Core 2 Duo 2.66
8800 GT
2g RAM
Corsair HX520
Vista 32

I have:

- Installed the latest F6 BIOS,
- Updated the chipset drivers to the latest versions
- Installed all the Vista updates (including those recommended by nVidia)
- Uninstalled video driver/Run DriverCleaner/Installed nVidia 169.09

But for some reason my 3DMark06 score is running somewhere around 1100 (that's not a typo).

There has to be something I'm missing. I would be eternally gratefull for some ideas...

Oh yeah...and I didn't forget to plug in the PCI power to the card! :)

Just did a new build last night...

Gigabyte P35-DS3P (rev 2.0)
Core 2 Duo 2.66
8800 GT
2g RAM
Corsair HX520
Vista 32

I have:

But for some reason my 3DMark06 score is running somewhere around 1100 (that's not a typo).

There has to be something I'm missing. I would be eternally gratefull for some ideas...

Try playing a game and see how it runs.

I'm hoping this card lives up to expectations man,
We had bad card from bestbuy and hope next one is better

Just did a new build last night...

Gigabyte P35-DS3P (rev 2.0)
Core 2 Duo 2.66
8800 GT
2g RAM
Corsair HX520
Vista 32

I have:

I can't see anything that would cause an issue like that exceot that 3dmark06 is goofed. Try playing games and see what happens.

check your graphic interface under the mainboard setting in cpu-z,make sure its running at x16 for pci-express.

- x16 looks good for PCIe in cpu-z

- 1280x720 in Company of Heroes (auto settings) gets about 12 fps...that's the only game I've installed so far on this machine.

- Haven't installed a dual boot of XP yet, maybe later this week.

- I've also got another 8800GT coming for another machine that I might try and swap with the one in this machine to see what happens.

Anybody else? This is really frustrating!

- x16 looks good for PCIe in cpu-z

- 1280x720 in Company of Heroes (auto settings) gets about 12 fps...that's the only game I've installed so far on this machine.

- Haven't installed a dual boot of XP yet, maybe later this week.

- I've also got another 8800GT coming for another machine that I might try and swap with the one in this machine to see what happens.

Anybody else? This is really frustrating!

Processor is running at correct frequency in bios? Memory is running at the correct speed in bios? (can check both in CPU-z also).

Could you also host a DXDiag somewhere and PM it to me?

What are your CPU vs. your graphics scores in 3dmark. Could give some insight as to which arena the problem is in.

Check with GPUZ to see if your video card is detected. maybe its running off your Intergrated GPU. Are you connected to your monitor via VGA from your motherboard or via DVI from the graphics card? Make sure you disable the Intergrated graphics option in the BIOS.

- Here's the DXDiag output: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/21/1598517/DxDiag.txt

- Here's the 3dMark06 results:

3dmark: 1186
SM2: 410
SM3: 416
CPU: 2620

These were taken with a slight (2.6->3.0) overclock on the CPU. I get similar results without any overclock as well...

Here's the GPUZ output:

gpuz-out.jpg

The first post makes it seem like you didn't actually do a brand new, clean install of Vista. Is this correct?

It looks like it found something more recent to install...but it didn't fix the problem for me...

- Here's the DXDiag output: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/21/1598517/DxDiag.txt

- Here's the 3dMark06 results:

3dmark: 1186
SM2: 410
SM3: 416
CPU: 2620

These were taken with a slight (2.6->3.0) overclock on the CPU. I get similar results without any overclock as well...

Here's the GPUZ output:

gpuz-out.jpg

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

On the up side, 1100 in 3DMark06 could be a new world record for a GT seemingly running at above reference clocks.

You may well have the slowest GT in the entire world!

Wondering if there is a problem with that PCIE power connector, try pulling it off and see if anything changes speed wise, if it stays the same...

BTW, The card is a BFG OC2...thus the factory overclock.

I've tried de-clocking it but can't seem to get the settings to stick. Am I missing something special to change the settings (I was trying to reset to 600/900 via the nvidia control panel)?

I'll try the different PCI power plug on the PS and use a different cable as well (modular PS cabling). I'm hopelessly out of other options at this point except for trying other hardware and a different OS.

It's the video driver. Try older drivers and avoid 169 drivers and see. I think games should be running fine but the benchmark with 3dmark doesn't seem to like these drivers for your setup. Or else you will need to let Vista update all the patches. Did you update the Nvidia patches for Vista?

