Help me OC my Q6600 on IP-35

Eulogy

2[H]4U
Hey guys,
Been working on my first real OC with a Q6600 (G0). I have an IP-35 (vanilla - no "E" or "PRO"). I think that's all the hardware you need to really be concerned with?
Anyway.
I tried finding my FSB max. I dropped my multi to 6 and just for giggles tried 400. This lead to me clearing the CMOS, as I got stuck in a quick power on/power off loop.
Well, damn, I shouldn't need more voltage already!
So, after clearing it, I try 6x400, with 1.44 something VCore. I also, to be thorogh, loosened my RAM timings and kicked the VTT up one, the MCH and ICH up one, and set the RAM to 1.9V.
Save, reboot. Same thing.
Again, I clear CMOS and start at square one. I raise the FSB in increments of 10's. I get to 380 and it'll load into windows - almost. BSOD very quickly. I didn't change any other setting.
Question 1) When running the lowest multi, should I need to kick up the voltages??

So, after a little fiddling and such, I find that at 1.42VCore, 1.9RAM, +1 MCH, +1 VTT I can boot windows and Prime95 for about an hour without issue. Temps are even fine here! Speedfan with a correction of +15C puts me at like 62-63C while doing small FFTs.

I'm going to be updating my BIOS to v 12 on the abit site, though I'm not holding out any hopes on this helping.
So, I'll hold off on asking many questions until I have that done (have to dig up a floppy. Damn you abit, I want to do this from a USB drive!).
Does my method so far seem OK though? I thought I'd find the mobo's highest FSB it'll take with the multi set to the lowest it'll go. Then from there I can later decide if my mobo is maxed or the CPU while overclocking.

What am I doing wrong? :(

So, I upgraded to v12. It seemed to help. Or I had a stroke of luck.
I'm now able to boot and do basic stuff at 9x400!
As soon as I load up prime small FFT and hit "start", I BSOD.
I kicked up the VCore to 1.48 and tried again. I had two cores hit 71C, so that's not going to fly.
I'm going to try to reseat my Ultra 120, and get a higher CFM fan on it. Help bring those temps down a little bit, and see if I can't get a 24/7 3.6GHz out of this beast.
In the midst of my latest rounds of testing, I also pull three sticks of RAM, and set it to just go by SPD for the values. This didn't seem to make any difference. Just out of eliminating it as a variable, I left one stick in and cranked it to 2.0V. Max for these G.Skill's is supposed to be 1.9. Oh well.
RIght now I'm sitting at 3375 (9x375) with a VCore (load): 1.328 (as reported by CPU-Z v1.41). I think in BIOS it was set to 1.42.
In small FFT I'm still hitting 68-69 on two cores :(.

I think, I can safely say that my mobo is not holding me back - at least doesn't seem to be. I don't know if this thing has a VDrop problem though, seems like it may?

Next week I'll try again with higher CFM fan, and a re-seat to hopefully bring the temps down. Maybe I'll lap the Ultra120 too.

To begin with, double check what voltage your ram needs to be operating at 400mhz.

edit: A quick look at g skill's website shows you need at least 2.1 volts on the ram, but I don't know which sticks you're running. Start from scratch with just the fsb and mem at 400 with the proper voltages on the memory with everything stock I suppose

To begin with, double check what voltage your ram needs to be operating at 400mhz.

edit: A quick look at g skill's website shows you need at least 2.1 volts on the ram, but I don't know which sticks you're running. Start from scratch with just the fsb and mem at 400 with the proper voltages on the memory with everything stock I suppose
Here's my RAM in particular:
Specification
Capacity 4GB (2GB x 2)
Speed 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400)
CAS Latency CL 5-5-5-15
Test Voltage 1.8~1.9 Volts
PCB 6 Layers PCB
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
Type 240-pin DIMM
Warranty Lifetime

1.9V is the max, I presume then.

1.9V is the max, I presume then.

maybe, but probally not, but you might not need more anyway. Thats the voltage, and the reason it has a range, is that during testing the board in use either varied the Vdimm or the bios setting was "off" and when set to 1.8V they measured something like 1.84 and maybe it varied some on that ( just making up number there). It could also be that some modules would not do the rated specs at 1.8 and they had to go to 1.9V on some sticks which supports the "Gskill likes extra" comment below.

What they are saying is that at rated timings and speeds that memory will do it at 1.8 -1.9V. It is not a maximum rating.

You do not appear to be running the memory over its rated speed but it is kinda hard to tell from your post.

