AMD Releases Next-Generation CPUs after Phenom failure

Man, every day there is something new in this tale, it's getting difficult keeping up with all the twists and turns. I honestly hope some good will emerge from this.

I wonder if we will see an increase in price for the 6000+ and the 6400+ BE due to them being discontinued? I picked a 6400+ BE up for around 230, only to see it drop to 170, talk about being a little peeved. Hell if they get much cheaper, I may pick up a spare.

Very serious question :

Where are these 'next gen' chips ??

No offence.The link lists,what is nothing more then warmed up leftovers. :confused:

Also,I think its a bit premature to call Phenom a failure :rolleyes: Now if nothing has
changed in say 6 months,maybe then...

Look what I found :D

The last Pentium D, 935 was released in Jan 2007 while Core 2 was released in July 2006. Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors
http://genius19.wordpress.com/2007/03/04/core-2-duo-e4300-vs-pentium-d935/
So did Intel release the Pentium D because they realised six months later that the Core 2 architecture is a failure?

WTF is wrong with you guys? Anything that AMD do is wrong but you said nothing when Intel did the same thing :(

Wish I knew if the 6000/6400's were being replaced or just discontinued. Would they offer a 1mbx2 L2 cached cpu after? The article don't mention it, or all 11 of the new cpus.

I might have to jump on the 6400 sooner than I thought now..

I am trying to decide between the 6000+ and 6400+ BE still. from what I've read the 6400+ has hardly any headroom anyway and you need a good cooler even at stock speeds. if that is the case I'd rather save 30 bucks and get the 6000+.

The last Pentium D, 935 was released in Jan 2007 while Core 2 was released in July 2006. Source:
So did Intel release the Pentium D because they realised six months later that the Core 2 architecture is a failure?

WTF is wrong with you guys? Anything that AMD do is wrong but you said nothing when Intel did the same thing :(

good show! This man has seriously pwned the OP,

/thread and the OPs dignity for today

good show! This man has seriously pwned the OP,

/thread and the OPs dignity for today

More so,Intel may have somewhat screwed the pooch as well with thier upcoming 45 quads.Hopefully this gives AMD a little breathing room.

Still not all erratas are created equal.Some are worse then others.Given AMD's dire straights,I almost....almost wish they'd (INTC) make a few more fumbles.

i'm not hoping that intel screws up as much as i'm hoping that AMD magically fixes itself soon. I really want their 45nm process to be on time, and their K10 to ramp to the 3.5ghz+ bracket soon.

barring that.... i guess i'll just settle for a quick and ultra efficient K10 ramp so AMD gets some of that sweet OEM money

They're probably going to use that supercomputer to run their nuclear test simulations on. lulz.

Was anyone else expecting to hear that AMD was switching to another socket?

Intel's main high end product didn't screw up, while AMD's did. It doesn't compare.
I wouldn't mind amd making shitty releases if they had great cpus around.

Before you shoot the messenger
bang

Look, analysts go to the AMD events because they love being lied to. They don't even bring boots. Nearly 80% of AMD float is institution owned (probably more since they became Arab Micro Devices), and the "analysts" are not going to spoil their own party. Just keep that in mind over the next week or so when you hear AMD promising the world through their compliant minions.

err what does that have to do with anything?

Pentium D was on the roadmap all along. AMD had nothing on their roadmap about these new processors. Completely different situation.

but let us ignore that fact for now

The Pentium D was obviously meant for low-end emachines..... these new processors are AMD's top-of-the-line for the holidays and they are LAST generation cpus.
See the difference now?

or am I still "pwnd" :( ?

Pentium D was on the roadmap all along. AMD had nothing on their roadmap about these new processors. Completely different situation.

The Pentium D was obviously meant for low-end emachines..... these new processors are AMD's top-of-the-line for the holidays and they are LAST generation cpus.
See the difference now?

umm i think i sell some pwnage, nice post

See the difference now?

So it is ok to release a slower CPU as long as it is on a roadmap? May I know when did AMD put their Black Edition and energy efficient CPU on their roadmap?
The AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ will be the first to jump on the new 65nm K8 bandwagon with a 65W TDP. The previous Windsor-based chip of the same featured an 89-Watt TDP. AMD will also add 100 MHz to the core frequency of the Athlon 64 X2 5600+, now rated at 2.9 GHz. Total L2 cache will be halved in the move to the Brisbane core, and the updated Athlon 64 X2 5600+ chips will feature only 1MB of L2 cache. Availability of these processors is scheduled for Q1 2008.

AMD's higher-end Athlon 64 X2 6400+ and Athlon 64 X2 6000+ will both be discontinued.

AMD will also update its "Energy Efficient" series and will release three new chips, the AMD Athlon 4850e, Athlon 4450e, and Athlon 4050e in Q2 2008. All of the new offerings will be based on AMD's Brisbane core and will feature a 45-Watt thermal envelope. AMD's current energy efficient "BE-2xxx" series will be phased out at that time. Respectively, the new chips will run at 2.5GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.1GHz.
AMD is relesing a die shrink of their previous CPU with less cache + 100MHz speed bump which is still slower than their 90nm 6400+and suddenly they are releasing a top-of-the-line cpu for the holidays? :eek:
So do you think that the newer Brisbane is not meant for low-end emachines?

Speaking of roadmaps, or lack thereof, Charlie @ theinq seems to have finally ended his denial (nevermind lapping up and regurgitating every lie AMD told him): http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/08/amd-barcelona-right-royal-mess
The roadmap situation has slipped from comical to changing days after release, and that shows little sign of improving.
From this point on, what needs to be done? For AMD it is quite simple: shut up and deliver. Make damn sure your roadmaps are 100 per cent accurate. If this means only putting out roadies that look one month out and taking baby steps for that month, great, that is what you have to do.

