HD38XX for AGP?

are there any companies commited to bringing the HD3850 or HD3870 to the AGP market?

I am still on agp and I want to wait one more year before a full system upgrade.

It'd be nice for you guys still on AGP, but I think we're starting to get into the realm of PCI-E only. All the new mobo's being manufactured are pci-e, and it seems like agp cards are just an after-thought now.

yeah agp is like dead. pcie 2.0 is starting to come out also. And i know we can't really utilize it right now but still.

It'd be nice for you guys still on AGP, but I think we're starting to get into the realm of PCI-E only. All the new mobo's being manufactured are pci-e, and it seems like agp cards are just an after-thought now.

Yeah, AGP is pretty much dead. Seems much better to just bite the bullet and get a pci-e system. The pci-e cards are actually cheaper then AGP's. Just not really worth it....

I consider AGP to be on it's last legs but not dead. in anycase, i am waiting on intel's next cpu. the name escapes me but it starts with an "N".

Well, it's the end of December. Has anyone seen any manufacturers advertising HD38xx AGP cards yet, or do we wait another month?

Here you go...

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?ProductID=1730

bigpic.asp

VisionTek is rumored to have plans for one as well.

Think it would be better to just go PCI-E. I can even imagine how gimped those AGP cards are starting to become.

-DarkLegacy

I hope someone will release one with the standard cooler. I'll need a single slot cooler with my case, and that monster on the Powercolor card certainly doesn't qualify.

P.S. Please don't clog this thread with "AGP is dead" like every other thread on the subject. We know you hate AGP, and we know why you think we should switch to PCI-E, so shut up.

depending on the price, im thinking of getting one. i just want something that doesnt put out as much heat and draw as much power as this damn 1950xt does.

I hope someone will release one with the standard cooler. I'll need a single slot cooler with my case, and that monster on the Powercolor card certainly doesn't qualify.

P.S. Please don't clog this thread with "AGP is dead" like every other thread on the subject. We know you hate AGP, and we know why you think we should switch to PCI-E, so shut up.

And dont forget, you can upgrade to PCIe for $50......[/scarcasm off]

If the price is right (meaning close to what the pci-e part costs) I MIGHT jump on one of these. Currently, I'm contemplating a whole system overhaul, but its the hassel of the whole thing that puts me off to it. I'm not like I used to be and salivate at the thought of a new system build. Now its more like "ahh shit, what if something goes wrong and then I gotta trouble shoot this or trouble shoot that...." Not my idea of fun anymore.

Woot! Now if I could only find it for sale... Has anyone found an online retailer with this product in stock? I e-mailed PowerColor about it, but haven't heard back from them yet.

And for those people who keep saying switch to PCI-e... why should I spend extra money on a new motherboard, new memory, new power supply and new case (because my old one is for a BTX (it's a first-gen Dell XPS)), when all I want is a new video card?

When I'm ready to buy a new computer, THEN I'll get PCI-e... 2.0 :) And tell you guys to upgrade to PCI-e 2.0 :)

If you would listen, your rig is so CPU limited that putting in a larger GFX card will hardly even help at all.

If you are on AGP, upgrade to PCIE cheaply. If you have to use a LGA775 Cedar mill and a PCI-E X850 than thats what you have to do man...

something about selling my current vid card to pay off the new one seems cheaper and easier then buying a new mobo, ram, and video card.

I have a PCIe X850XT I want to swap for an AGP one if that helps anyone looking to go AGP>PCIe :D

something about selling my current vid card to pay off the new one seems cheaper and easier then buying a new mobo, ram, and video card.

IT IS NOT FASTER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE NOW, YOU ARE CPU LIMITED BADLY

UPGRADING TO CORE 2 DUO ALONE WILL QUADRUPLE YOUR FPS

Just a reminder with regard to what the 1950 Pro AGP accomplished:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/01/agp-platform-analysis/page10.html

According to this review, the 1950 Pro AGP made an appreciable difference even on an Athlon 2500, even more on a 3400 (single cores).

I would conjecture that for some, the 3850 variant would be a viable alternative, provided the addition of the Realto chip doesn't increase the cost more than $20-$30.

