Anyone folding with a Phenom yet?

Charlie_D

Gawd
Since all my systems are AMD boxes, these procs would be an easy upgrade path for quad-core goodness... just wondering if anyone has anything to share on how fast they fold :D

Charlie

IIRC, the barcelonas don't do too well with folding, compared to C2D/Q at least. Xtremesystems took a look at it... link

My Q6600 @ stock does better than that (~10 min frames), and that's only a bit better than my X2 @ 2.6 (~20 min frames). Compared to X2, 1.3 times the performance for 1.5 times the speed (really rough calculations; 20/15 vs (2*4)/(2.6*2)).

Whatever you decide to do, I would wait for the B3 stepping at least before thinking of an upgrade. There is simply too much performance uncertainty with the current crop of processors, in light of the TLB error that has been reported recently to consider upgrading this year. Wait it out and see how AMD responds with better chips first.

The TLB error is being blown out of proportion, it does not cause a performance penalty. It only hinders overclocking, from what I've read (and is the reason AMD launched at lower frequencies that were originally projected).

Yeah, I was going to wait on that actually; sure it only means something at higher frequencies... but I mean to push the thing to higher frequencies :)

From what I've read the Phenom is slightly slower then the Q2D doing the same task running at the same speed.
So if you cannot push the overclock due to this error then they are not as usefull.

Just my £0.02 worth.

Luck .............. :D

Unless it's coming from a pea who thought AMD is still in business :rolleyes:

charlie i see you have increased production, and are about to re-overtake me. ill have to see what i can come up with.

One of my systems was having severe problems while I evaluated Vista; half the time the folding client wouldn't start. That problem is (mostly) gone now... however, if you ramp up you will force me to step up my 'Destroy DeFex' campaign ;) New hardware... oh, the horror! Please, don't do it...! :D

I got a package in the mail yesterday.

From AMD.

A free t-shirt. For free. Did I mention it was free? :rolleyes:

On the t-shirt it had a huge AMD logo on the back. It says, "AMD Athlon 64." Do they still make Athlons? I thought "Phenom" was their new baby.

WTF?:mad:

Man, I used to get excited when they sent me Athlon case stickers in 2000 for free. They're really moving up.

One of my systems was having severe problems while I evaluated Vista; half the time the folding client wouldn't start. That problem is (mostly) gone now... however, if you ramp up you will force me to step up my 'Destroy DeFex' campaign ;) New hardware... oh, the horror! Please, don't do it...! :D

ok then :D congrats on passing 1/4 million!

Thanks :) Looks like I celebrated too soon though; the problem box decided to start acting up again. You're safe for a week or two... ;)

Waiting for the price drop, bought a 939 3800+ for $350 and the price dropped within the next month to $150...:(

But that's what I get, I do hope AMD gets a boost here soon.

get one of those new AMD chips and i might be forced to put FAH on a furby to counter it.

well? you better hurry. 300k tonight or tomorrow!

Waiting for the price drop, bought a 939 3800+ for $350 and the price dropped within the next month to $150...:(

But that's what I get, I do hope AMD gets a boost here soon.

I did the same exact thing, and I was pissed! Maybe that's how I became disinchanted with AMD... :(

As much as we all would like to see AMD succeed, there's really no compelling reason to purchase Phenom or any other AMD processor over Intel right now for a pure folding rig.

Back