Is there a version or range of versions you suggest? And where can I get back level drivers from? I can't seem to find a link to them on nvidia's site...

Hmmm...found the link to the legacy drivers...but the page is down for maintenance...lol.

On another note...I just noticed that 169.12 is out (just came out in the last few hours it looks like). I'm going to try that next...

Hmmm...found the link to the legacy drivers...but the page is down for maintenance...lol.

On another note...I just noticed that 169.12 is out (just came out in the last few hours it looks like). I'm going to try that next...

I doubt its your drivers.Just try starting from scratch,remove your hardware,get everything in order,make sure everything is plugged in correctly ,reinstall OS.

You can give that 169.12 a try. If not try version 163 or 167.

But the only diff between the 169.12 and 169.09 is this:

- Beta driver for GeForce 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.
- Fixes a resume from Sleep/Hibernate issue with GeForce 8800 GT.
- Recommended driver for Crysis (no Crysis changes from Release 169.09).
- Users without English US operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.

Not sure it'll be any different.

I doubt its your drivers.Just try starting from scratch,remove your hardware,get everything in order,make sure everything is plugged in correctly ,reinstall OS.

Why would you want to do that? The easiest method is to try new drivers. I ran into a guy who had the same problem with drivers 169.04 and 169.09 and 3dmark06 shit brick on him giving just 1000 benchmark score. Driver 167.29 got him 6870. The guy had almost the same setup as javajaws except for the motherboard.

I've had no luck with 169.12 (I knew there was slim hope for it). Haven't found any older drivers yet either (links on nvidia's site are dead to the legacy drivers).

I'm going to set up a separate XP partition and see what happens with XP and the XP drivers.

You're doing something wrong, sorry dude.

I'm going to guess this is your first real PC build?

Anyhow, make sure you heatsink is making solid contact with your CPU.

Go into your BIOS and check the "Health" screen, make sure your temps are within expectations.

Many a new builders don't apply their heatink correctly and in turn get terrible results do to Intel's heat sensitive auto clock scaler.

You can litterally run a C2Duo with a heatsink at all and it will survive, it just slows down to crawl to keep from cooking itself.

If your heatink checks out, the only other problem is drivers, you're missing something, a motherboard driver, or not installing correct video card drivers, or something, there's got to be something along those lines creating this issue.

Keep at it, you'll figure it out. Trust me.

It's the video driver. Try older drivers and avoid 169 drivers and see. I think games should be running fine but the benchmark with 3dmark doesn't seem to like these drivers for your setup. Or else you will need to let Vista update all the patches. Did you update the Nvidia patches for Vista?

I have used 2 versions of 169X drivers on the GT and get 12K in 3dmark06, so i can't see it being version of drivers, not a 90% decrease in performance. Something to do with the Nvidia update patch maybe.

You're doing something wrong, sorry dude.

Anyhow, make sure you heatsink is making solid contact with your CPU.

he did post his 3Dmark CPU score and it looked ok for stock, so I pretty much discount this.

javajaws did you try another PCIE power connector yet? to eliminate it.

I have used 2 versions of 169X drivers on the GT and get 12K in 3dmark06, so i can't see it being version of drivers, not a 90% decrease in performance. Something to do with the Nvidia update patch maybe.

he did post his 3Dmark CPU score and it looked ok for stock, so I pretty much discount this.

javajaws did you try another PCIE power connector yet? to eliminate it.

Indeed, however, I am starting to get a feeling that a large part of how 3D Mark computes their CPU score is more based on what the CPUID reports back and not as much regarding actual performance.

As for the PCIE thing, it might be that, however, generally, when you don't have a power cable plugged into the video card, or a fully functional cable, the NVidia driver will pop up and tell you so, they're pretty good when it comes to that sort of thing.

I'm still going to bet on a heatsink contact issue, or perhaps a driver problem.

I'm curious as well...

Couple of obvious questions...

Does 3DMark say it's actually using the GeForce 8800 GT (under systems, and GFX on the first 3DMark screen)?

Have you been monitoring GPU temps to see what happens when 3DMark is being run?

Did you check if it's an unstable overclock? Try reducing both the GPU and memory to below stock levels and see what happens...

