How do you pronounce 8800GTX?

morkboy_wonder

Limp Gawd
Since I buy the majority of my hardware on line I have never really got to the bottom of this one. Is it "eight thousand, eight hundred GTX" or "eighty eight hundred GTX" or even "eight eight hundred GTX"! My mates all vary in their pronunciation and I was wondering what the consensus is?

ps - it has also occurred to me that it is far easier to say worldwideweb. for websites rather than saying www. ;)

I just say 'the G-T-X' since everyone knows its the 8800 anyway. Who talks about 3 year old hardware?

I just say 'the G-T-X' since everyone knows its the 8800 anyway. Who talks about 3 year old hardware?

same here, unless im talking to someone who knows nothing about computers, its GTX, GTS 640, GTS 320, or GT :p

Since I buy the majority of my hardware on line I have never really got to the bottom of this one. Is it "eight thousand, eight hundred GTX" or "eighty eight hundred GTX" or even "eight eight hundred GTX"! My mates all vary in their pronunciation and I was wondering what the consensus is?

ps - it has also occurred to me that it is far easier to say worldwideweb. for websites rather than saying www. ;)

What? you can't say www? Can you say WoW or do you have to say World or Warcraft.

Who the hell says www or world wide web?

Just say "so and so dot com"...

If people can't figure the rest out on their own they don't need to be using a computer anyway.. they could hurt themselves.

I'm guessing your from the UK morkboy. I've noticed people there don't seem to say long numbers the way Americans do. Like 223 they say two-two-three but Americans say two-twenty-three.

i actually say eight thousand, eight hundred GTX :D.
In other languages u don't use the 88 hundred, like in german: achttausend, achthundert GTX

Eighty-eight-hundred jee-tee-ecks. Or, Eight-eighty-jee-tee-ecks if I'm in a hurry.

I think it should be two times four two times four zero zero gee tee xena

Now matter how you pronounce it, it's now an "eight hundred dollar...tee-hee hex"

Thanks to the... eighty-eight hundred gee tee.

To prevent confusion, we should start carrying cards with the name of various hardware components on them and just show them instead of talking aloud.

if you say G-T-X, you could be talking about an 8600 also.............

Theres no such thing as an 8600GTX. However, you could be talking about a 7800GTX or 7900GTX. It is assumed when you say GTX you mean "of the current generation" though.

I've been getting lazy lately so I just drop the hundred part now. :p

Eighty-Eight-G-T-X

Unfortunately, some of us are still running a 7800GTX (and still happy with it)........so if I just said 'GTX' they would think I had the posh one :D

same here, unless im talking to someone who knows nothing about computers, its GTX, GTS 640, GTS 320, or GT :p

That's what my friends and I use as well (except when talking about my cards you might well say "Obsoleteo 1000 GTX," the 7900 series is good but it's going to start to show its age (not counting lack of DX10) in a few months for me...

Back