Manual says Gigabit - System says 100baseTX?

phong

n00b
Hey folks,

I was just on the line with D-Link about my DGL-4500 and my PowerMac G5 not getting along.

Their initial suspicion was that I didn't have Gigabit ethernet. I was convinced that I do and sure enough, everymac.com says my machine came with Gigabit standard and my manual says I should have 10/100/1000 Mbps twisted-pair Ethernet networking capability... whatever the hell that means. I just know as long as there a "1000" in there I should be good.

Now, my System Profiler says my Built-In Ethernet sub-type is 100baseTX. That confuses and worries me a little because 100baseTX isn't Gigabit is it? :confused:

Have I gone 3 years with a non-gigabit ethernet port? :eek:

On the plus side, if that's the case then D-Link's reco of buying a DGE-530T network card to slap in my G5 should allow me to use the DGL-4500.

Have you checked in netowork connections?

Windoze tends to retard up occasionally.

Do you have any other Gig computers?

Do you have a gigabit cable? Regular CAT5 cables rarely work for that. I believe you need a CAT5E or CAT6 cable, can anyone confirm?

Do you have a gigabit cable? Regular CAT5 cables rarely work for that. I believe you need a CAT5E or CAT6 cable, can anyone confirm?

It should work provided all the pins are connected.

Windoze tends to retard up occasionally.

Its a good thing its his *MAC* that is "retarded" in this scenario. Good job bashing Microsoft there champ.

Anywho, CAT 5 does support 1000Base T. While It has been some time since I fooled around with Mac OS Networking tools I believe, like Windows there should be an option within the actual network connection to define the speed type.

Or perhaps, your Mac is defaulting down to 100 due to saftey issues? I'd be interested to know what solution you find to this. Off to Google around for a potential answer.

--
Thinking a little more, it might be your Router. If I recall from an article I read a while back (though it might have had to do with a Dlink Switch), if there was any 10/100 device connected to it, the entire thing would switch down to 10/100. That could be what happened. Though, it seems a bit far streched to say that. Grr...

I didnt research the router in question but if its a new model its shouldnt 'down switch' and should auto negotiate based on the endpoint.
So port 1 has a 10/100 connection and port 2 has a 1000 the whole switch portion of the router shouldnt go down to 100.
That would suck big time.

it shouldnt 'down switch' and should auto negotiate based on the endpoint.

Auto speed negotiation fails more often than you might think.

Set the switch (if managed) manually to 1000 and the computer manually to 1000. Also try a different cable. Report back.

Whoa... lots of replies. Thanks!

As noted, I am on a Mac. G5 tower. My System Profiler says under Ethernet: Media Subtype: 100baseTX

I've tried different cables including the one that came with my router so I don't think that's the problem.

And I know it's not the router because I can connect via hardwire to my Intel based MacBook (for which the Ethernet Media type is "autoselect").

I just check in my Network Utility and found my ethernet Link Speed is listed at 100Mb. Dang.

Ah well, off to Futureshop I go to get a network card. Will post the results.

Thanks again for any replies.

Auto speed negotiation fails more often than you might think.

Set the switch (if managed) manually to 1000 and the computer manually to 1000. Also try a different cable. Report back.

Hey archivalbackup, I was mid-reply when you posted this.

See above regarding the cables. The ones I'm currently using are Cat6. I switched the one coming from my router to the supplied and still no dice.

I don't know how to manually set my ethernet port on my computer or if I even can.

I'll look into your suggestions though.

Safety issues? WTF?

Also, how many Windoze computers and servers do you work with?

More of a long shot idea than anything. I did not claim that was the issue. In anycase, its a good thing I am not the Support System Analyst Jr for a "Windoze" network, and rather the Support Systems Analyst Jr for a "Windows" network. I have no clue what this "Windoze" OS you speak of is.

At the OP:

I just check in my Network Utility and found my ethernet Link Speed is listed at 100Mb. Dang.

A little snooping in the Network Settings always helps don't it. :D Glad you found out the issue mate. Best of luck getting it to work. Seems a bit odd they'd have it listed on the site/manual as a gigabit ethernet, and then have no option to force it to that rating. Doh!

