DOS level CPU test

rhagz

Gawd
Does anyone know of a single CPU stress test that I can run from a floppy disk, bootable or not doesn't matter.

I need to test some CPUs and I won't have a CD drive to run Hirem's or whatever. Memtest is great for the memory of course, but I really need a CPU test moreso.

Any help would be awesome.

The problem is I don't have a CDROM on hand that is compatible with these motherboards, so I am just booting to a floppy.

Damn you SATA and your wider bus!

Hmm what about booting off of a USB stick? Most newer mobo's will have this option and there are a number of utilities you can use. I currently run Puppy Linux off of one of my USB sticks

Hmm what about booting off of a USB stick? Most newer mobo's will have this option and there are a number of utilities you can use. I currently run Puppy Linux off of one of my USB sticks

Booting off of a floppy, straight to a floppy. No HD or anything. I was just running some tests on motherboards and CPUs, seeing if they booted up and were stable. I just used memtest, it seemed to heat up the chips enough to determine if everything functioned.

you don't need a HD to run a live version of linux...and iirc, DSL (damn small linux) can boot off a floppy disk, in which case you can run prime95

memtest doesn't stress the CPU, it is not an accurate measurement of CPU performance under load. prime 95 is, both because it heats the CPU up and because it determines accuracy of computations performed.

Back