetime replacement coverage, two of them let you overclock and use 3rd party heatsinks, one of them lets you transfer their warranty to someone else. And theirs sapphire with 1 one year of being raped in the ass, o yeah I learned my lesson with this x1950pro.

Damn, that sucks. :(

It makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and get an nVidia card now and put together a system to sell with the x1900xt...if it ever gets here.

The problem is I would need a buyer ahead of time because I'm strapped for cash. I do have a dual-core Athlon system, but I would need a more powerful PSU and ideally, it needs more system memory, too...preferrably a dual-channel kit.

God, I hate this Voodoo3. It was the last PCI card lying around, so I was stuck with it. Back when Voodoo was in fashion I had dual Voodoo 2's in SLI. Never had the Voodoo3. I'm not even sure where this thing came from. :) That's the problem when your house is full of computer parts.

Sapphire tech support has always been mediocre. It's a clear downgrade. If they don't have any X1900XTs in stock since it's so old, an X1950XT 512M is in the same ballpark and it's currently in stock. This is pretty much the bare minimum that would be fair in exchange since they seem to be lowballing the offer.

QTF !!!

They should offer you an X1950XT, X1950XTX or atleast cedit to a HD2900 series card. The X1900XT was a $300+ card when it came out. The X1950PRO never topped $200 new.
They're just brushing you off and hoping you're not tech savy and don't know the difference.

QTF !!!

They should offer you an X1950XT, X1950XTX or atleast cedit to a HD2900 series card. The X1900XT was a $300+ card when it came out. The X1950PRO never topped $200 new.
They're just brushing you off and hoping you're not tech savy and don't know the difference.

Little do they know I have access to Hard|Forum. ;)

(And specifications and benchmarks.)

I think they were going for the "1950 is a bigger number than 1900 and 'pro' sounds good" reaction.

Just reply to them that you won't accept the X1950Pro as a replacement but you would consider if they want to send you an X1950XT 512MB (or 256MB if you don't mind)

QTF !!!

Hmmm. You know, the more I think about this, the more I think you're right. I think they deliberately tried something similar to the old "bait and switch." I'm wondering if I should report this attempt to the Better Business Bureau. Of course, I'd better wait until I get a decent, working video card back. :(

Wow thats bad on Sapphire's part. I would be one pissed off customer if they tried to play dumb with me. Hope you get a 1950XT 512MB or XTX.
Luckily I wont have to deal with Sapphire since I voided my X1900XT warranty by replacing the stock HSF lol

It was over $500 believe it or not.

Holy crap, Batman !!!!

Well, I knew it was over $300. Fortunately, I bought 2- X1900XTX's from Microcenter for $199 EACH. This was a while after the X1950's came out, and the X1900's were being "closed out".

i was going to buy a saphire 1950 pro tomorrow. after reading this thread i said f*ck it. gona go with nvidia.

i was going to buy a saphire 1950 pro tomorrow. after reading this thread i said f*ck it. gona go with nvidia.

i think that's irrelevant, saphire isn't the only ATi's out there, if you want 1950pro, go for another whatever brand except saphire.

nösferatu;1031585150 said:
i think that's irrelevant, sapphire isn't the only ATi's out there, if you want 1950pro, go for another whatever brand except sapphire.

HIS may be the only brand IMO that is better, but all the others are just the same or worse, sapphire isn't alone here.

keep going with original instincts hardc0re, maybe sapphire will learn w/o your business.

well, Sapphire doesnt represent ATI.....just like EVGA wouldnt represent Nvidia, so saying you might move to Nvidia because Sapphire missed the mark is not a apples to apples thing....

however i can unequivocally say that EVGA would have automatically offered to replace your card with a newer equal or faster card right off the bat, they would not have tried to offer you a lower spec'd card than what you have...many people who sent in older GF6 series cards have been upgraded to GF7 or higher cards....in rare cases, they dont mind upgrading you for "free"

i agree with the others saying you should tell them you want a card equal r higher spec'd, not lower...they should have never even offered that as a solution...thats poor business

well, Sapphire doesnt represent ATI.....just like EVGA wouldnt represent Nvidia, so saying you might move to Nvidia because Sapphire missed the mark is not a apples to apples thing....