Well, it turns out my Ethernet port isn't the issue. I tried plugging the DGL in directly (by mistake actually) and it showed as being 1000BaseT in my System Profiler.

I just purchased a DGE-530T and installed it. Sadly, my G5 doesn't recognize that there is a card installed in the PCI slot. The slot is fine as well as I had a another card in there previously that was working fine. I suppose maybe the card is toast... I barely have it in me to go exchange it for another one though.

Man this is getting frustrating. All I want is a pretty blue display on my router... is that too much to ask? :D

Safety issues with Gig ethernet? :rolleyes:

OP
Go and exchange the card.

Go and exchange the card.

Yeah, I might, but I might just return it. I know for sure that my built-in is gigabit ready so I'm starting to lose confidence that I'll be able to get this router working on a G5.

Macworld is around the corner anyhow and then it'll be 8core MacPro time.

Apple had gigabit long before anyone else did, so I think the odds are pretty good that you do.

Do you have the M number off the box? It can be looked up to be sure.

Also, that report may be based on what mode the NIC is IN, not what it supports.

If this is the case, I have indeed seen problems where a system reports only a 100Mbit connection when connected to a Gigabit network. The cause?

Bad cable. I swapped the cable and the system reported Gigabit.

Given your port cycling issue as well, it's certainly worth it to make sure you have a good CAT-5E cable in place.

check the settings in the router. I know in my dlink(4300) router there is a setting that you set the ports to either auto or 10/100 or 10/100/1000. If I remember correctly some firmware patch awhile ago set it to 10/100 by default. Also check to make sure its not the cable. I have had a cable go bad on me and make the speed lower.

Given your port cycling issue as well, it's certainly worth it to make sure you have a good CAT-5E cable in place.

Thanks very much for the reply TechLarry. I suppose I could give all fresh cables I shot, but I'm still left wondering why it is that my Intel MacBook connects to the DGL without issue using the exact same cables.

I'm looking at my MacBook's Network Utility right now that states it is connected via Ethernet and the Link speed is 1Gb. System Info on the router indicates a secure, non-cycling hardwire connection.

:confused::confused::confused:

check the settings in the router. I know in my dlink(4300) router there is a setting that you set the ports to either auto or 10/100 or 10/100/1000. If I remember correctly some firmware patch awhile ago set it to 10/100 by default. Also check to make sure its not the cable. I have had a cable go bad on me and make the speed lower.
Hey Duster, for the short time that I can actually manage to get the DGL to see my G5, it shows as being 1000BaseT as it does on my MacBook (1Gb). The 100baseTX in my thread title was, thankfully, a false alarm.

Thanks for the post!

I'm pretty much convinced it's a PPC thing. The only other possibility is that my G5 is somehow more picky about the cable quality or something. Does that kind of thing even occur? Like how some optical drives can my more finicky than others. If only I could find another DGL-4500/PowerMac G5 owner. Perhaps I'll try on the Apple Discussion boards. G5 owners tend to hang out there. :D

Just a shout out to everyone who's posted and offered assistance/suggestions, I really do appreciate your time and expertise. :)

I believe that's only for the WAN side, but I could be wrong :)

Interesting...

You know, sometimes it's not THE device and THE cable that is having issues, but some other device connected to the Network causing the problem. A bad cable can drive a switch snake-shit really quick.

Have you torn the thing down to parade-rest, and and had only the G5 connected to the router?

Thanks very much for the reply TechLarry. I suppose I could give all fresh cables I shot, but I'm still left wondering why it is that my Intel MacBook connects to the DGL without issue using the exact same cables.

I'm looking at my MacBook's Network Utility right now that states it is connected via Ethernet and the Link speed is 1Gb. System Info on the router indicates a secure, non-cycling hardwire connection.

:confused::confused::confused:

Interesting...

Indeed. :D

Have you torn the thing down to parade-rest, and and had only the G5 connected to the router?

Yes, I have had only the G5 connected to the router, well, it and my modem.

I just purchased an Edimax nMax Wireless 802.11n PCI Card from OWC. Hopefully it will get here early next week and hopefully it will work! Hardwiring isn't imperative.

