Crysis 64bit tips

Dregan73

Limp Gawd
For those of you having problems with the 64bit crysis crashing, here is the fix, in nvida controll panel go to manage 3d settings, find the crysis.exe and set vsync force off, if it left on default let app choose most people reporting the game crashes during post or eather in game very soon, if you set it to force on it works as well, but for some reason it will lock your frames to 30 or 60 depending on what you are looking at, most of the time the frames where locked at 30 and it just felt sluggish on the mouse.

On a postive note the 64bit does indeed run faster then 32bit versions, you can expect 6 - 10 fps avg more over 32bit, also shader quailty on high makes the biggest performance hit of just about any setting, i recomend setting this to medium.

Post proccessing tips, if you dont like motion blur, but want to see sunrays and coronas that are only enabled if you set post processign to very high, here is what you can do, go to

Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Config\CVarGroups\sys_spec_PostProcessing.cfg

open this file and change it to look like this

[default]
; default of this CVarGroup
= 4

r_DepthOfField=2
r_MotionBlur=0
r_sunshafts=1
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_Flares=1
r_Coronas=1
r_colorgrading=1
r_GlowScreenMultiplier = 0.2

then in game set post processing to very high, you get the sun rays, coronas, depth of field without the motion blur or edge enhancment wich slows down current cards

I had a 4fps drop when going from 32bit to 64bit
You're not alone.
From reading around various forums, it seems like AMD CPUs actually perform worse in 64-bit mode in Crysis compared to 32-bit binary performance. In the other hand, Intel Core2 CPUs get performance boost going from 32-bit to 64-bit.

yeah the 64bit version runs better then the 32 bit version on my setup.

actually people are reporting a drop in fps from Core 2 Duo setups aswell going to 64bit, it could be ur mem? 4gb ftw :p?

64-bit runs a bit faster for me, I think I noted a 2-3fps avg improvement running 64-bit.

Well, that stinks about VSync being required to be off. I can't stand not having VSync on - I get tearing really bad with it off.

Well, that stinks about VSync being required to be off. I can't stand not having VSync on - I get tearing really bad with it off.

That can also depend on what monitor you have as well as the game. In Crysis I don't see much tearing, yes there is some but for me it's not all that noticeable. I'm still tweaking my config to get as much performance out of the High settings. Like the dept of field and motion blur stuff gives me a headache, also edge enhancing AA is also usefull. I enabled that as well (usually only for Very High) and didn't notice a huge FPS drop, although I'm not sure if some level of AA has to be enabled or not.

Edge-AA I believe is basically "foliage AA" (what most might call transparent-AA, but different). I think there's only two different cvars for it as well, I've got more testing to do to make sure it's working with or without some level of AA enabled.

For those of you having problems with the 64bit crysis crashing, here is the fix, in nvida controll panel go to manage 3d settings, find the crysis.exe and set vsync force off, if it left on default let app choose most people reporting the game crashes during post or eather in game very soon, if you set it to force on it works as well, but for some reason it will lock your frames to 30 or 60 depending on what you are looking at, most of the time the frames where locked at 30 and it just felt sluggish on the mouse.

On a postive note the 64bit does indeed run faster then 32bit versions, you can expect 6 - 10 fps avg more over 32bit, also shader quailty on high makes the biggest performance hit of just about any setting, i recomend setting this to medium.

Post proccessing tips, if you dont like motion blur, but want to see sunrays and coronas that are only enabled if you set post processign to very high, here is what you can do, go to

Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Config\CVarGroups\sys_spec_PostProcessing.cfg

open this file and change it to look like this

[default]
; default of this CVarGroup
= 4

r_DepthOfField=2
r_MotionBlur=0
r_sunshafts=1
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_Flares=1
r_Coronas=1
r_colorgrading=1
r_GlowScreenMultiplier = 0.2

then in game set post processing to very high, you get the sun rays, coronas, depth of field without the motion blur or edge enhancment wich slows down current cards

nice guide, but setting shaders to medium = Farcry graphics

If I set shaders to medium and everything else on high, the trees and bushes in the distance look like they "shine" or have snow on them. Also some of the water shading waffles in and out. I need to have shaders on high to elimanate this.

To compensate I have to reduce resolution from 1920x1200 to 1600x1200.
I got about 28-30 FPS in 64 bit DX10.