however i can unequivocally say that EVGA would have automatically offered to replace your card with a newer equal or faster card right off the bat, they would not have tried to offer you a lower spec'd card than what you have...many people who sent in older GF6 series cards have been upgraded to GF7 or higher cards....in rare cases, they dont mind upgrading you for "free"

i agree with the others saying you should tell them you want a card equal r higher spec'd, not lower...they should have never even offered that as a solution...thats poor business

Well Evga, BFG and XFX all offer lifetime warranty and have good customer support. XFX has a rep here, and Evga has a forum mod (RussianHAXOR), so its easy to get in touch with people. I'm pretty sure Kyle knows the BFG guys as well so another "in".

So you have 3 excellent companies that only do NV cards, which is why I think he went with the blanket "going with nvidia".

Well Evga, BFG and XFX all offer lifetime warranty and have good customer support. XFX has a rep here, and Evga has a forum mod (RussianHAXOR), so its easy to get in touch with people. I'm pretty sure Kyle knows the BFG guys as well so another "in".

So you have 3 excellent companies that only do NV cards, which is why I think he went with the blanket "going with nvidia".

yeah, i was a forum mod at EVGA at one time....might still be, havent logged into their forums in a month of sundays...LOL...

just checked...still have moderation tools, need to get active over there again!!

Actually, Sapphire represents ATi more than EVGA represents nvidia in this sense. 99% of all "built by ati cards" are manufactured by sapphire (including ones boxed as ATi branded) , When ati dropped their warranty to 1 year, so did sapphire, (their are other manufacturers for ati with 2-3 year warranties however.

EVGA, BFG and the rest get all their cards built for them (by contract of nvidia obviously) by flextronics, foxconn or asus (they all have built cards for nvidia), when then are boxed and shipped to AIBs who add heatsink shroud picture, box, manual and anything thats in the box, and provide warranty and text support.

Sapphire makes the cards (my x1950pro was poorly designed with a digital pwm), and does everything else for its brand of cards, I bought the packaging and heatsink was pretty bitchin on my card, their support forum is hardcore shoddy. They tried telling me my psu couldn't handle my video card, that was so funny, bunch of assholes in their forums.

I believe EVGA and or XFX allow for advanced RMA's and concurrent shipping with step ups, you wont see sapphire doing that, lets not forget a lifetime warranty on overclocked cards.

I really can't rip sapphire hard enough, they were supposedly to be the best vendor for ATi and they have just gone downhill.

I believe EVGA and or XFX allow for advanced RMA's and concurrent shipping with step ups, you wont see sapphire doing that, lets not forget a lifetime warranty on overclocked cards.

Prior to the RMA, I informed the company, Althon Micro (techs for Sapphire), that the computer in question was my primary computer and I needed it for productivity and business. I inquired about cross-shipping, but they wouldn't go for that. Maybe they think I'm desperate enough to accept anything they offer?

Now I have no idea when I will get a replacement. This really, really sucks. I have new games I can't play (Orange Box) and apps I can't use because the PCI card I have is very, very old. Yes, I can live without gaming, but the point is that I paid a lot of money for that card when I bought it about a year ago. It actually started going FUBAR about six months ago. Due to illness, it took me a long time to get around to actually troubleshooting it. I posted this back in June. I'd been having issues for awhile when I posted it.

BTW, it has a "Made in China" sticker on it. Shoddy construction, probably. :) And they probably added EXTRA lead to make the red PCB prettier. ;)

I am not amused. I am definitely going with an nVidia company next time, probably eVGA.

man, sapphire sucks balls... The OP is getting a response from some Chinese slave worker instead of actual customer support.

I have an X1900GT that seems to be failing, artifacting all over the place. I am thinking that it is not even worth trying to RMA a sapphire card.

I tried to RMA my sapphire x800 XT PE and they kept claiming that the serial # was not theirs and would not do anything at all.