I'm going to guess this is your first real PC build?

Hardly...around the 6th from scratch. I may not be a hardware uber guru, but I am a software developer by trade...give me some credit here! :)

Anyway...after installing XP, new 169.09 drivers, and a reboot...I finally get something usefull: The nvidia dialog complaining of low power to the card. NEVER did I get this with Vista....nada, zilch.

So I'm now thinking I've got either a bad power supply (new), or a bad 8800GT (new as well). I've checked the power connection to the card...looks good. Used both PCI power jacks on the PS, different power cord, etc. And again for ref the PS is a Corsair hx520.

I'll have another 8800GT to test with next Monday. I'll also pick up another power supply this weekend at Fry's. SURELY one of these will fix the problem.

In the meantine...anybody know which utility (if any) shows the voltage the card is getting (out of curiosity)? And what the normal voltage should be?

Anybody know how to test the voltage of the PCI plug on the PS with a voltmeter?

Javajaws I had a similar problem. bfg8800gt overclock. 1100 3dmark06 score.

Problem is the card is operating in reduced functionality mode. My solution was to get a new psu. Do you have a spare psu to try out???

Ply

Javajaws I had a similar problem. bfg8800gt overclock. 1100 3dmark06 score.

Problem is the card is operating in reduced functionality mode. My solution was to get a new psu. Do you have a spare psu to try out???

Ply

Misery loves company, eh? :)

You would think something like this would show up in any number of the tools out there (including nvidia's own control panel). But I swear I can't find mention of being in this "safe mode" anywhere except for the dialog that got popped up under XP (but not in Vista).

I won't be able to try a new psu for a couple days...leaving town in the morning for the holiday. I'll post again when I get back in town and put in a new one.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sorry Nvidia drivers FTL. I use Vista64 and the drivers said nothing about the card being in reduced mode. Took me two weeks and a card rma before I figured it was my psu. And it is not because of a lack of power, but a communication problem between the card and psu...

Ply

Hardly...around the 6th from scratch. I may not be a hardware uber guru, but I am a software developer by trade...give me some credit here! :)

Anyway...after installing XP, new 169.09 drivers, and a reboot...I finally get something usefull: The nvidia dialog complaining of low power to the card. NEVER did I get this with Vista....nada, zilch.

So I'm now thinking I've got either a bad power supply (new), or a bad 8800GT (new as well). I've checked the power connection to the card...looks good. Used both PCI power jacks on the PS, different power cord, etc. And again for ref the PS is a Corsair hx520.

I'll have another 8800GT to test with next Monday. I'll also pick up another power supply this weekend at Fry's. SURELY one of these will fix the problem.

In the meantine...anybody know which utility (if any) shows the voltage the card is getting (out of curiosity)? And what the normal voltage should be?

Anybody know how to test the voltage of the PCI plug on the PS with a voltmeter?

Aha! Fantastic!

Software eh?

LOL... I work on the "inside" to and everyone I know who knows software inside and out don't even know how to install a CDROM drive.

So, yeah, the fact that you're putting together PC's get's my complete respect. For real.

Glad to hear it's the PSU though, perhaps the easiest to fix of all the problems.

That's really odd about Vista, as I mentioned in a prior post, the drivers will tell you if there's a problem with the power connection, and it appears I was right, however I have never heard of the Vista drivers not reporting that information.

Might be in your best interest to send your system specs to NVidia via email and let them know, they might not even be aware of it yet.

I have an EVGA 8800 GT superclocked, E4400 @ 2.83GHz with 2.0gb's ddr-2 800mhz on an Asus P5K. I'm getting 11489 on 3DMARK 06. I thought that the score was ok, what should we be getting in 3DMARK 06? I also ran the crysis benchmarks on XP using High settings @ 1280 X 720 with 4X AA. I got an average fps of 36 - 39.

EDIT: Sorry I read the post to quickly, I thought you were scoring 11,000 not 1100 :S I hope you figure out what's wrong with your system.

I think you guys are right about the PSU. Another guy replace it with his old PSU and now his 3dmark06 score is at 11000 from 1000 and 6000. I wouldn't say PSU is the problem. I think the card is the main problem.

New psu (PCP&C 610 Silencer), new 3DMark score: 11,263.

A little tweaking and overclocking of the CPU and everything should be running smoothly soon...

Back