Tearing is definitely a bitch for nice single player games like this. The drop to 30fps with VSync forced would indicate that Crysis runs double buffered :confused:

i found a fix for medium shaders simply enable HDRrenedering=2 on medium settings and it dosent look like farcray anymore, thats about the most important setting in shaders wich only turns on normaly when setting it to high

Here is my 32bit vs 64bit benchmarks

Default Medium Settings @ 1440 x 900

64bit CPU Test
!TimeDemo Run 3 Finished.
Play Time: 33.59s, Average FPS: 44.65
Min FPS: 19.86 at frame 889, Max FPS: 63.54 at frame 323

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

32bit CPU test
!TimeDemo Run 3 Finished.
Play Time: 31.08s, Average FPS: 48.27
Min FPS: 25.42 at frame 1088, Max FPS: 65.37 at frame 263

My System Specs

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 @ 2.8ghz stock air ( 1600mhz FSB )
Mobo: Asus Commando
Memory: 2gb corsiar ddr2 800 mhz
Video Card: Asus 8800 GTS @ 600 / 1800
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 941BW
Current Display Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)

Dunno why but most people are reporting 32bit runs faster then 64bit, as you see inther benchmark, maybe more ram or higher resolutions then what i run may prove to be differant i dont know
Also i like to note i tested dx10 vs dx9 on a pure GPU test, im not gonna bother posting results but both run about the same, dx9 was about 1.4 fps faster wich really isnt even worth noting, so no reason for anyone with a dx10 card to not use dx10 rendering

Paintbrush from the Crysis Online forums deserves a lot of credit for taking the time to find the cause and resolution to the Vista 64 bit and Crysis 64 bit issue.

Symptom: Crysis 64 bit will not load, just blank screen, CTRL ALT DEL and it says CryEngine has stopped working.

Resolution: Un-install Nvidia’s Network Access Manager and you will be able to run Crysis in 64 bit mode.

Thanks Paintbrush, you solved an issue that was driving me crazy since the demo came out.

Below is the original post about this issue;
http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=12450.0

BTW – 64 bit mode for me runs about 1 frame per second slower that the 32 bit mode does. That was a little disappointing.

:);):cool:

Symptom: Crysis 64 bit will not load, just blank screen, CTRL ALT DEL and it says CryEngine has stopped working.

Resolution: Un-install Nvidia’s Network Access Manager and you will be able to run Crysis in 64 bit mode.

Thanks Paintbrush, you solved an issue that was driving me crazy since the demo came out.
:);):cool:

Note that was on nvidia motherboards not video cards :)

Hopefully they can fix these little issues soon :)

15 days from launch still i belive :)

Thx Dregan, turning off vsync worked for me.

I have to wonder, though, how does Nvidia release "Recommended driver for Crysis single player game demo"... and it doesn't even work at the default settings (leaving vsync to application choice). Do they even do basic testing on the drivers before they publish them? It would seem not, and that would actually explain a lot with their driver situation as of late.

Also, no SLI support for a "The Way It's Meant to be Played" title?

Paintbrush from the Crysis Online forums deserves a lot of credit for taking the time to find the cause and resolution to the Vista 64 bit and Crysis 64 bit issue.

Below is the original post about this issue;
http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=12450.0

I had the same issue, but all I had to do was force VSync off in the control panel and I was up and running in no time. I'm curious as to why network manager????
I have to agree with the statement about drivers not being very well reviewed before being released.
My only thought is this is a demo and when the real deal is released it will run correctly AND SLI will work.
AT 1680x1050 on 64 bit DX10, all high settings I average 24-30FPS, its playable, but barely.

I tried the vsync and the windowed mode sugguested fixes for 64 bit crysis and they did not work for me. The only way I got Crysis 64 bit to work was un-installing the nvidia network manager.

This only applies if you have an Nvidia mother board not to be confused with an Nvidia video card.

Where can I find a list of commands for the in-game control panel? Is is exactly the same as FarCry's?

I just want to enable FPS counter and run time demos and stuff

Where can I find a list of commands for the in-game control panel? Is is exactly the same as FarCry's?

I just want to enable FPS counter and run time demos and stuff

Do you mean console commands???? Look at tweakguides.com.

I tried the vsync and the windowed mode sugguested fixes for 64 bit crysis and they did not work for me. The only way I got Crysis 64 bit to work was un-installing the nvidia network manager.

This only applies if you have an Nvidia mother board not to be confused with an Nvidia video card.

I have an ASUS P5N32-E SLI, it is an nvidia 680i board. All I had to do was the above.
Very strange how each board is different.:eek:
Which MB do you use?

I got it working in x64 after uninstalling the nVidia network manager. Tho this had better get fixxed by the time it ships because I need this to enable trunking.

Back