ATI Readies Ultra High-End "R680" for THIS YEAR

My questions on the speed is looking at the price of $799, while the 3870XT's will be selling for like $200, will this new R680= 3900XT be 4 x 3870 fast :eek::eek:

I'd certainly hope the new 3800 is faster than the 8800 Ultra.

ATI needs to play catch-up. Same goes for AMD, for that matter. :p

You better pray that price is NOT Canadian considering the exchange rate is $1.08....

ATi doesnt need to compete CURRENT generation, they need to compete NEXT generation. theyve lost this round. the only thing that could help them is a profitable, powerful mid range card. thats IT.

the 3 series sure as hell better beat the shit out of the g80 series. it should beat the g90 (high end. not g92 which should be an 8 series... )

well in the article it is said that it will be priced similarly to the 8800 ultra, so hopefully it won't be more than $600.

If it's around $600 I might be temped, but it would really have to ass whoop my Ultra in Crysis.

If it is a killer part, my guess is that nVidia would likely pull the trigger on its next gen part before long.

Christ! I hope that's Canadian.

lol. Whys that? the Canadian dollar is up above the american dollar my friend. Its closed above par for the last couple weeks :p.

Why do you think we're suddenly buying all your crap?

anyways, hopefully to power this card I can shut down reactors 3 and 4 and only run on 1 and 2... Seriously I'm tired of thinking 1Kw PSUs are gonna become the norm.

lol. Whys that? the Canadian dollar is up above the american dollar my friend. Its closed above par for the last couple weeks :p.

anyways, hopefully to power this card I can shut down reactors 3 and 4 and only run on 1 and 2... Seriously I'm tired of thinking 1Kw PSUs are gonna become the norm.

LOL @ the 4th person in the thread to say that. Guess no one reads past the 3rd or 4th response in a thread now-a-days :p

LOL @ the 4th person in the thread to say that. Guess no one reads past the 3rd or 4th response in a thread now-a-days :p

naw, I read the reply, respond, then continue reading :p

but were damned proud of the fact that the cad dollar is worth more then an american dollar, you wouldn't believe some of the sh!t pricing one has to deal with up here sometimes.

Hopefully it doesnt suck as bad as the last highly anticipated release from ATI did.

naw, I read the reply, respond, then continue reading :p

but were damned proud of the fact that the cad dollar is worth more then an american dollar, you wouldn't believe some of the sh!t pricing one has to deal with up here sometimes.

;) I do the same thing. I respond as I go through the comments, then continue reading after making the comment.

If Fudzilla is right, and nVidia cant produce the 1TF card this year, ATI swooping in to save the day with a new King in 2007 would be big.

That could mean that allot of the boys who didn't go for the new GT, would now be giving their money to ATI who delivered the Crysis card.

Waiting past Christmas seems too much to ask.

All that time nVidia spent with the Crysis gang, and we might end up running Crysis on an ATI card! Aint that a kicker!

I hope it's is a Ultra killer. I'd gladly go back to ATi if it delivers.

nvidia prolly does have something to counter it.
let the battle begin

R680 is 2xR670 on one PCB.

Theorectically, you could have Octo-Crossfire on a 790FX board.

My questions on the speed is looking at the price of $799, while the 3870XT's will be selling for like $200, will this new R680= 3900XT be 4 x 3870 fast :eek::eek:

Is the the 8800 Ultra (~$600) = 2X8800GT (~250)?

Premium cards = premium price

You can't compare premium cards by multiplying mid range card prices. Just makes no sense.

Just read on; http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33904164&page=4

That slide is fake. RV670 is between 180-230$, R680 wont be anymore then $500 this December

I don't necessarily believe it's real either, but what the pricing alone doesn't mean it's fake.

Look where they had the 8800GT set.. they assumed it would be slower than the GTS since GT's typically were in the past. They have a big TBD next to it, since they didn't know how it was going to perform, but they assumed they could price the 3870 right under the GTS.

Maybe when the GT came out and they saw how powerful it was, they realized they had to crash prices to what we hear as the pricing today...

I hope it's is a Ultra killer. I'd gladly go back to ATi if it delivers.

Damned straight !!! Whoever gives me a true ULTRA killer gets my money,and I dont give a fuck if it 600 or even 700,I just want top end perfromance.I want a new card that comes out of nowhere like the GTX did last fall,and just owns everything. :cool:

I dont care who makes it.

Hmm, quite interesting. I for one Like my GTX, I currently get 16k in 3dmark06. Unless something new comes along and hits 20k in 3dmark06, ie a worthy upgrade, I will not even be thinking of spending $700 on a card. I guess time will tell, with the way my plans are at this time, I do not think it shall happen until Q3 2008.

Damned straight !!! Whoever gives me a true ULTRA killer gets my money,and I dont give a fuck if it 600 or even 700,I just want top end perfromance.I want a new card that comes out of nowhere like the GTX did last fall,and just owns everything. :cool:

I dont care who makes it.

Same here...I'm in.

I'm pretty sure stuff here still costs less.

These are good news if true. This will surely bring back some competition, which will benefit us all, in what prices are concerned. If a new kinf of the hill, in terms of graphics processing power, arrives, then the prices for everything else will lower.
I bet on the the rumor that it says this R680 is in a fact two GPUs in one PCB, similar to what the 7950 GX2 is. I am concerned though, with the power consumption and heat generation of this beast. ATI's efficiency in these two areas, has been very bad, for the last couple of years. Hopefully the RV670 chips @ 55 nm, solve these problems and allow heat generation and power consumption, to be within acceptable levels.

the 3800 series is not next generation, they are refreshes based on the R600. fyi.

These are good news if true. This will surely bring back some competition, which will benefit us all, in what prices are concerned. If a new kinf of the hill, in terms of graphics processing power, arrives, then the prices for everything else will lower.
I bet on the the rumor that it says this R680 is in a fact two GPUs in one PCB, similar to what the 7950 GX2 is. I am concerned though, with the power consumption and heat generation of this beast. ATI's efficiency in these two areas, has been very bad, for the last couple of years. Hopefully the RV670 chips @ 55 nm, solve these problems and allow heat generation and power consumption, to be within acceptable levels.

the R680 will use same or less power than a single R600.

Is the the 8800 Ultra (~$600) = 2X8800GT (~250)?

Premium cards = premium price

You can't compare premium cards by multiplying mid range card prices. Just makes no sense.

It depends on the cards. If you can get 2 8800GTs running SLI and it's more powerful than a single 8800 ULTRA, then you CAN compare two cards to one...

the 3800 series is not next generation, they are refreshes based on the R600. fyi.

Not according to recent rumors, where the 3870 is stated to be a new design, although ultimately based on R600. 3850 however, is just a die shrink.

the R680 will use same or less power than a single R600.

If that's true and the performance is twice of a single HD 2900 XT, then that's no doubt acceptable, but we have yet to see what RV670 has to offer, in terms of heat generation and power consumption, so we need to wait and see.

I'm pretty sure stuff here still costs less.

I don't think you're understanding the the concept properly. Of course stuff in the U.S. costs less. That's why we are buying all your stuff!!! Stuff has always cost less in the U.S. and now, even moreso.

If Fudzilla is right, and nVidia cant produce the 1TF card this year, ATI swooping in to save the day with a new King in 2007 would be big.

That could mean that allot of the boys who didn't go for the new GT, would now be giving their money to ATI who delivered the Crysis card.

Waiting past Christmas seems too much to ask.

All that time nVidia spent with the Crysis gang, and we might end up running Crysis on an ATI card! Aint that a kicker!

Agreed!:cool:

Back