My 8800GT barely overclocks at all :(

LordBritish

2[H]4U
I got an evga 8800GT SC.

The maximum overclock on the shader is 1650 - the default is 1625.

My memory also does not like to overclocked at all - 950 is the default and that's where it is now.

The core is up to 720 (from the default of 650).

Do I have a defective card ?

Yes, i have the fan turned up.

There's a bios voltmod that has helped others to OC higher, I can't seem to get it to work on my BFG card. My gpu core actually only runs at 710 stable; I can push it to 720 and it will crash in games!

Not being able to overclock does NOT mean you have a defective video card.... you were sold a video card that does the speed it says it does, even if it doesn't do 1 mhz over, but runs fine at default speeds, you do NOT have a defective card.

Anyways, you can volt mod if you want to void your warranty, if not, then be happy with whatever you can overclock with or you're SOL.

That's nice but it doesn't help me.

Your card is already overclocked. From the evidence we have seen in this forum, the factory overclocked cards seem no better than the stock GT's for max overclock results.

Its basically luck, I would however suggest you change your cooler first before even thinking about a hardware volt mod. Some people have reported better overclocks with a after market cooler (and its better anyway).

Have you tried setting the fan to 100% just to test if it helps?

your jokeing right..I see people OC the hell out of these cards.

And these people represent the majority of 8800GT owners?

People who are having issue with hardware make posts
People who have huge success with hardware make posts

The rest of the people typically don't post.

My EVGA 8800GT SC will not do 700 core, but hits 1000 on the mem and almost 1800 shaders no problem. I researched the soft mod for voltage last night but got stuck waiting to go get a floppy disk. The advice floating around to use Nero and create a boot disk failed for me. And yes, I have floppies but every single one fails to format and copy files as they are old. The winflash latest version can't recognize our 8800GT's.

LordB: You need to create a boot floppy to bring up DOS on your machine. Run nvflash (latest 5.57) to save BIOS. Go to windows and run NiBiTor to edit the file for voltage profile VID3 1.1V and save as new name. Go back to boot into DOS and flash card with new BIOS. Specifics can be found at mvktech.net or this thread

Your choice of words are stupid and your card is clearly not defective.

It works fine and dandy at ALREADY OC speeds.

So what if you weren't as lucky as a few others out there who manages to OC higher, and you clearly know thats its luck of the draw.

Stop crying like a baby and put on some big boy pants.

I just got a leadtek and it clocks 750/1782/2020 no vmod. So I would be kinda pissed too. Like most I have ever seen go past 700.....hmm what temps you getting

Whats the process of oc'ing a video card? Do you just start with the core and keep bumping till you get artifacts in ati tool? Then do the same with the shaders and memory? :confused:

I like to start with the core, Unlink it from the shaders.....then max the shader clock with core at stock, because it will give you the largest performance increase...then I do core then memory.

OK, got the volt mod done and went from <690 core stable to >730 stable and still climbing.

I'm at 730/1728/975 passing 3Dmark06 so far. This volt mod is the real thing.

If your card works at stock speeds but does not OC its definetly NOT defective. So don´t even bother trying to RMA it, you will just get it back.

There is no "easy" Volt mod guide for Nvidia card, but there are good instructions below:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31418&

or the general guide for all kinda video card flashing:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11

ps. To me the easiest way seems to be the USB stick method. You make a bootable USB stick according to instructions in the general guide, copy the needed files to the stick and follow instructions in the other thread. Also you should notice that you might need a PCI 3D card for the job, if something goes wrong, without one you have to do the flashing again "blind".

BTW. I have not owned a Nvidia card in about 5-6 years now, so anybody who has already doned this should correct me if Iam wrong. But basicly its just following the instructions, not exactly "chimp easy", but I doubt you will find better/easier instructions than those :)

How do u do this voltmod?

I need instructions that a chimp can follow.

Here's what I did, took 10 minutes:

1) Created a bootable floppy using this, just run in windows with floppy in drive: Bootable Floppy Maker or the main site bootdisk.com

2) Download and run this, .nvFlash 5.57 from here mvtech page for nvFlash 5.57, it unzips to two files. Run the nvFlash.v5.57.exe file and it unzips again. Drag files (cwsdpmi.exe, nvflash.exe) from the last unzip directory onto floppy

3) Reboot PC with floppy in drive, set floppy as first boot device in BIOS. The A:\ prompt shows up.
You will type: "nvflash --save orig.rom" (that's a double dash, and the file name orig.rom is your original video bios being saved)

4) Eject the floppy and reboot into windows. Re-insert floppy and copy orig.rom to somewhere you can find it later.

