Thermalright Ultra 120, 2 fans better than 1?

Just curious, does it help or impair?

I was thinking, 2 of the Scythe S-Flex's (the 1600 rpm ones) but want to make sure 2 is actually better than one in this case.

If two is better, what's the best way to set them up?

Fan1 -> |_| -> Fan2
or
Fan1 <- |_| -> Fan2
or
Fan1 -> |_| <- Fan2

Thanks guys!

PS don't diss my ascii blueprints! :p

If you went with 2 fans, I'd suggest your first example.
I tried a 2 fan setup, but my Antec P182's exhaust fan is close enough the second fan wasn't helping.

I tried a 2 fan setup, but my Antec P182's exhaust fan is close enough the second fan wasn't helping.

which way did you set the heatsink? I've got the p182 with this heatsink and right now I have it set up pointing towards the back of the case..so the scythe pushes air through the heatsink and out the back fan. i thought about rotating it 90 degress so the scythe would push air straight up and out the top fan, but my video card sits below that so i didn't know if it would be pushing hotter air through

What's this crap about 2 fans all about? Delta Sidewinder with a good fan controller. ._.

You'll want configuration one, with either fresh air intake from the rear/top (if applicable) fan... holes, or conventional airflow with a 5.25"-to-fan converter.

Mine's setup the same. Pushing air through towards the rear exhaust.
I'm using a Corsair CMXAF1 to cool my memory. So mounting the heatsink as I have it was my only option.
Using it mounted vertically, helps in keeping the memory cooler in my setup.
I ended up using my second Scythe S-FLEX blowing across my SLI'd GTXs.

Push -pull configuration with the air going toward the rear exhaust. But why bother. My Q6600 folds (3.5ghz, 1.4v, 95%cpu usage)at 43deg C with a single 1500rpm fan. Prime is at 58deg C

I've got the same setup and a second U120 DOES make a difference. I am running tricool 38mm fans all at the lowest speed and I get a consistent 3 degree drop when using a second fan JUST IDLING. I then switched to an Extreme 120 and got a 8 degree drop IDLING.

LOAD temps are way better with 2 fans. DO IT.

An old pic with my P5W DH...
p180bsyx1.jpg

Your 38mm's close the gap better than my current 25mm's did.
Your setup is almost like a straight duct and I see how it could help.

Back