So I do not think 1.9V is the max but I do not know what Gskill will support/honor warranty at. 2,0V would be what I put in.

put Vtt back to default. it hurts more than helps 97.465% of the time. A last resort item to mess with.

I do know that Gskill is widely known for "liking" a little extra.

maybe, but probally not, but you might not need more anyway. Thats the voltage, and the reason it has a range, is that during testing the board in use either varied the Vdimm or the bios setting was "off" and when set to 1.8V they measured something like 1.84 and maybe it varied some on that ( just making up number there). It could also be that some modules would not do the rated specs at 1.8 and they had to go to 1.9V on some sticks which supports the "Gskill likes extra" comment below.

What they are saying is that at rated timings and speeds that memory will do it at 1.8 -1.9V. It is not a maximum rating.

You do not appear to be running the memory over its rated speed but it is kinda hard to tell from your post.

So I do not think 1.9V is the max but I do not know what Gskill will support/honor warranty at. 2,0V would be what I put in.

put Vtt back to default. it hurts more than helps 97.465% of the time. A last resort item to mess with.

I do know that Gskill is widely known for "liking" a little extra.
I did the following this morning:
RAM to 2.05V.
I'm running my RAM:FSB in 1:1, so it's actually below spec for now. Partically my goal to hit 400x9, no ratio here and such.
I put the VCore in BIOS to 1.50 and tried 400x9 then. It boots, and runs prime fine, until I saw two cores were at 70C. I don't think I found the stop button so fast ever before :p. Yes I know 70 is "ok", but I have my "limit" set at <=68. This is just a personal limit.
And that was with the side of the case off anyway, so I'm sure you could add a couple more to it when I put the side back on.
I also noticed that my heatsink is getting pretty warm (duh :rolleyes:) but not much air is actually being pushed through it. So, I'm ordering a higher CFM & RPM fan right now to possibly help with that. In fact, I'm ordering two and going to go with push/pull on my Ultra 120.
For now, I'm going to settle with 3.2 and once I get my new goodies in I'll reseat everything, get more air moving there and see what I can do then.
I think my methodology seems logical thus far, and I can see where I'm hitting my walls. I just don't understand why it seems to get into windows, I need 1.50V (BIOS - CPU-Z reported 1.46). Seems awful high in comparison to a lot of G0's out there!

Hmm..that's pretty hot. Could it be that FSB hole at 400? Or was that p965 only? Try 410x6 at current volts, then decrease voltage until it destabilizes and then kick it up a little notch.

Alrighty, back to square one.
I got my new fans and thermal paste in. I pretty much pulled everything out and rebuilt the computer yesterday.
I power it on, and notice that my temps are 3-4 degrees cooler now - yay!
So I start overclocking...
Here's what I have so far:
380 FSB, 1:1 DRAM:FSB ratio
1.4875VCore (BIOS - CPUz reports like 1.44-1.45)
RAM 2.00V (5-5-5-15, 2T timing currently)
VTT 2.00V
MCH 1.55V
ICH 1.33V

It passed an overnight session of prime 95 (roughly 8.5 hours). I had round off checking enabled and everything. Temps were about 65C on the top hottest cores. Keep in mind, I also played CoD 2 a bit while Prime 95'ing. So I hammered it pretty good!

I try bumping the VCore to 1.5 in BIOS, push the FSB to 400 and leave everything else alone. Reboot. I get to windows. I fire up speed fan and only see about a 1C change. I fire up Prime 95, small FFT. Hit start, and off it goes. It gets to the 2nd pass and BSOD's on me.

I really *really* don't want to push anymore VCore into it. So, just to rule out any FSB hole on this mobo, I try 410 and 425. 410 booted and failed P95 as soon as I hit start, and 425 BSOD'd about half way through windows loading. So, I don't think it's a FSB hole.

Now what? Am I stuck at 380x9, or should I up my MCH/ICH voltage? I don't want to up my RAM voltage either. I didn't run Memtest, as I don't have a CD or Floppy drive currently (and can't boot from a thumb drive I guess - I couldn't get it to work).

I do have good airflow throughout my case (a 140mm on bottom front, a 120mm on top from both blowing in and a 120mm on back blowing out, with a hole for a 92mm on the side). But, I never really touch my NB/SB to see how warm they're getting. What's the safe voltage range for them?

What else should I do?

For what it's worth, I left all of those CPU options enabled (low power state, variable multiplier etc. etc.). I did try disabling all of them, but it didn't buy me anything in terms of stability. I'd rather leave them on, too, so that way when it doesn't need to be running full steam ahead and chewing through power, it's not.