Just a thought...

IT IS NOT FASTER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE NOW, YOU ARE CPU LIMITED BADLY

UPGRADING TO CORE 2 DUO ALONE WILL QUADRUPLE YOUR FPS

Wow, you managed to use all caps, and really big words (literally), and be wrong. Good job!

Unlike AGP, the X2 processors are still decently viable. Not great, but switching it out is hardly going to "quadruple your FPS" unless some idiot programmer left the recursion on.

Wow, you managed to use all caps, and really big words (literally), and be wrong. Good job!

Unlike AGP, the X2 processors are still decently viable. Not great, but switching it out is hardly going to "quadruple your FPS" unless some idiot programmer left the recursion on.

well that, and if for no other reason then its cooler, smaller, and draws less power then the damn TEC cooler on the 1950xt.

oh, and using fhpchris logic, ill be pulling about 140fps in crysis, 480fps in the CSS benchmark, and about 200fps in COD4, just by going to a simple C2d

According to this review, the 1950 Pro AGP made an appreciable difference even on an Athlon 2500, even more on a 3400 (single cores).

I would conjecture that for some, the 3850 variant would be a viable alternative, provided the addition of the Realto chip doesn't increase the cost more than $20-$30.

Just a thought...

ROFL, it does not even break 40 fps...

AT 1024x768 ROFL

Garbage :[

oh, and using fhpchris logic, ill be pulling about 140fps in crysis, 480fps in the CSS benchmark, and about 200fps in COD4, just by going to a simple C2d
Your max res is 1600x1200.

My X1950 rig with a 3.8ghz E6600 on air pulled ~230 fps in CSS test with 4xaa and 8xaf at that same resolution.

You get 120? ROFL? Ouch.

A single 8800 series card will give ~230+ fps with those settings on a "real" cpu with the VGA running stock...

Yes, you are VERY cpu limited.

ROFL
ROFL
Garbage
ROFL? Ouch.

Dude, you're going on ignore before your mouth diarrhea kills any more brain cells. I need to save them so the alcohol can do that.

By the way, I hope you're folding on that X1950! Very few GPUs are usable for GPU-based folding, and those cards are the top notch ones. Not as good if you have a gimped 256MB version, very good if you have the full 512MB version. GPU folding is only able to work on a specialized subset of the work the Stanford team is doing, but they're very fast at the ones they can do.

ROFL, it does not even break 40 fps...

AT 1024x768 ROFL

Garbage :[

Your max res is 1600x1200.

My X1950 rig with a 3.8ghz E6600 on air pulled ~230 fps in CSS test with 4xaa and 8xaf at that same resolution.

You get 120? ROFL? Ouch.

A single 8800 series card will give ~230+ fps with those settings on a "real" cpu with the VGA running stock...

Yes, you are VERY cpu limited.

If a 1950 Pro can pull close to 40fps in what is even by current standards a rather "taxing" game (Oblivion), then perhaps the 3850 can pull close to 60, which for folks who won't or can't start with a complete new build and must suffice with a past-generation cpu of decent speed and capability, would find acceptable. It depends on the price/performance ratio or value, which we'll find out more about in any review that might be published. Most people buying such a card would in all likelihood have a great appreciation for the equipment you have, but perhaps cannot afford such a rig and have to opt out for a more economic and time-saving solution.

Dude, you're going on ignore before your mouth diarrhea kills any more brain cells. I need to save them so the alcohol can do that.

By the way, I hope you're folding on that X1950! Very few GPUs are usable for GPU-based folding, and those cards are the top notch ones. Not as good if you have a gimped 256MB version, very good if you have the full 512MB version. GPU folding is only able to work on a specialized subset of the work the Stanford team is doing, but they're very fast at the ones they can do.

I sold my X1950 stuff over a year and a half ago.
I already sold the 8800s that I upgraded to...

agp is slow.

I am amazed that I actually had my 8800GTXs from launch day to last week...

