getting ready to order Q6600 from newegg, what are the odds I'll get a good stepping

havuk88

Limp Gawd
Is there anyway to tell what stepping I'll get from a Q6600 ordered from newegg?

Do it and find out. Or you can be smart and buy from clubit.com and get a guaranteed G0.

And while Clubit is not an advertiser here anymore, they always seemed to do a good job with most [H]'ers. If Newegg offered a guranteed stepping I would suggest buyign from them, but you are just rolling the bones there.

I ordered my Q6600 from clubit.com because they guaranteed the G0 stepping. Everything went smooth with them.

You WOULD THINK, by now they'd have run out of the B stepping wafers and CPU's.
(assuming they stopped making B wafers when the G0's came out b/c G0's have better yields.) But then it still takes a while to go from wafer to CPU to channel to retailer.

Newegg does a ton of volume and most of their inventory moves in and out VERY quickly. So if you order a CPU from them
it might have just gotten in to their warehouse a day or 2 before.

Or maybe Newegg shuffled their B & G stepping chips on purpose so people would order and get a few G0's initially, then
they'd gradually shuffle in their older stock to get rid of it.

A better title would be "What stepping q6600 did you get from newegg lately?"

I just got my Q6600 from clubit about 15min ago. I opened the box and found a free copy of lost planet :eek:

Clubit's shipping isn't as good as Newegg's, but they can guarantee you a G0 like I said earlier. I built a machine for someone else earlier in October and didn't care what stepping they got, and bingo it was a B3, ordered on October 3rd from the egg.

My friend just ordered a Q6600 from newegg, it was a B3. Clulbit guarantees g0, seems like a no brainer.

Man I hate living in CA. All the cheap 'puter places are here, which is negated for me when I order from them as the 7.25% sales tax kicks in. It bumps the Clubit Q6600 up by nearly $20 :eek:

BTW, for those outside of CA, I concur - go Clubit for a guaranteed G0!

I just ordered my Q6600 from newegg Nov. 1st and recieved a G0 stepping. Guess I might be one of the lucky ones? not sure?

I just ordered my Q6600 from newegg Nov. 1st and recieved a G0 stepping. Guess I might be one of the lucky ones? not sure?

Most likely so, a friend of mine decided to gamble on a Q from Newegg in mid-late August and got a B3.

you odds would be based on how many newegg has in stock total and how many they have of "good steppings".

lol.

seriously why do people even ask these types of questions? :rolleyes:

I got a G0, and ordered on the 15th. Dunno what that tells ya though.

When I got my Q6600 G0 I went to Microcenter and they had some B3's on their shelves which had pack dates of 10/12... the sales guy told me they just came in last week.

So I guess Intel is still shipping them out to retailers and its just a luck of the draw if the store doesn't guarantee it... or you can hand pick one from a brick and mortar :D

I ordered a Q6600 from Newegg about 1.5 weeks ago and it was a G0.

-A.P. Etc

Just picked up a Q6600 retail box from NCIX's main store today. Pack date is 10/05/07.

It's a B3/SL9UM, batch #L719B160. So a month ago Intel was still sticking them in boxes, unless they're using euro date format.

The guys at NCIX claimed they didn't have any G0's in stock at that location either (my salesman went and physically checked the inventory).

WOW, well I guess that answers the OP's question sort of.

As of beginning to middle of October Intel was still "making" (packing) boxes with B3 steppings. So you could still possibly still get a B3 from newegg, better stick with someone who guarantee's a G0.

I ordered a Q6600 from Newegg about 1.5 weeks ago and it was a G0.

-A.P. Etc

And what was its pack date? Just to get an idea of their turn over time. (pack date vs. your received date)

I got my Q6600 G0 from Zipzoomfly last week, along with other goodies with free shipping for everything. I didn't know what G0 was.

I bought one from Newegg 2 months ago and got a G0....I ordered two more Q6600's in the last 2 weeks...I got a G0 and B3.

ClubIT is all sold out of the G0's. A friend ordered one Saturday night,and went to check his progress Sunday morning, to see that they were all sold out, and they still are.

another option is to go to local compusa, currently $289( cheaper currently than newegg when i checked earlier today)
then you can be sure if GO or B3

I ordered my q6600 from the egg a few days ago, and it was indeed a G stepping. The date on the box said October 3rd....meaning thats when it shipped from intel.

ClubIT has been great with all my purchases this year.

Looking to get a Quad for another build soon.

you odds would be based on how many newegg has in stock total and how many they have of "good steppings".

lol.

seriously why do people even ask these types of questions? :rolleyes:

Why do people like you bother replying? For the last few years Ive been running AMD so I'm out of the loop on the latest and greatest offerings as far as steppings go.. I was hoping someone would chime in with a few suggestions (many did thanks!) Sorry I wasted your time posting this useless drivel... I guess I should have asked what are the good steppings and are they still shipping to retailers...

Everyone else, thanks for the info :D

This probably doesnt help but I picked up a g0 from Compusa B&M about 5 days ago. They had like 4 or 5 on the shelf and just one g0. Checking local to cherry pick probably wouldnt be a bad option either if retailers do stock q6600's.

[snip]

And what was its pack date? Just to get an idea of their turn over time. (pack date vs. your received date)

Terribly sorry for not answering sooner! Life caught up with me and I spent some time away from the forum.

The Newegg order was placed on October 22, 2007 and the pack date on the chip's box is October 4, 2007.

-A.P. Etc

I ordered a OEM Q6600 from Newegg this monday. I got a G0 chip thats doing 3.6ghz @ 1.4v fully stable.

ordered a q6600 on november 28th and recieved GO stepping from newegg.

I ordered 6 of the OEM versions from Newegg few days ago , ( building a new pc for me and few other people ). Just got them few hrs ago , checked all of them , theyre all GO stepping. :cool:

Back