All you can do is "fiddle" now. Frankly 3.4 Ghz is not too shabby and anything more is going to be hard to find. Sine I dont have an IP35 I am going to fade away in case a real expert show up with a 'magic tweak".

Try running the "stress the cpu" test and see if it fails, at least it takes the ram out of the picture and makes sure you are targeting the right settings in an attempt to get more.

All you can do is "fiddle" now. Frankly 3.4 Ghz is damn good and anything more is going to be hard to find. Sine I dont have an IP35 I am going to fade away in case a real expert show up with a 'magic tweak".
I'm pretty picky, I had my goal in mind while buying this system (400FSB for 1:1 with 800 MHz RAM). From seeing a decent chunk of guys hitting 3.6 on the database, I thought it was more do-able. Even on air.
I can settle with 380, that's not so terrible. But, this is the [H] afterall.

I hate to say it, but have you considered that maybe you just got a bum overclocker 6600 (or a "bad" IP35 for that matter)? Not that shabby, since you seem to be stable @ 3.4.

How is the board itself temp wise? That's one of the reasons I went w/ the IP35 Pro model myself, and not either of the lower SKUs - the more capable heatpipe system (no mounting issues w/ mine). Perhaps remove, clean and reapply thermal paste to the heatpipe portions? There were issues w/ the heatpipe mechanism (not sure if IP35/IP35 Pro or both) where the mounting was pooched due to the plastic hardware. Although I think I originally found that info over @ XS or something, where they were looking for bleeding edge overclocks, which is not something you seem to be near here.

I hate to say it, but have you considered that maybe you just got a bum overclocker 6600 (or a "bad" IP35 for that matter)? Not that shabby, since you seem to be stable @ 3.4.

How is the board itself temp wise? That's one of the reasons I went w/ the IP35 Pro model myself, and not either of the lower SKUs - the more capable heatpipe system (no mounting issues w/ mine). Perhaps remove, clean and reapply thermal paste to the heatpipe portions? There were issues w/ the heatpipe mechanism (not sure if IP35/IP35 Pro or both) where the mounting was pooched due to the plastic hardware. Although I think I originally found that info over @ XS or something, where they were looking for bleeding edge overclocks, which is not something you seem to be near here.
I have considered both the board and/or 6600 to be "slouch" OCers. I actually bounced the idea around of selling them here on H/eBay/somewhere and picking up new. But, I might just "deal with it" and be happy with 3.4. Not like I even need that much processing power right now, but it's good to know I have it (just like with my Corvette!).

Just looking for suggestions in case I missed something that I can try to push this one over the edge. Mostly looking to see if I can push the MCH/ICH voltage farther, or no (at least with the stock cooling).

Thanks!

just fyi you can flash the BIOS from an USB memory stick on that board.

The only thing that catches my eye at all is that you mentioned at one point you had 1.42 volts in the BIOS but only 1.328 under load as reported in CPU-Z, that is fairly significant VDROOP possibly. Look around to see if there is any settings in your BIOS (check your manual I guess) that might lower that. Else look for a voltage mod possibly if there is one for the ip35. You can try disabling those settings you mentioned also for the length of your time you are spending overclocking/testing, just to eliminate them as possibilities for hinderance. One thing that's a little weird, at least for me, I didn't get BSOD's while I was moving up my overclock, only rounding errors, so I wonder if there is some other part of your system besides the cpu/amount of vcore that is causing that instability. Have you checked the temps on the board itself?

The only thing that catches my eye at all is that you mentioned at one point you had 1.42 volts in the BIOS but only 1.328 under load as reported in CPU-Z, that is fairly significant VDROOP possibly. Look around to see if there is any settings in your BIOS (check your manual I guess) that might lower that. Else look for a voltage mod possibly if there is one for the ip35. You can try disabling those settings you mentioned also for the length of your time you are spending overclocking/testing, just to eliminate them as possibilities for hinderance. One thing that's a little weird, at least for me, I didn't get BSOD's while I was moving up my overclock, only rounding errors, so I wonder if there is some other part of your system besides the cpu/amount of vcore that is causing that instability. Have you checked the temps on the board itself?
I'll have my camera handy tonight, and when it BSOD's, I'll take a pic and post it then. I know the stop value is like 0x00000001e. Forget what the actual error is though. Yeah, I remember a hex stop value over a plain text error :rolleyes:. I'll have plenty of time to take the pic, since it dumps my RAM. Take about 5-6 seconds to do that!
Think it could be something else holding me back? I tried with one stick of RAM, but maybe this RAM overall is a slouch?