If you have a 4800+, then just get a 939 board that is NF4, but if your still on S478, time to get something newer in the CPU area...

not exactly comparing apples to apples here are you? im sure wed all be doing slightly better here too if we OCd our cpus by 1/3rd.

Most people buying such a card would in all likelihood have a great appreciation for the equipment you have, but perhaps cannot afford such a rig and have to opt out for a more economic and time-saving solution.

also a very good point. i spent way too much buying top of the line things some years ago only to have them be worth half that in 6 months. never again.

this entire system, not counting HDs, optical, or case cost me a total of..

100 for ram ( 4 years ago, carried over to 2 different systems)
50 for mobo
100 for cpu and HS
180 for the video card
grand total - 430.00

that is one hell of a budget system that can play every game i throw at it maxed out, with several exceptions. mainly crysis.

Just a thought...

I couldn't agree more. Depending on the price this may be another great AGP card like the X1950 Pro for those that wish to keep their AGP Systems going for various reasons which are not always monetary.

It took me forever to move to PCI-E myself and the primary reason was I knew it was going to be a royal pain in the ass when I did it. Then the secondary reason was I had a relatively high-end AGP system which was doing fairly well, and then last was the financial part of the whole thing. As I previously said though, I think the biggest part holding me back was the hassle. On my old AGP/XP box I was running a ton of regular apps which were all tweaked just the way I liked them. My son had 50 + installed games a lot of which were using No-CD cracks and Disk Image Emulation software, my daughter had another 25 or so, and I had 20 games of my own. Took me weeks if not a month to get the new system back and config'ed like the old one. Yeah, I always enjoy building a new Rig, but the install was hell.

On the positive side, I'm extremely happy with the end results, the new rig is great, and I wish I'd done it sooner, pain in the ass and all.

However, I still won't force-feed anyone PCI-E if they don't want to eat or tell them they're stupid for not doing so.

I couldn't agree more. Depending on the price this may be another great AGP card like the X1950 Pro for those that wish to keep their AGP Systems going for various reasons which are not always monetary.

It took me forever to move to PCI-E myself and the primary reason was I knew it was going to be a royal pain in the ass when I did it. Then the secondary reason was I had a relatively high-end AGP system which was doing fairly well, and then last was the financial part of the whole thing. As I previously said though, I think the biggest part holding me back was the hassle. On my old AGP/XP box I was running a ton of regular apps which were all tweaked just the way I liked them. My son had 50 + installed games a lot of which were using No-CD cracks and Disk Image Emulation software, my daughter had another 25 or so, and I had 20 games of my own. Took me weeks if not a month to get the new system back and config'ed like the old one. Yeah, I always enjoy building a new Rig, but the install was hell.

On the positive side, I'm extremely happy with the end results, the new rig is great, and I wish I'd done it sooner, pain in the ass and all.

However, I still won't force-feed anyone PCI-E if they don't want to eat or tell them their stupid for not doing so.

Good to hear from you honestjohn! I too have since upgraded two of my home machines to PCIe P965 motherboards, E6600s, 8800 640s, one with XP Pro, the other with Vista Ultimate (which are already outdated). Both were laborious projects with regard to getting them set up according to my preferences, programs, files, virus protection and the like, and yes a pain in the rear to set up like I wanted. The third, is a D865 Intel PERLL with a 3.2 P4 Northy which just keeps on plugging and carries a VisionTek 1950 Pro AGP managed through XP Pro. I enjoy tinkering with this ol' box as it continues to serve many functions, including some gaming.

According to Steam's latest survey summary (December 29th, 2007), PCIe 4X/8X/16X comprise roughly 63% of the graphics cards, while AGP 4X/8X is down to about 31%. If these figures are representative of gamers' boxes as a whole, there are still hundreds of thousands of AGP users out there that will take notice of the 3850. Another interesting statistic is that 76% of the Steam Survey respondents still use monitors with 4:3 aspect ratios, with 72% using resolutions of 1024x768 or 1280x960 - both well within the capabilities of a 3850 and acceptable for many of the latest games, except perhaps Crysis. For those who choose to go this route, it's just a matter of plugging it in, no reloading operating systems, programs, product keys, files, and installing drivers for other system hardware parts, or incurring the additional expenses for a new motherboard, memory, etc. Thus for some, AGP is still a viable option.