A friend had a X850XTPE agp card die.... they replaced it no questions asked. So they aren't that horrible.

Just tell them you think the 1950XT would be fine. There is barely any difference.

Or you can buy my X1900XT w/AcceleroII installed CHEAP.... since I just bought a 8800GT.

But I have gotten tons of use out of the X1900, damn nice card.

Welcome to the $459 club, makes me sick thinking how much I paid for it, NVidia has seriously changed the dynamic on price/performance now.

A friend had a X850XTPE agp card die.... they replaced it no questions asked. So they aren't that horrible.

Just tell them you think the 1950XT would be fine. There is barely any difference.

Or you can buy my X1900XT w/AcceleroII installed CHEAP.... since I just bought a 8800GT.

But I have gotten tons of use out of the X1900, damn nice card.

Welcome to the $459 club, makes me sick thinking how much I paid for it, NVidia has seriously changed the dynamic on price/performance now.

I sure as hell am eyeballing that 8800GT. I'm curious...which company's product did you buy? I would like to buy from a company with a really good reputation and an excellent return policy. I see only two 8800GTs listed on NewEgg, currently, and neither are in stock.

If eVGA or one of the other excellent companies mentioned in this thread had one available, I'd buy it now and put the Sapphire in a machine to sell...if it ever comes.

if your going ATI, go with power color products. They offer a life time warenty. Would be considered an average nvidia based AIB, but head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of ATI.

And also the X1950XT uses 1.0ns memory (as opposed to 1.1 on the X1900), so its memory clocks higher, even if its not GDDR4.

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 11:19 PM
To: 'Tech(Althonmicro)'
Subject: RE: RMA status of XXXX

Hi,

Could you please tell me the status of my RMA? How about sending a 512MB X1950XT? They are very similar in performance / features to the X1900XT.

Again, I rely on this computer for productivity and business and using a very old PCI card isn’t cutting it.

Thanks,

LH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

X1950XT is also an EOL (end of life) product, our factory continues to search and locate a replacement card for your X1900XT.

Tech

Sapphire Technology
Tech Support Center

280 Paseo Tesoro
Walnut CA 91789
Fax. 1-909-594-9771
www.sapphiretech.com

Guess who is going nVidia next time and probably going to stay away from ATi altogether from now on? Guess who won't recommend ATi to customers? Guess who is extremely pissed off at your crappy customer service?

Guess who is going nVidia next time and probably going to stay away from ATi altogether from now on? Guess who won't recommend ATi to customers? Guess who is extremely pissed off at your crappy customer service?
tell them u'll take a 2900pro :)

i'm glad I read this thread. I was about to give my money to Sapphire for a 1950pro but after reading your correspondances with their RMA dept, I have opted NOT to to deal with them at all with any current or future products. ATI is a fine company but those contractors that put together the cards are usually the problem as they never take responsibility for bad service.

...Which brings me to another idea. I wish XFX/EVGA would get in the ATI game as well...The best of both worlds (warranty/support & selection of chipsets/makers), assuming DAAMIT can get their heads out of their asses w/ upcoming releases of course.

Won't ever happen though, seeing as EVGA for example is tightly wound to NVIDIA. There is MSI, and maybe others that DO release both ATI/NVIDIA cards but their service isn't not as good as EVGA/XFX/BFG, nor do they have the liberal coverage of the top NV 3 either.

i'm glad I read this thread. I was about to give my money to Sapphire for a 1950pro but after reading your correspondances with their RMA dept, I have opted NOT to to deal with them at all with any current or future products. ATI is a fine company but those contractors that put together the cards are usually the problem as they never take responsibility for bad service.

Sorry about that, but I think you're probably better off not dealing with them. :(

...Which brings me to another idea. I wish XFX/EVGA would get in the ATI game as well...The best of both worlds (warranty/support & selection of chipsets/makers), assuming DAAMIT can get their heads out of their asses w/ upcoming releases of course.