I think I typo'd - should've been 1.382. Still a VDroop, but not near as bad.

Ok, well, to start, a couple of screenies of the settings I used to try to hit 3.6!

DSCF3259.JPG

DSCF3260.JPG

DSCF3261.JPG

And as you can see here:

oc.bmp

I do make it into windows fine, get CPUz started, get Speedfan started and get P95 started. The temps don't even look bad IMO.
A few seconds (10-15?) after I tell P95 to start small FFT:

DSCF3262.JPG

Anyone have ideas?

Hi, sorry I can;t help you but I do have a question,

I am looking at purchasing your exact setup (ip35-e, q6600, g-skill ram) and I wos wondering if you are having any problems running 400 x 7 or 400 x 8 and if any vcore increases are necessary for those speeds.

Hi, sorry I can;t help you but I do have a question,

I am looking at purchasing your exact setup (ip35-e, q6600, g-skill ram) and I wos wondering if you are having any problems running 400 x 7 or 400 x 8 and if any vcore increases are necessary for those speeds.

I just set FSB to 400 and multi to 8, and dropped my VCore to 1.4875, and so far it's passing a prime test. I'll let it go for 10 mins, and then it's back to my OC. :-p

Ninja Edit:
Sorry, I just don't have time right now to find that minimum VCore that can P95 for 8 hours at 8x400. Maybe in a few days I can, but not right now.

I just set FSB to 400 and multi to 8, and dropped my VCore to 1.4875, and so far it's passing a prime test. I'll let it go for 10 mins, and then it's back to my OC. :-p

Ninja Edit:
Sorry, I just don't have time right now to find that minimum VCore that can P95 for 8 hours at 8x400. Maybe in a few days I can, but not right now.

O hey, no problem, just wanted to confirm that getting 400 fsb with the ip35, q6600, and gskill is not a big deal :D

O hey, no problem, just wanted to confirm that getting 400 fsb with the ip35, q6600, and gskill is not a big deal :D

I've been doing 400x8 since I got this board (Pro though, not vanilla) and chip with pretty much no issues, just as another vote. I didn't try 400x9 with anything over 1.3v, though I've been considering the idea again recently.

I'm doing 425x8 right now w/P95. I'll let it go 10 mins, then I'm going to try 450x8!

I've been doing 400x8 since I got this board (Pro though, not vanilla) and chip with pretty much no issues, just as another vote. I didn't try 400x9 with anything over 1.3v, though I've been considering the idea again recently.

400x8 on stock vcore?

I'm doing 425x8 right now w/P95. I'll let it go 10 mins, then I'm going to try 450x8!

450 :cool:

Can you link me to the exact gskill that you bought? was it a 2x2 kit?

Also, in 32bit xp with 4 gigs installed does it see 3 gigs or only 2?

With my IP35-E (BIOS v11) I'm hitting 3.6ghz with my Q6600 9x400 @ 1.4875 (1.448 after vdrop).

400x8 on stock vcore?

450 :cool:

Can you link me to the exact gskill that you bought? was it a 2x2 kit?

Also, in 32bit xp with 4 gigs installed does it see 3 gigs or only 2?

This MoBo will handle 450x#, I believe.
My RAM is like a life-long slacker though. It didn't like it one bit.
If you have the cash, get some real RAM and get Ballistix or Dominators. I should've - I regret that.
I have 8GB of RAM, and am running Vista 64 bit.
32 bit will see 4GB-GPU memory. Depening on what you have, can be as high as 3.75 or as low as 3.
I think you can use your same product key for 64 bit. Might as well take the jump if you can.

Edit:
Here's my model number:

Model Name : F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (2GB x 2)
If you're looking for OC'ing RAM - I suggest staying away. Runs great up to 425 FSB at 2.05V. (test voltage on package of max 1.9V, so I may be overvolting already).

This MoBo will handle 450x#, I believe.
My RAM is like a life-long slacker though. It didn't like it one bit.
If you have the cash, get some real RAM and get Ballistix or Dominators. I should've - I regret that.
I have 8GB of RAM, and am running Vista 64 bit.
32 bit will see 4GB-GPU memory. Depening on what you have, can be as high as 3.75 or as low as 3.
I think you can use your same product key for 64 bit. Might as well take the jump if you can.