And finally, your last sentence is particularly noteworthy, well expressed, and reflects my sentiments as well!

However, I still won't force-feed anyone PCI-E if they don't want to eat or tell them they're stupid for not doing so.

Unless you're changing O/S there is no need to do a clean install. You can replace the whole rig including the HDD, just clone the old drive to the new, ensure you're running on generic drivers for the important bits and have the correct drivers for the new components ready on a CD/floppy/USB drive, and then just build the new rig and power on, to safe mode if necessary. Install the new drivers, reboot and all should be fine. I've migrated the same install to a whole new rig myself and have had no problems except needing to re-activate Windows. However I'm putting off going to Vista for similar reasons to you; I have over 100 games installed, updated, customised and no-CD patched and I'm just not going through putting them all back on there when none of them need Vista anyway and only one, Bioshock, would benefit in any way.

Unless you're changing O/S there is no need to do a clean install. You can replace the whole rig including the HDD, just clone the old drive to the new, ensure you're running on generic drivers for the important bits and have the correct drivers for the new components ready on a CD/floppy/USB drive, and then just build the new rig and power on, to safe mode if necessary. Install the new drivers, reboot and all should be fine. I've migrated the same install to a whole new rig myself and have had no problems except needing to re-activate Windows. However I'm putting off going to Vista for similar reasons to you; I have over 100 games installed, updated, customised and no-CD patched and I'm just not going through putting them all back on there when none of them need Vista anyway and only one, Bioshock, would benefit in any way.

Thanks JD, but I also moved from XP to Vista which was another trip. Switched to Vista for work related reasons primarily. As far as cloning drives go and just installing drivers after the fact, I've tried that a few times over the past 13 years on my home computer and I've found that sometimes it works but more often than not it doesn't and I would definitely not recommend doing it that way. On more than one occasion I was left with an unbootable system doing it the "easy" way as you described, and on another occasion I had a system which appeared to be working just fine but would randomly reboot itself once a day at various times. After a clean install the issues went away.

Also for the record I've been in the business for 13 years and part of my job is creating images as well as cloning workstations and laptops. We prepare an image with the base OS for each type of workstation and laptop we use in our company and we do so for very good reasons. Also for the record I hate when people trot out their credentials, but in this case I thought it was appropriate.

If you have an agp Athlon 64 3500+, Athlon X2, Intel P4 3.2 Ghz or better system the HD3850 will be an great upgrade and will give your aging PC new life.

Ignore PC elitists, and the agp naysayers.

And the idea of replacing a motherboard without doing a clean install makes me cry. Seriously, I've had the pleasure of fixing this issue on a few occasion from people that thought they were so smart. The driver/file/program/registry issues that occur doing this can't be accounted for. Different motherboard chipsets rarely play nice together. Then customers complain, "why is my new PC so slow," or "why is my new PC full of errors."

Woot! Now if I could only find it for sale... Has anyone found an online retailer with this product in stock? I e-mailed PowerColor about it, but haven't heard back from them yet.

And for those people who keep saying switch to PCI-e... why should I spend extra money on a new motherboard, new memory, new power supply and new case (because my old one is for a BTX (it's a first-gen Dell XPS)), when all I want is a new video card?

When I'm ready to buy a new computer, THEN I'll get PCI-e... 2.0 :) And tell you guys to upgrade to PCI-e 2.0 :)

Powercolor came out with the 3850 AGP. DX10.1 card! Too bad its not the 3870.

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/pro...ProductID=1730

Availability in January, pending driver release.

And maybe more powerful agp cards from ati coming out in the future?

Powercolor came out with the 3850 AGP. DX10.1 card! Too bad its not the 3870.

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/pro...ProductID=1730

Availability in January, pending driver release.

And maybe more powerful agp cards from ati coming out in the future?

interesting but i won't belive it until i see it on newegg and even then the price will also matter. $300....no. $250.....maybe. $200...yes. $150.....i'll take two please.

Back