Won't ever happen though, seeing as EVGA for example is tightly wound to NVIDIA. There is MSI, and maybe others that DO release both ATI/NVIDIA cards but their service isn't not as good as EVGA/XFX/BFG, nor do they have the liberal coverage of the top NV 3 either.

Yeah, I would like to have a viable choice.

It's interesting that in this country it usually comes to a battle between two big corporations. Apple vs. PC; Coke vs. Pepsi. Intel vs. AMD; Democrat vs. Republican; nVidia vs. ATi. Now that AMD and ATi are the same company, that brings an entirely different dynamic to the table. I think there should be room for more choice, but the system doesn't seem to lend itself to that.

Unfortunately, ATi is looking to lose a lot of business if this is how their card manufacturing companies treat customers. AMD is being totally blown out of the water by Intel at the moment, so they should be worried about customer service.

I'll probably wait until November 1st (when eVGA activates it's EAR Program, then buy the 8800 GT. I really can't afford it, but I also can't afford to be without a decent video card in my main system. :mad: Hopefully, I can put together a system to sell to make up for the cost.

At least I learned something about Sapphire and other companies affiliated with ATi. I'm glad if I helped anyone avoid a bad purchase.

I'll probably wait until November 1st (when eVGA activates it's EAR Program, then buy the 8800 GT. I really can't afford it, but I also can't afford to be without a decent video card in my main system. :mad: Hopefully, I can put together a system to sell to make up for the cost.

You do realize that was 2006 that they started EAR right? ;)

All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006

they are looking in the factory? wow.....new low...ask him to ask the janitor for help.....what a bunch of morons....

i really wish that kyle et all would expose the lack of customer service that some of this taiwan china based companies have, they shouldnt be aloud to sell over here....

a year ago i had the same problem with sapphire, it wasnt eol, but they just couldnt find a replacement on what i assume is a huge factory since they kept looking for replacement card....i was lucky enough that mwave steped up and changed my card, i am pretty sure they were looking at my purchase history...

either way i got the new card brand new in the box and sold it like that, 2 days later the gtx came out and i bought and evga one....i will never ever buy from a chinese or taiwan based company that doesnt have shop in the us and that doesnt have good support....cause they just dont care.....
good luck mate...

It all starts at the source though even ATI branded cards only carry a 1 year warranty. Thats just pathetic no video card warranty should be that low, 3 years would even be acceptable.

If the source where to offer better warranty terms and longer coverage the partners would probably eventually follow along.

My experience with ATI partner warranty services has been downright awful and everytime i get an ATI card i just cross my fingers and hope it lasts.

Hope you get this sorted out i would really push them for a 2900Pro though. Do some digging around in their warranty terms and see if you cant find any leverage to hold against the CSR until you get what you want.

It all starts at the source though even ATI branded cards only carry a 1 year warranty. Thats just pathetic no video card warranty should be that low, 3 years would even be acceptable.

Last year ATi/Sapphire warranties were 3 years, but got bumped back, they used the lame exuse that they needed more warehouse space so they were getting rid of older cards.

If the source where to offer better warranty terms and longer coverage the partners would probably eventually follow along.

My experience with ATI partner warranty services has been downright awful and everytime i get an ATI card i just cross my fingers and hope it lasts.

Hope you get this sorted out i would really push them for a 2900Pro though. Do some digging around in their warranty terms and see if you cant find any leverage to hold against the CSR until you get what you want.

Some AIBs offer lifetime warranty, and RMA through ATI rather then sapphire is pretty fast and not such a hastle

I wouldn't say Sapphire is necessarily a bad company...Just don't expect service and ease of RMA, transparency of the process (no "3rd party" outfits ala Sapphire in case of BFG/XFX/EVGA) etc as you'd likely get from the 3 NV partners I mentioned in my earlier post (not to say no, just never RMAd w/ them). As long as you have no issues, Sapphire rocks. My r9500 NP kicked ass, soft modded for ~3-4 years, until it one night burned through a PCB trace - long after the system it was attached to got replaced in favor of new/faster tech.

Back