Edit:
Here's my model number:

Model Name : F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (2GB x 2)
If you're looking for OC'ing RAM - I suggest staying away. Runs great up to 425 FSB at 2.05V. (test voltage on package of max 1.9V, so I may be overvolting already).

cool, my goals are really to just run at 400fsb (1:1) with the stock hsf and voltage and 4 gigs of memory, so I think this will suit me

Eulogy, have you tried to install any chipset cooling fan on the vanilla board? I'm thinking to get the same cpu and mobo with 2-4 sticks of 1gb Crucial DDR-800 ram.

Thanks!

p.s.: If I just OC it to 2.8G, what kind of temp should I expect? I'm going to use Tuniq Tower.

I was stuck at or around 3.4GHz before I moved to the bios 14 version. BSOD on 400 and I have dominators. your GTLREF looks low.

my setting is as followed runing prime for over 48hrs temps @ PWM 67C with small PWM fan and under 63C on each core

Mess around with the clock just a bit, mine hit at 401 @1.525

MCH 1.25VCPU VTT 1.2VICH 1.05VDDR2 2.1ICHIO 1.5VDDR2 Ref 0CPU GTLREF 66

Eulogy, have you tried to install any chipset cooling fan on the vanilla board? I'm thinking to get the same cpu and mobo with 2-4 sticks of 1gb Crucial DDR-800 ram.

Thanks!

p.s.: If I just OC it to 2.8G, what kind of temp should I expect? I'm going to use Tuniq Tower.
Nope, haven't felt the need to. It has the heat-pipe system for the NB, and I basically have a 120mm pulling air across it's heatsink. But, I never really look at it's temps. I just have the stock heatsink on the SB, too, no additional cooling.
It's hard to say what temps you'll get. You could get a complete bum chip and need to pump 1.5V into it just to hit 3.0GHz. Nothing's a guarentee when OCing.
I was stuck at or around 3.4GHz before I moved to the bios 14 version. BSOD on 400 and I have dominators. your GTLREF looks low.

my setting is as followed runing prime for over 48hrs temps @ PWM 67C with small PWM fan and under 63C on each core

Mess around with the clock just a bit, mine hit at 401 @1.525

MCH 1.25VCPU VTT 1.2VICH 1.05VDDR2 2.1ICHIO 1.5VDDR2 Ref 0CPU GTLREF 66
The IP-13 vanilla stopped with version 12 of the BIOS. Though I don't think it's the mobo holding me back, since as an earlier test showed, I could do 425x8 easily. My RAM didn't like 450x8, though I'm sure the board wouldn't have minded. If I could do less than 1:1 on the RAM I'd try it, but alas, I can't!
Since I can't hit the 400x9, I'm beginning more and more to think it's the CPU holding me back. Unless I need to pump more into the MCH/ICH, though I don't know how to tell if that's the case or not.
I could replace components if I fry something, but I'd really raather not! Once Penryn's come out (mainstream cheaper quads), I may just pump serious voltage into this guy, kill it off and have some fun at the same time.
I was curious about the GTLREF, but I notice that it's just basically a ratio for the VTT, which as BillParrish points out, probably does more harm than good. Or am I mistaken as to what that value actually is? I read the [H] review of the IP-35-PRO and my manual, but neithe come out and give a good description as to what it is/does.

here is some tech info on the GTL (it is basiclly the voltage level of the data pulses on the FSB) article is pretty technical but it is not hard to pull out the conclusions and general idea.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=87

Stick a finger on that NB heatsink, it should be pretty hot at 400FSB and above and will only get hotter when it has to pump data to the video card when you fire up a game. It gets OCed exactly the same as the cpu and hot melt glueing a fan on it is a very very good idea. (damn cant remember from a picture what that heatsink/pipe looks like but getting forced air on it could help high OCing stability a great deal, not to mention life. If you have a spare fan around just hanging it somewhere or sitting/proping it somewere where the airflow would directly hit the NB would be an interesting test. Use the finger test after to see the difference. I beleive you will immedately see a big difference in temps.) It might help your OC or might not but it certainly cannot hurt. It will also let you investigate higher MCH voltages with much less concern. The P35 MCH is rated on the Intel Data sheet as having an absolute max of 1.75 volts. As you are probally aware those big towers do not provide the "blow by" to the cpu voltage regulation components around the cpu socket an with a quad they are under a lot of load. I am a cooling fanatic, just to eliminate the question a 80 mm fan positioned so it hits the MCH heatsink and blows under that tower towards the upper left corner of the board would be a good idea while you are testing. Later you can come up with a cleaner solution if it helps.

