eVGA Confirms the "Revamped" GTS 640 was released today

maybe 96+ means they found a way to selectively enable the extra pipes that were turned off to increase the yields? (provided they work, obviously)

I really wanna see this up against the GT and see if it's worth the premium now.

What I find curious, if this NEW GTS performs better than the GT, and the GT just performs under GTX... where does this fit in the GTS/GTX gap?

If they perform the same, why spend extra on a GTX?

What I find curious, if this NEW GTS performs better than the GT, and the GT just performs under GTX... where does this fit in the GTS/GTX gap?

My head hurts :(

Based on the specs, I would be surprised if this beats the GT. It looks like it will still lose, just by a smaller margin than the old GTS. I'd say this is just another ploy by the vid card industry to fleece the gullible, just like 8500 GT's with 512 MB of RAM and other tricks.

Something is definitely fishy somewhere here. GT is faster GTS, slightly slower than GTX but 100's less. So the......huh? I guess all GTS's are immediately obsolete except to the mentally handicapped that will buy the remaining stock? ok, I just confused myself...

Something is definitely fishy somewhere here. GT is faster GTS, slightly slower than GTX but 100's less. So the......huh? I guess all GTS's are immediately obsolete except to the mentally handicapped that will buy the remaining stock? ok, I just confused myself...
I don't see what's confusing about it. The 8800 GT replaces the GTS completely, but you still want to clear out the old stock at full price, so you give the new card a misleading name to help you do that. So, how to explain the 112 SP GTS? I bet the AIB partners like eVGA still have GTS parts that they haven't manufactured into cards yet, or maybe they're contractually obligated to produce a certain number more of them. For whatever reason, they can't stop making GTS's right away, so they enable a few more SP's, clock a bit higher and snare more gullible people who don't realize that the GT is still better. It's not fishy, it's just business as usual.

Based on the specs, I would be surprised if this beats the GT. It looks like it will still lose, just by a smaller margin than the old GTS. I'd say this is just another ploy by the vid card industry to fleece the gullible, just like 8500 GT's with 512 MB of RAM and other tricks.

I agree.

Info so far makes it clear these are just the old 90nm chips with some more shaders turned on. It might be a close fight now, but how this is worth any more than 8800GT? Even priced the same, I would probably still go for the 8800GT, it uses less power, takes up a single slot and has the enhanced video engine.

These are NOT G92s, all they are is leftover G80 stock that didnt quite yield to be GTX but it might have an extra shader unit over the regular GTS.

Russian I must know if buying a 8800GT now will gimme enough time to step up to the new highend, damn the NDA :).

Well, cant say what the core is... so if you want to find out i guess you have to take the card apart and look for yourself.

Wow. Would GPU-Z identify what it is?

That's crazy. I'd like to see a indepth review on one. Was any sent out to reviewers?

Is ther going to be a G92 GTS late november release?

Well after thinking about it, no matter what it is it should be more than $250 which about all Im willing to spend anyway so 8800GT it is for me:D

Huh... talk about under-whelming fan fare.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=143186&mpage=1&key=��

as reported by eVGA tech and forum administrator:

http://www.evga.com/articles/379.asp

Regular clocked GTS
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/640-P2-N824-A1.pdf

GTS SSC
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/640-P2-N829-A1.pdf

So... is there ANOTHER revamped GTS in the works later this month?

I can't see where did eVGA confirm it is the new GTS. Like i said before in another thread, eVGA didn't even state the SSC card is a PCI-E 2.0 card. I'm think that the new GTS would also be a PCI-E 2.0 card with 256bit memory interface just like the 8800GT.

This is what a NCIX employee had to say about the evga's new 8800GTS 640MB

- Keep in mind the EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SSC version. G92 in a higher end package. We have lots of stock ready to ship. Send a ticket if you want to switch.

This is what a NCIX employee had to say about the evga's new 8800GTS 640MB

This is what I have to say about the Ncix employee. He is mistaken.

