Is it possible nVidia will release a 8900Ultra soon instead of 9800GTX ??

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I will be very disappointed if nVidia drops the ball and does not release a 8800Ultra killer in November/December. I mean the 8800 series is almost one year old technology and nothing new has been released until todays 8800GT, lets see a Ultra version based off this new 8800GT architecture could name it 8900Ultra = a cooler running higher clocked version of the current Ultra and could be like 25-30% faster ?? Then next March/April release the 9800GTX

But then again what new games are even coming out next year that needs it, the biggest most demanding games are all coming out right now, Crysis, UT-3, Hellgate, BioShock. What is even due out next Spring/Summer that will be harder to run than these ??

Another thing I was thinking, I just do not understand nVidia's marketing idea on the naming of this refresh series :rolleyes: Should be 8850 or 8900 series

I mean 8800GT just doesn't sound right compared to the old 8800GTS which it beats, and then the craziest of all, is their plan to make an all new 8800GTS on this new lower process with new clock speeds and still name it 8800GTS, will that not confuse everyone out when they say they have an 8800GTS, ya mean which one the 2006 model or 2007 version ??

Why the fuk don't they just come up with a new name like 8850GTS or 8900GTS. Look at Intel their new cpu refresh 45nm process gets new name, or ATI/AMD's new refresh is all new named, what's up nVidia ??

9800XC2
G90 with multi core technology
730mhz/2500mhz
1512 mb gddr4 ram
<3<3<3
*wakes up*

Why the fuk don't they just come up with a new name like 8850GTS or 8900GTS. Look at Intel their new cpu refresh 45nm process gets new name, or ATI/AMD's new refresh is all new named, what's up nVidia ??

I agree with you on this point. I think of it as a misnamed 8900 GT. Think about it; the 7900 GT was a die-shrunk 7800 with a reasonable price that basically equaled the 7800 GTX in power. The 8800 GT is a die-shrunk 8800 that is competitive with the 8800 GTX in all but the highest of high resolutions. Sure sounds like a 8900 GT to me.

On that note, my 7800 GT is probably going to be replaced with one of those babies on Black Friday. :D I've waited this long, I can be patient and wait just a bit longer to replace the weak link in my recently upgraded system. (Just went from a socket 939 X2 3800+ to an E6850.) And this price/performance sweet spot is just what I've been waiting for.

9800GTX
G90 with multi core technology
730mhz/2500mhz
1512 mb gddr4 ram
<3<3<3
*wakes up*

Give me the link to buy I am there right now :) :) I mean come on this Fall better not be the release of only the budget cards, where is the next generation high end we have been waiting all year for ?? We need them for Crysis and UT-3 25601600rez gaming

They probably named it the way they did to help clear out the old stock. It being so much better and cheaper than the 8800 GTS, if they named it the GTR or something no one would want a GTS. But if uninformed and / or stupid people think the GTS is better based on the name, they can keep selling GTS's at full price until they're gone from the shelves.

They probably named it the way they did to help clear out the old stock. It being so much better and cheaper than the 8800 GTS, if they named it the GTR or something no one would want a GTS. But if uninformed and / or stupid people think the GTS is better based on the name, they can keep selling GTS's at full price until they're gone from the shelves.

Yeah, sadly that's the best explanation I can think of too. Thank goodness we're in the informed bunch! It really is a 8900 GT. It can't be a GTS/GTx or whatever because those names are reserved for dual-slot cards. ;) Well, when nVidia is being consistent at least, which they're not always...

Thgat's pretty shitty of nVidia if that is their plan. Not nice business to screw your uninformed paying customers to buy the outdated model without knowing so

November 1st is date that everyone has been saying the G92 high end comes out. Well atleast 3 weeks ago that was the word.

bfg is saying that they are going to release a "new" gts 640 with 112 stream processors, and higher clocks. could this be g92 core (which has 112 sp) with a 320 bit bus and 640mb ram? the $499 they are asking seems a little pricey, tho. its not like it will be twice as much card as the gt for twice as much cash.

But then again what new games are even coming out next year that needs it, the biggest most demanding games are all coming out right now, Crysis, UT-3, Hellgate, BioShock. What is even due out next Spring/Summer that will be harder to run than these ??

Spore, possibly. We'll see.

It'll certainly be more innovative than the ones you've listed, but that's just MHO.

Thgat's pretty shitty of nVidia if that is their plan. Not nice business to screw your uninformed paying customers to buy the outdated model without knowing so
The GPU industry has been fleecing the uninformed for a long time. Go to Best Buy (or any brick and mortar store) and see what kind of cards they have on the shelves and how much they cost just to get an idea. Then go find a bottom-of-the-barrel card with huge amounts of unnecessary RAM and see how much extra it costs. This misleading naming scheme is just par for the course, and frankly I can't find room to complain since we're getting an almost-GTX for $250. I suppose it would be disconcerting to someone with strong brand loyalties when the companies behave this way, though.

November 1st is date that everyone has been saying the G92 high end comes out. Well atleast 3 weeks ago that was the word.

first I heard of that, there better be next generation high end this year still or fuk nVidia if not then.

Don't tease me with just low budget refreshes, lets see a 8900Ultra at least, or DualCore card. I mean I know it is important to release cards like the 8800GT which is a great performer and good deal, but dumbest name ever, should be the 8900GT, but come on with Crysis, UT-3 and other games we need more power today not next year

Well that's generally the way business works. It's not to *screw* customers per se, it's a marketing scheme to help alleviate the large inventory of 8800gts - just as arthur_tuxedo mentioned.

Cutting down prices of the GTS to match the price to performance ratio of the GT will mean a large cut on their profit margin. But in all honesty, although it sucks for the customers - from a business perspective, nVidia has to make as much money as possible to keep funding their R&D to develop faster and more efficient technologies.

I dunno much about the past. But wasent the 8800 series the biggest leap in GPU's ever?

Woa pretty large statement there, I seem to remember when the 3DFX chipsets first appeared it was a far bigger deal. One could go further back and come up with much bigger advancements than Nvidia's jump from 7 series to 8 series. The Jump form 6 series to 7 series was just as big as 7 to 8.

Woa pretty large statement there, I seem to remember when the 3DFX chipsets first appeared it was a far bigger deal. One could go further back and come up with much bigger advancements than Nvidia's jump from 7 series to 8 series. The Jump form 6 series to 7 series was just as big as 7 to 8.

You lost me there...

The biggest wow factor was the 9700Pro it blew nVidia out of the water and was top dog for awhile, then I would say the 8800GTX being much better than everyone was expecting and lasting on top for so long too.

I havent read this whole thread but I do agree that nvidia's current naming scheme is screwed up it should be as follows, performance increasing as you go to the right. 8800gts, 8900gt (instead of 8800gt), 8900gts (instead of newer 8800gts), then 8800 gtx, 8800 ultra, this then leaves room for the 8900gtx and 8900ultra refreshes.

Nvidia want to clear out GTS/GTX stock and phase out the 90nm 8800s and replace them all with a new affordable and cheaper to make (65nm) mid-range keeping the good 8800 brand going while the 8900s will rule the highend.

God I want a new series already, not just a refresh :(

I agree, it is nice they have a new 8800GT good price good performance, even though wrong name should be named 8900GT

But bring on the next generation high end part now please not next year

Back