5) Download and install NiBiTor 3.6 from here mvtech NiBiTor 3.6 page

6) Run NiBiTor, got to menu File>Open BIOS and select your orig.rom. Navigate to the 'Voltages' tab, then 'Exact Mode' tab. In the drop-down for 'Extra' select 1.1V.

7) Got to menu File>Save BIOS and create a new name like voltmod.rom. Exit NiBiTor and copy your voltmod.rom to the floppy.

8) Reboot PC with floppy inserted and you're back to A:\. Type "nvflash voltmod.rom" . It will ask you if you're sure, so make up your mind and type Y if you are sure. When it's done eject the floppy and reboot.

9) Retry overclocking beyond your previous limit.

My advice is to read the other links provided by sam0t and then use this chimp list as a reference for our particular voltmod. You can also edit the Clockrates tab to put your safe overclock permanently into the BIOS so rivatuner isn't always running. Up to you. Good Luck.

Thx for those simple instructions.

I did the VoltMod !!

So simple, a caveman can do it!

thGeicoCaveman.jpg

I don't have results yet but preliminary testing shows that temps are higher which means the voltage has increased.

OK, I got some results it but they're not final

710 Core, 1730 shader, 950 mem was error free in ATI tool for 8+ hours.

Now trying for 740 Core, 1750 Shader - it's running as I type so we'll see how it does.

You really should overclock each one independently so you know what is causing the problem when you get it.

thats a decent oc.. some cant handle higher then that becuase of the memory just doesnt oc well, yet others can hit a higher oc on the mem..

are you guys using ati tool to check to scan for artificats after o/c?

Without voltmod I can only push my card to 702/1728/950 without any artificats, you make me jealous :) I'm tempted to do it, but I don't want to void my lifetime warranty. S1 is on the way so I'll try again to o/c once again once I install it.

Yup, I run ATITool to check for stability. It's a soft voltmod so it won't void your warranty...

Are you sure? :confused: WHat happens if you video card goes dead (with softmod/voltmod) and you send it to XFX/EVGA? I'm pretty sure they will know that the card was softmoded, which would void the warranty? am I missing something? Perhaps I'll start a new topic on this. :D

You think your card is a dud, I spent huge bucks on my 8800 Ultra that won't even do above 650mhz without issues. Talk about a cock in the mouth. The Ultra's are pretty much guaranteed late 600's to early 700's on the core. Not mine.

I have just volt mod my card and my temps have not even risen by a degree (I am using a S1 Arctic Cooler with turbo fans), yet my overclocks and temps are stable at:

saoz2.jpg

21387945rx8.jpg

I plan to nail over 800 core and push the shader past 1900.

Here is a 3dmark06 benchmark all on air with the new settings:

clipboard01nj6.jpg

My Palit 8800gt (stock cooler) is idle=53, load=75C (60% fan). Riva tuner is used to control temps.

I used ATi tool and tested for about 15 minutes to find a max core. it could barely break 700. Memory overclock is fine, around 1010.

today i ran FEAR @ 670/970 but it crashed. I ran crysis at those #'s but it was fine.

So, i've read overclocks of 25% for the GT but using after market coolers. Should i EXPECT better overclocks if i replace the cooler? Is it the heat that's holding back the overclock? Are GT's like intel cpu cooling..that some ppl get lucky, some don't?

Quick question, how exactly can you tell if your voltmod worked? I mean I followed Staypuft's instructions as well as Blue Falcon's BIOS flash with a USB (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260590) yet after I typed in "nvflash voltmod101.rom" (the file name with volt at 1.1v) it just asked me to push enter multiple times until it went back to C:\. Not knowing if it worked or not I tried to overclock my card higher then its previous value yet I was unable too (artifacts were scene within seconds). Thinking I did not do it correctly I booted from USB once again and again typed in nvflash voltmod101.rom" but this time an error showed up. I tried typing it once again and the same error popped up. So I typed in "orig.rom" and it asked me to confirm whether I wanted to switch back and I just typed in "n".

So I will try to repeat the whole process again and whether I get it to work or not, is it possible what voltage your gpu is running at?

Edit*: After reverting back to original BIOS and repeating the entire process all over again, I got it to work! It asked me if I wanted to revert to this new settings and I said yes. Unfortunately, when I tried to overclock higher, instead of being able too overclock higher, it seemed like I was unable to even reach my old highest overclock! I mean I have a 8800gt scc (already at 700/1728/1000) and was able to overclock it to 761/1859/1079 (I have an accelero s1 as well as the turbo module on) and was able to run it on ATITool for 5 min with no errors or artifacts (I only ran for 5 min because wanted to see if it was stable enough to the point where I could run 3dmark06 succesffully then move on higher, past 761/1859/1079, any increase would result in 3dmark06 freezing up). I also only got my accelero s1 yesterday so i have only been able to seriously try to overclock it yesterday (I also had two midterms yesterday... so couldn't exactly spend alot of time on overclock) and so haven't really had the chance to run ATITool for a few hours. Before the BIOS flash, at 771, I would receive an error/artifact in about 20 sec. After the BIOS flash, at 771, I would receive an error instantly. I checked to make sure that I set 1.1v and I did.