Read the PDF from EVGA, this thing has 576 core clock and 1350 Shader clock. It is NOT G92. It is a complete waste of money.

read the bfg pr on the front page. the "new" gts will have 112 stream processors, just like the gt. and higher clocks. so it would just about have to out-perform the gt, because it has same sp, same clocks, wider bus and more memory. but msrp is $499. not worth 2x a gt.

how would the new GTS perform better then the GTX? It has less shaders, less mem bandwidth, less TMU, less ROP on the same archecture

the new GTS should be on par or below the GT considering the GT still has a 150mhz clock advantage on the shaders and almost the same mem bandwidth, and higher clock to boot

GT 112sp
Clock : 600mhz
Shader : 1500mhz

GTS 112sp
Clock : 575Mhz
Shaders 1350Mhz
64gb bandwidth vs 58gb shouldn't break the GT's back

i thought the new gts was going to have new architecture?not the old one. :mad::mad:. and have performance better than the gtx and not far off the ultra

how would the new GTS perform better then the GTX? It has less shaders, less mem bandwidth, less TMU, less ROP on the same archecture

the new GTS should be on par or below the GT considering the GT still has a 150mhz clock advantage on the shaders and almost the same mem bandwidth, and higher clock to boot

GT 112sp
Clock : 600mhz
Shader : 1500mhz

GTS 112sp
Clock : 575Mhz
Shaders 1350Mhz
64gb bandwidth vs 58gb shouldn't break the GT's back

The GTS 640 should be better at high resolutions, when compared to the 8800 GT.

i thought the new gts was going to have new architecture?not the old one. :mad::mad:. and have performance better than the gtx and not far off the ultra

The early rumors, actually mentioned that the "new" GTS 640, would have 128 Stream Processors, just like the GTX or Ultra. But it seems that it only contains 112 SPs, just like the new 8800 GT. That seems to be a way, to keep the consistency of their naming scheme i.e. GTX > GTS > GT. With the 8800 GT around, the "old" GTS 640 was actually losing most benchmarks and so it was more like GTX > GT >= GTS 640.

so wat would u advise getting at this stage? the new gt or wait to see wat this new gts can do?

The GT is the best bang for your buck. It's much cheaper than this new GTS 640, while it should offer comparable performance. Not to mention it has hardware video decoding capabilities, which the GTS 640, does not. IMHO, you should get the GT.

so wat would u advise getting at this stage? the new gt or wait to see wat this new gts can do?

I definitely say the latter, i mean what do you lose when waiting in the consumer hardware industry when buying? you save money? lol

The GT is the best bang for your buck. It's much cheaper than this new GTS 640, while it should offer comparable performance. Not to mention it has hardware video decoding capabilities, which the GTS 640, does not. IMHO, you should get the GT.

I agree, but what if you bought an 8800GTS 640 already and 20 bucks for a stepup could be a bigger difference than you thought. There is no doubt that the 8800GT is the best bang for you r buck(the new 8800gts 320mb).:D

read the bfg pr on the front page. the "new" gts will have 112 stream processors, just like the gt. and higher clocks. so it would just about have to out-perform the gt, because it has same sp, same clocks, wider bus and more memory. but msrp is $499. not worth 2x a gt.

Umm no.

Higher than GTS clocks, LOWER than GT clocks.

Here is the BFG info:
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS EE OC 640MB:

Core Clock: 565MHz vs. standard 500MHz

Shader Clock: 1300MHz vs. standard 1200MHz

Memory Clock: 1700MHz vs. standard 1600MHz

The GT has 600MHz,1500MHz, 1800MHz. Much faster across the board. Both the BFG and EVGA confirm that:
The "new" GTS has slower clocks than the GT and is really the OLD GTS with more units, that only an idiot would pay more than GT money for.

We'll see what the scoop is in a couple of weeks when the smoke clears, but here's my take: There is no new GTS, there's just a couple of AIB partners enabling an extra eighth of the card to maximize the value of the parts they already had, hoping that people will keep paying top dollar for the old crap out of confusion until it's cleared from the shelves. Judging by this thread, if they were looking to confuse people, it's working.

Going by the specs, GT will still win, since they have the same SP's, but the GT has higher clocks on core, SP, and memory, and 57 instead of 64 Gb/sec is not exactly a huge difference in bandwidth. I also doubt 640 MB RAM will shine where 512 falters, especially since the 1GB HD 2900 XT didn't seem to grant any advantage over its 512 MB sibling, showing that it wasn't limited at 512.

Back