Compiz-Fusion Effects Not "Enabling" on Fedora Core 8

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm a Linux vet so feel free to throw any ideas you have about this at me. However, this is the first time I've tried messing with eye-candy like compiz. I'm using the desktop rig in my signature.

I've installed Fedora Core 8 and the latest nVidia binary drivers from the Livna repo. I'm using GNOME as my window manager. Following page 1 of the tutorial here: http://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-fedora8-ati-mobility-radeon-9200 I can get "desktop effects" working. However, I can only get windows wobble and desktop cube effects to work.

I've started ccsm and selected that effects I would like to use, but they never enable. Namely, I've enable "Desktop Wall" and "Ring Switcher" and neither effect ever becomes enabled (even after checking the box next to their names). What do I need to do to get these effects enabled?

Hmmm.

keybindings are probably going elsewhere. Ringswitcher doesn't work with another one of the swithchers..

I don't use desktop wall so I'm not sure.

But the keybindings are a common problem. Check each of the effects and see what the bindings are and then set each to something different (or disable the one you don't want)

EDIT: if wobbly and cube are working, you're 99% there.. the rest is simple config (keybinds, missed "enable"s, etc)

Wobbly windows and the cube are default in Fedora, and will work with any hardware. I think the problem is likely your video card, I have seen numerous reports of people having problems with the 8800 series....

From a terminal, enter the following...

Code:
glxinfo | grep direct

If you get "direct rendering:yes" try uninstalling the drivers your using and run Envy and see if that helps.....

That's all I got, hope it helps.....

Wobbly windows and the cube are default in Fedora, and will work with any hardware. I think the problem is likely your video card, I have seen numerous reports of people having problems with the 8800 series....

From a terminal, enter the following...

Code:
glxinfo | grep direct
If you get "direct rendering:yes" try uninstalling the drivers your using and run Envy and see if that helps.....

That's all I got, hope it helps.....

I did get direct rendering:yes when I grepped glxinfo. does Envy work for Fedora? The web page explicitly states that it's for Debian distros.

I should also add that I already knew that wobbly windows and desktop cube were the defaults for Fedora because they're all you can manipulate with System->Preferences->Look and Feel->Desktop Effects.

Interestingly, I disabled Wobbly Windows and Desktop Cube in "Desktop Effects" and then tried to enable them with ccsm and they would not become active.

I didn't think about that, I'm not sure it will... sorry.

I haven't had any success getting Compiz working on my Fedora machine, it's been nothing but a headache for me and I'm about two seconds on giving up on Fedora all together..

I really think the problem is your card.... I'm not sure I have talked to anyone who has had luck with Compiz and the 8800 series.....

Back