I could very well be the result of a combination of things. I'm thinking of also ordering some new Cat5e cables from Monoprice to try that out since the cables I have are Cat6 and might be mucking things up in combination. They might be fine with my G5 and the DIR-625 since it's only 10/100, but maybe it goes wonky with the Gigabitness of the DGL.

I'm thinking of also ordering some new Cat5e cables from Monoprice to try that out since the cables I have are Cat6 and might be mucking things up in combination. They might be fine with my G5 and the DIR-625 since it's only 10/100, but maybe it goes wonky with the Gigabitness of the DGL.

Cat5e can do 1gb and below.
Cat6 can do 10gb and below.

You would be downgrading. Don't do it.

Cat5e can do 1gb and below.
Cat6 can do 10gb and below.

You would be downgrading. Don't do it.

I kinda figured that, but isn't it conceivable that the Cat6 cable could be the problem?
Or should I just try some new Cat6 cables?

I kinda figured that, but isn't it conceivable that the Cat6 cable could be the problem?
Or should I just try some new Cat6 cables?

Well Gigabit uses two more of the 8 cables than 100mb and if either are unconnected or damaged then it wont work. However if the cable works with other gig devices theb the cable is fine.

I think Cat5e and CAT6 are basically the same, with the exception that CAT6 has the optional "pain in the ass" coating and shielding :)

I changed all mine out to CAT6. I almost needed a pipe bender to get it around corners.

Indeed. :D

Yes, I have had only the G5 connected to the router, well, it and my modem.

I just purchased an Edimax nMax Wireless 802.11n PCI Card from OWC. Hopefully it will get here early next week and hopefully it will work! Hardwiring isn't imperative.

I could very well be the result of a combination of things. I'm thinking of also ordering some new Cat5e cables from Monoprice to try that out since the cables I have are Cat6 and might be mucking things up in combination. They might be fine with my G5 and the DIR-625 since it's only 10/100, but maybe it goes wonky with the Gigabitness of the DGL.

Open up System Preferences. Go to the Network pane. Go to the Ethernet Setup. Set the Media type/Link Speed/"Autoselect" and force it to gigabit full or half duplex.

Second. Open Up Terminal and run "ifconfig en0" and post what it displays with both the ethernet cable disconnect and connected to the router your having trouble with.

er. Do the Terminal part first.

Thanks for the reply c.d.e... I'll give that a whirl tomorrow and post the results.

For starters, this is the result while still connected to my DIR-625:

ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::20d:93ff:fe6e:dd64%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 192.168.0.143 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 00:0d:93:6e:dd:64
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control,hw-loopback>

Ok, here are my results.

Disconnected:

ifconfig en0
media: autoselect (none) status: inactive
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control,hw-loopback>

Connected to DGL

ifconfig en0
media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>) status: active

After Manual Ethernet tweak:

ifconfig en0
inet 169.254.54.135 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
media: 1000baseT <full-duplex> status: active

DGL Inactive:

ifconfig en0
media: 1000baseT <full-duplex> (none) status: inactive

Within seconds of each other watching my network status go on and off:

ifconfig en0
media: 1000baseT <full-duplex> status: active

ifconfig en0
media: 1000baseT <full-duplex> (none) status: inactive

One thing I do notice is that the inet changes from 192... etc to 169... after the Manual Ethernet tweak. Might that be of interest?

Edit: Link removed 'cause people are funny.

Hey c.d.e, any thoughts or comments on my Terminal info?

As an update, I managed to get a WirelessN PCI card up and running and connected successfully to the DGL wirelessly with no degradation in internet speed so far. Luckily I'm not doing any file transfers between computers.

It's a shame I have to resort to this, and I really hope that whatever MacPro I get in the near future can connect via hardwire without issue.

Thanks again to all those who posted to offer help and advice. Very much appreciated. :)

Personally, I recommend getting a new flux capacitor. I had a similar problem and that did the trick.

If the computer says it's only 100BaseT, then that's all you can do.
Gigabit uses all four pairs of a Cat5e or Cat 6 cable.

Back