gnewbury Interview ***** HARD DC'er of the Month — September 2007

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member

gnewbury Interview ***** HARD DC'er of the Month — September 2007

Please join me, Pocatello, in congratulating gnewbury for being selected as the [H]ard DC’er of the month for September 2007. This is quite an honor when you consider that the [H]orde has over 1,100 active folders. gnewbury is currently ranked #98 on our team, and he has just over one million points. To be exact, 1,074,090 points. In September of 2007 he produced about 40,000 points per month, and in October of 2007 he has already produced more than 50,000 points. He is ranked #1,281 in the world.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=45231

Basic Information:

How many F@H points do you have?

A little over a million.

How about United Devices and WCG points?

Zip for UD, I don't even know what WCG is.

How many boxen do you have? Break this number down between borgs and your personal machines.

I'm down to about 5 personal machines and a PS3.

When did you start folding? What kind of project or projects did you participate in?

I started in early 2001. But I just read relic's interview and he said he didn't start til 2002. Must be the mojo. I definitely remember fielding equipment to Korea and "burning them in" before I took them over. Other projects were a Seti dabble, a little of some similar folding project, and oh yeah - Number 1 in Genome@home for the [H]orde.

When did you start folding for the [H]orde?

See above.

What is your average F@H points per month?

Thanks to the PS3 I'm now back up to 40K.

Did you contribute to United Devices?

Not more than a few WU if any.

How about WCG?

I don't even know what it is.

Personal Information:

Name:
gnewbury

Getting mapping equipment and training to the Army.

Any more you can say about the mapping equipment and training for the Army?

The Army and Marine Corps have what are called "Terrain Teams" whose mission is to merge intelligence data with geophysical and climatological data to provide answers for the commander. I teach two week classes on what we field. Both hardware and software. [I travel] worldwide. At times it got to be boring to go to Hawaii.

GPS? Or is it more than that?

LOTS more.

Hobbies:
Folding, carpentry, keeping abreast of technology.

What is your [H]ard OCP username? What is the meaning or significance of your [H]ardOCP username, if any?

gemniii, my initials.

I’m not sure what you mean. Gnewbury is your initials, right? What about gemniii, your folding name with Stanford?

That's what I meant. gnewbury's the name. gemniii are my initials.

Want to link to a picture of yourself?

http://members.cox.net/newbury/g3stpatty-trim2.jpg

How long have you been growing that beard?

I shave it off April 1st, then start growing it again in the autumn.

On to the interview:

Congratulations on being chosen the [H]ard DC'er for the month. How does it feel to be chosen by your peers for such a prestigious award?

Pretty poor - only 11 votes, and I'd blame it on relic :)

Why do you think you were chosen?

No freakin idea except I'm old and ugly.

Why do you participate in Distributed Computing?

I hate to waste cycles. Alzheimers in the family.

See my sig.

Here is gnewbury's sig:

“SAVE YOUR CHILDREN!!
If you're not folding, you're holding.
Donate spare cpu cycles to folding@home!!--- http://folding.stanford.edu/ (#33)
#1 for the [H] in genome@home
IT'S for the SCIENCE - not the stats - but the stats reflect the science
About 12 to 20GHz for the [H]orde
disregard spelling, dyslexic keyboard”

If DC’ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

Breast cancer, because it's a total waste of a great resource.

What would you like the [H]orde to know about you that might surprise them?

I was at the Grand Canyon about 30+ years ago, inebriated, and wanted to relieve myself at an overlook. Dark rainy night. I hopped over the wall to a nearby rock, missed and fell (about 20 feet). Put a new meaning on “look before you leap.”

Did you get badly hurt when you fell at the Grand Canyon?

Cracked a rib.

Where do you see your DC’ing activities in the next year or two?

Fold On.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

I borged family before, but little success. Now the machines I pay for fold.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

Hopefully we will get the new blood excited again, we need more competition,

Long term?

If asked in 2002 I would have said we would be gone by 2007. My crystal ball is cloudy.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

T-shirts with pockets. A couple of years ago I wore my [H] T-shirt to DefCon and got to talk to several groups and encouraged them to fold. Now I want to make a T-shirt that says [H]ard DC'er of the month!

Everybody should have something in their sig about folding and team #33.

I like those ideas! I have some folding information in my sig as well.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

If you are reading this you are one step beyond where I was on the forum. Now I have to pay attention to this stuff. It's like my real job - I hate filling out performance reports to brag about what I've done, because I'm to busy doing the next thing. Fold ON!
I participate in numerous forums and this is [H]ands down the BEST forum for sharing knowledge without flaming and arguments.

Did I forget to ask you anything?

Probably.

On behalf of the [H]ard [H]orde, I thank you as well for your contributions to this team and I thank you for your time to talk about it. Keep on folding! Fold on For The Win! For the [H]orde! Congratulations once again for being chosen as the [H]ard DC’er of the month.

.:D

Hero is as Hero does...

Thanks for being here gnewbury.

Lots of people do crazy stuff at the canyon. Gots to be careful there. Congrats!

Back