I have 8GB of RAM,
wow, considering the amount of ram you have I am amazed at the OCing you are getting.

try a quick run at CL6 (leaving the other timings alone). at 8 x 450. and boot into memtest. If ok try orthos and let us know. (trying to determine if its the mch/memory sub-system or the cpu alone that is holding you back. )

(jeez you hooked me , I just cant leave this alone )

here is some tech info on the GTL (it is basiclly the voltage level of the data pulses on the FSB) article is pretty technical but it is not hard to pull out the conclusions and general idea.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=87

Stick a finger on that NB heatsink, it should be pretty hot at 400FSB and above and will only get hotter when it has to pump data to the video card when you fire up a game. It gets OCed exactly the same as the cpu and hot melt glueing a fan on it is a very very good idea. (damn cant remember from a picture what that heatsink/pipe looks like but getting forced air on it could help high OCing stability a great deal, not to mention life. If you have a spare fan around just hanging it somewhere or sitting/proping it somewere where the airflow would directly hit the NB would be an interesting test. Use the finger test after to see the difference. I beleive you will immedately see a big difference in temps.) It might help your OC or might not but it certainly cannot hurt. It will also let you investigate higher MCH voltages with much less concern. The P35 MCH is rated on the Intel Data sheet as having an absolute max of 1.75 volts. As you are probally aware those big towers do not provide the "blow by" to the cpu voltage regulation components around the cpu socket an with a quad they are under a lot of load. I am a cooling fanatic, just to eliminate the question a 80 mm fan positioned so it hits the MCH heatsink and blows under that tower towards the upper left corner of the board would be a good idea while you are testing. Later you can come up with a cleaner solution if it helps.

wow, considering the amount of ram you have I am amazed at the OCing you are getting.

try a quick run at CL6 (leaving the other timings alone). at 8 x 450. and boot into memtest. If ok try orthos and let us know. (trying to determine if its the mch/memory sub-system or the cpu alone that is holding you back. )

(jeez you hooked me , I just cant leave this alone )
Damn this being stuck at work!
I'll be giving some of this a shot tonight at home.
I'll loosen the timings even further and kick the FSB sky high :D

OK, so, here's what I have tried so far. Bill, I'm looking at you!!!
First thing was to eliminate RAM as the variable. I once again pulled 3/4 sticks, and also tried loosening my timings. I'm going to have to say this is a first, but lossening my timings result in failed POST. What the hell?
So I put it back on auto.

I then kicked that GTLREF up to 67%. Seems that's what the IP35-Pro's default at, so I figured it was at least somewhat safe.
I pushed the FSB up to the mystical 400. Kicked VCore up to 1.5075.
Pressed F10 (Save & Exit). Reboot.
This reboot thing is pissing me off. It reboots and then turns off and reboots again. The IP-35 vanilla does NOT have a BIOS fix for this :(.
Anyway.

I get into windows, load up SpeedFan, CPU-z and P95.
Tell it to GO on Small FFT run.
No BSOD, not right away anyway.

I went 8 minutes! And then BSOD'd :(.

Note, this was ALL done with one stick of RAM. As much of a slouch as this stuff is about running over spec, it IS spec'd to 800MHz and such, so I, in theory, should be able to run 400 FSB w/ 5-5-5-15, 2T timings. And, as stated before, I can run it at 425x8 without issue. I don't think the RAM is holding me back from hitting 3600. If I were trying for more than that, I would highly consider it, but right now I can't bring myself to.

So, now what? I think that I can safely say I have a bum chip, and it doesn't want to go where I want to take it.
Again, that's fine and dandy. I just wish it would. Unless anyone else has ideas of things to try, I think I'm at the point where it's time to throw in the hat and let 'er go.

Also, of note, my NB/SB never get HOT to the touch. The NB is getting warm, but not too bad. As I was doing the "finger it!" test, I noticed that both directly over the HS and then the end where the heatpipe ends, there's a lot of air blowing. So, I don't think that chipset is overheating.

Right now I'm going to try 389x9. That's a resultant of 3500. I'll see how that goes, and report back. Time to hit go ;)

3500 is doing well. That's confusing. P95 has been running for 35+ mins. I even kicked in some CoD 2 just to really push the hell out of memory/cpu/gpu all at once and see what it did.
Now my NB is HOT.
I'm going to see what 410 does.

Edit:
410 sucked ass.
I'm back to my known good setup, 378x9 @ 1.44VCore. Going to let it sit until I can think of something.

Tonight I'm going to up the RAM voltage to 2.15 and see what that buys me.

Back