Credibility is easily chucked away and very hard to regain. There isn't much to chuck away at this point, so the only way to go is up. When Intel was at the bottom of the Prescott disaster, it promised to deliver roadmaps with 90 per cent or more accuracy. It did. It promised to deliver better chips. It did. It promised to deliver on time. It did. AMD has to do exactly that.
And yeah, it does matter if it's on the roadmap. The 935 was the last hurrah for Netburst (in a recast value segment... remember it was Intel who started low cost dual core pricing several months earlier, not that they could charge much for those after Core 2) and a way to clear Presler inventory without eating into Core 2 segments. It came out a year after the 930, which included VT that the 935 lacked. January 2007 had Netburst ramping down rapidly, and now at the end of 2007, Netburst is virtually gone from all segments, as planned: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060629145725.html Those pesky roadmaps, or lack thereof. :p

Anyways. who knows what Kuma will launch at? From the K8 resurgence announcement, apparently not competitive enough so we'll get 2.9GHz K8 brown bananas. Don't even get me started on mobile.

So it is ok to release a slower CPU as long as it is on a roadmap? May I know when did AMD put their Black Edition and energy efficient CPU on their roadmap?
AMD is relesing a die shrink of their previous CPU with less cache + 100MHz speed bump which is still slower than their 90nm 6400+and suddenlyemachines they are releasing a top-of-the-line cpu for the holidays? :eek:
So do you think that the newer Brisbane is not meant for low-end ?

Did you read the post? Intel's main high end product release was not a FLOP while AMD flopped

You seem in denial, AMD is struggling to even catch up to intel's farts, and if there is no competition we lose

AMD K-10 server chip is in far better shape than its desktop counterpart. AMD has not dead yet. Let's give them some hope. By the way, I don't like Hector. He braggs too much.

bang

Look, analysts go to the AMD events because they love being lied to. They don't even bring boots. Nearly 80% of AMD float is institution owned (probably more since they became Arab Micro Devices), and the "analysts" are not going to spoil their own party. Just keep that in mind over the next week or so when you hear AMD promising the world through their compliant minions.

No matter,what Ed says makes damn good sense,if you cant beat em join em ! With some honesty.Something sorely due from AMD right about now.Other then that your post was damn funny. ;) Our broker thinks that AMD will get more funding from the Arabs soon.As to them spoling thier own party,your right about that.

Did you read the post? Intel's main high end product release was not a FLOP while AMD flopped

You seem in denial, AMD is struggling to even catch up to intel's farts, and if there is no competition we lose
How can we lose when now we have more options for $300 quad core CPUs? Heck if you wanna buy a $1000+ CPU, good for you. I would just buy a cheaper CPU, and spend the rest of the money for a much better video card. I don''t know why a lot of people complain when they can't buy a faster $1000 CPU and a faster $600 video card. I'm happy that I can buy a quad core at €220 and a HD3870 at €200. If I go with an AMD platform, I could also get a highend 790FX mobo at less than €150. If there is a Q6400 at €150, I would just buy that.

I guess that Intel can't release any faster Conroe until the end of Q1 2008 because they delayed the Yorkfield, if they do that, we will get a new "Intel releases Next-Generation CPU after Yorkfield failure" thread.

How can we lose when now we have more options for $300 quad core CPUs?

hang on a minute: whether or not you have "more options" at that same price point is irrelevant when one option is significantly better performing (with better overclocking, and with better power efficiency etc. etc.).

I'm probably one of the biggest AMD fanboys, and have been for quite some time; however, I'm not blind. Phenom is complete and utter garbage. I'm incredibly disappointed.

So lets check the tally: Conroe and Penryn are significantly faster clock per clock. Conroe and Penryn are able to maintain significantly lower TDPs. Penryn has the cost advantage for Intel's production by virtue of its MCM setup and 45nm process. Conroe is readily available, and judging by Intel's past performance, Penryn should be readily available as well when Q1 hits (for the lower end of the price segment). Hell, even for the hardcore users (like most here at [H], including myself) both Conroe and Penryn overclock like beasts.

Intel seems to have all its ducks in a row with its roadmap, and it's making me even more worried when I hear that they're "re-introducing" K8.

Intel seems to have all its ducks in a row with its roadmap, and it's making me even more worried when I hear that they're "re-introducing" K8.

Agreed, and huzzah for beating a dead horse once again, AMD that is.

hang on a minute: whether or not you have "more options" at that same price point is irrelevant when one option is significantly better performing (with better overclocking, and with better power efficiency etc. etc.).
It is not about having "more options" at that same price point but it is about having more cheap CPUs, if the Phenom is faster than the current quad, guess what the price would be. Btw Conroe and Penryn are not significantly faster clock per clock, it is faster but not significantly. Heck even if Intel's latest Yorkfield is faster than AMD fastest Phenom available now, I couldn't be bother by a €1000 CPU. I would just get a €200 quad and OC it. I doubt that an OCed €1000 CPU would be 5x faster than an OCed €200 CPU.

One thing that I noticed is when Intel has a faster CPU, AMD would insanely cut their CPU price, which is good for us but when AMD has the performance lead, they sell their CPU at a higher price because, well, Intel know that they don't need to cut their price for people to buy their CPU. Look at the Pentium D vs X2 days, Intel could still sell their inferior product at a higher price.

Back