Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM key work on a 64-bit install?

It should though you might have to call to activate.

Technically, it might work... but I thought the question was aimed more towards rather or not you could call and order a 64bit install disc from MS... which I don't think you can. OEM installs are considered a component of the computer, and I know that if the machine in question is a Dell/HP whatever, the manufacturer will not provide an upgrade.

I probably read too much into the OP, but I suppose that if you were able to obtain the install media, it might work, and if it's installed on the same hardware, you might not even need to call to activate...

But I don't think it's legal to do so..... of course, I could be wrong....

Yes, it does, just ask any of the people from the 2006 Intel Retailedge that got 2 cd keys and 2 discs, the cd keys work on either or version just fine.

I can also confirm that it will indeed work, though you'll almost certainly need to call to activate, since it defines your hardware based on certain ID information in drivers, and there's typically a difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit drivers. A 6 minute phone call isn't the end of the world though ;)

Yeah , wondering on strictly a new install ..not on getting a 64bit disc from ms , but if I had my own

..speaking of which , lol ..anybody have a 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate CD they could part with?

I guess pm me if you do :)

..and thanks for the info thus far guys

[F]old|[H]ard

Technically, it might work... but I thought the question was aimed more towards rather or not you could call and order a 64bit install disc from MS... which I don't think you can. OEM installs are considered a component of the computer, and I know that if the machine in question is a Dell/HP whatever, the manufacturer will not provide an upgrade.

I probably read too much into the OP, but I suppose that if you were able to obtain the install media, it might work, and if it's installed on the same hardware, you might not even need to call to activate...

But I don't think it's legal to do so..... of course, I could be wrong....

Yea you can't order the x64 media and I'm not to sure on how legal it is but it definitely works. All one has to do is download the x64 disk or even better borrow it from someone. To be honest though if MS really didn't want us doing this they could very well put an end to it whenever they wish to:)

Definitely works... I used my key last night Ultimate 32bit OEM key, with a 64 bit install last night...

lol ..can somebody send me a 64bit vista dvd .. :p

mine ..errr ...broke ...

Is it against rules here to buy just an OS disc with no license from somebody?

[F]old|[H]ard

lol ..can somebody send me a 64bit vista dvd .. :p

mine ..errr ...broke ...

Is it against rules here to buy just an OS disc with no license from somebody?

[F]old|[H]ard

just find a torrent and download it... nothing really illegal about it... you own a key for it.

just find a torrent and download it... nothing really illegal about it... you own a key for it.

Horrible idea. Chances are very high that any Windows OS image you buy is going to be pre-infected for you. Seen it dozens of times.

that is why I haven't even looked for a Vista 64 ISO online .. I'd rather pay for it than take a chance :(

Actually, it is illegal. Making a copy of any CD/DVD media for backup purposes is perfectly legit, but you can't distribute it to anyone, regardless of whether they're a legit "legal" owner of the actual OS itself too.

Back