Is there a particular reason why after the BIOS flash I cannot overclock as high as before it? I mean is there any way I can check my gpu voltages so I can check the voltage before the flash (the original BIOS) and after the 1.1v flash?

It's really luck of the draw.

I have a BFG OC2 that will do 740/1860/1050 out of the box with no problems, and that is before the bios volt mod which I haven't even tried on this card. I also have an XFX Alpha Dog that wouldn't even do 675 core without the volt mod. With the volt mod, 720 is about the maximum it will handle. I have heard of EVGA SC's that do 790/1080 out of the box but those are very hard to find, it's very random. Every card is different. The only guarantee you get is that it should run at the speeds it comes with from factory or you should return and RMA.

And a note to those flashing bioses...you are supposed to use nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 newbios.rom
If your card doesn't boot after flashing, have a PCI card handy or integrated video to boot from so you can flash your original bios back.

Quick question, how exactly can you tell if your voltmod worked? I mean I followed Staypuft's instructions as well as Blue Falcon's BIOS flash with a USB (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260590) yet after I typed in "nvflash voltmod101.rom" (the file name with volt at 1.1v) it just asked me to push enter multiple times until it went back to C:\. Not knowing if it worked or not I tried to overclock my card higher then its previous value yet I was unable too (artifacts were scene within seconds). Thinking I did not do it correctly I booted from USB once again and again typed in nvflash voltmod101.rom" but this time an error showed up. I tried typing it once again and the same error popped up. So I typed in "orig.rom" and it asked me to confirm whether I wanted to switch back and I just typed in "n".

So I will try to repeat the whole process again and whether I get it to work or not, is it possible what voltage your gpu is running at?

Edit*: After reverting back to original BIOS and repeating the entire process all over again, I got it to work! It asked me if I wanted to revert to this new settings and I said yes. Unfortunately, when I tried to overclock higher, instead of being able too overclock higher, it seemed like I was unable to even reach my old highest overclock! I mean I have a 8800gt scc (already at 700/1728/1000) and was able to overclock it to 761/1859/1079 (I have an accelero s1 as well as the turbo module on) and was able to run it on ATITool for 5 min with no errors or artifacts (I only ran for 5 min because wanted to see if it was stable enough to the point where I could run 3dmark06 succesffully then move on higher, past 761/1859/1079, any increase would result in 3dmark06 freezing up). I also only got my accelero s1 yesterday so i have only been able to seriously try to overclock it yesterday (I also had two midterms yesterday... so couldn't exactly spend alot of time on overclock) and so haven't really had the chance to run ATITool for a few hours. Before the BIOS flash, at 771, I would receive an error/artifact in about 20 sec. After the BIOS flash, at 771, I would receive an error instantly. I checked to make sure that I set 1.1v and I did.

Is there a particular reason why after the BIOS flash I cannot overclock as high as before it? I mean is there any way I can check my gpu voltages so I can check the voltage before the flash (the original BIOS) and after the 1.1v flash?

You're doing something really very wrong. nvflash should show your graphics adapter and the current bios and the one you want to replace it with. It should ask you if you want to continue, you hit Y and the progress bar will appear with a few dots until finished. See http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWpiWUJte4. Personally I'm not a big fan of booting via USB, I still keep a floppy around because it is still useful for so many things.

Are you using somebody else's bios intead of editing your own with nbitor??? Are you putting the 1.1v in the extra row?

A BIOS mod most DEFINITELY WILL void your warranty. It's no different really to a solder/wire mod. Whether they'd be able to detect it or not if the card actually dies, who knows, but if it at all boots, ie: massive visual corruption or something -- well then you're SOL.

I'm wondering about all of this vmod junk since I can OC over my factory oc by a little, and go artifact free in atitool and that one fur rendering stress test, but often times in games like CoD4 and GoW I get the dreaded 'red dots/snow' and the lock up, I'd assume a stress test would be far more demanding than some random fps, but in-game is the only time I ever get massive lockups and crashes.

I think it's the RAM as most of the lockups occur when RAM is close to 2000mhz (up from 1900 factory), but would the vmod improve my RAM's stability or am I SOL due to ram limitations (supposedly)?

Oh ya, I have aftermarket cooling (check sig).

Anyone knows if this can be done to the GTS g92 core?

If yes, then what voltages do we have to set it too? Whats the default voltage?

If your card artifacts at lets say 700 core then increasing the voltage will make those artifacts go away?

Back